Author Topic: New to CAS -- Reloading for Pistol/Rifle  (Read 4700 times)

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New to CAS -- Reloading for Pistol/Rifle
« on: January 24, 2015, 05:16:29 PM »
I have been reloading for many years, but for 45 ACP and 223.
Now that my interest has shifted to CAS, I have some questions (45 Colt revolver and Rifle):
1) Does one load the same recipe for rifle and revolver?
2) Will the rifle be more picky about COL,
3)Any other advice greatly appreciated it

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New to CAS -- Reloading for Pistol/Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
#1 Most everyone does.
#2 Some are especially the '92.
#3 With shotshell components as expensive as they are, most people just buy a case of dove loads.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 06:15:22 PM »
No reason for different loads as neither rifle or revolver demand anything except reliability.  Since pistols don't care much about OL but rifles might, suit the rifle IF it doesn't like standard OL.   You are going to start with that right?  

Don't worry too much about working for ultra-light loads.  They require charges that often won't meter uniformly with a number of the popular powders, and the top shooters have proven that weaker loads can actually cost you speed (which is about the only demand in the game).   Start with a recommended start load for whatever components you can find or already have.  If you decide it'd be nicer to shoot softer loads, work down from that start load.   There are a number of favorite powders and some cast bullet suppliers people will recommend.  If you're looking for that kind of guidance, there are plenty who will heap it on you.   About the only detail that matters is to look for a bulky powder to make double charging more obvious.  

have fun

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:52:52 AM »

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 10:31:55 AM »
Re: Rifles being picky about COL.  This is true but only in the sense the loaded cartridge has to be long enough to function and not too long to function reliably.

Rossi's out of the box generally will feed a round nosed flat point better than say a Semi Wad Cutter.  My Rossi preferred a pretty good crimp (nice and round vs a rough case mouth dragging on cylinder - think 9mm or 45 Auto that has a taper crimp living the case mouth to head space on)

When shooting 38s out a rifle chambered for .357 many rifles will require shooting a longer thus heavier bullet, or seating the lighter shorter bullets out farther than normal.  With the 45 colt you are talking about shooting you will find the COL a lot less critical than when shooting .38s out of .357 or 44 special out of 44 mag. Pretty easy to test with dummy rounds.

Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:05:36 PM »
When I first started reloading I'd pick a factory load that had the bullet shape and weight I liked. If that feed in my rifle then I'd load my rounds to that same length. This always worked for me. Of course you can try some one else' reloads to see if it'll feed but it sure better be someone you trust if you're going to shoot'm.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:58:45 PM »
The only thing I would add to the above is to work up several loads with several different powders from different manufacturers.  Finding components can sometimes be a pita as you probably know.  If you can't find favorite #1, you can keep your eyes open for favorites # 2 and #3.  Fine accuracy such as in bullseye or bench rest shooting isn't necessary.  We're talking 18 inch plates at 5-15 yards.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 09:39:12 AM »
Whether I am shooting Holy Black or smokes (somewhat) less powder I use .45 Colt with a 200 grain bullet for the rifle and for the revolver the same bullet and the  ,45 Cowboy Special case. The same bullet but different charge weights of powder

Mostly I use these smokes (somewhat) less combinations to give my hands and wrists a rest from recoil. I do not shoot light (mouse phart) loads, but by the same token they are not full house loads.

HOLY BLACK is another story because it requires a full case load, but the recoil is not as snappy as with smokes (somewhat) less powder and is enjoyable to shoot.

Respectfully submitted
Bunk

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 12:14:38 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful info

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com