Author Topic: Gunslingers Magazine  (Read 12809 times)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Gunslingers Magazine
« on: January 23, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »
Sometime ago, back in December I noticed a new magazine on the racks in my area(northern Iowa), called 'Gunslingers-Firearms of the Old West'. It is published by Gun World, Spring Issue, Volume 1-Number 1. I picked it up twice, flipping through it without buying. Yesterday, while visiting the racks in my local 'big town', I succumbed to temptation and purchased one. Haven't read any article in depth yet, but it seems to have interesting articles and such. Have any of you in CAS City land had the opportunity to read the magazine yet. A fellow shooter and friend advised me of his positive view. As he advised, it has different authors than GOTOW. I looked through this forum and couldn't find any mention of Gunslingers, sort of surprised me-thought there would be some comment on it. What say you?
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Gunslingers Magazine
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:20:01 AM »
I bought a copy a few weeks ago.  Was fairly well done.  I think I am going to drop a check in the mail and get a subscription.  The articles were not just about reviews on the guns.  They also had a piece on SASS.  Read it and let me know what you think.  Was a thread on the SASS site.
Shawnee
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
Wow-Can't believe a magazine that is geared to pre-1900 era firearms isn't getting any pro or con reviews. Maybe it's not widely circulated across the USA, nobody's buying it to read it, maybe my region is a test circulation, or maybe nobody just gives a 'hoot'. Unknown factors there. They did have an article paring a shootout between a Sheriffs Deputy wielding a Glock and a CAS Cowboy wielding a '73 style Colt. Interesting shoot out. Thought maybe some of the "Article Nazi's" that come out of the woodwork from time to time put some kind of ban on the magazine, declaring it "not period correct".  Oh well, at least the Gunslinger magazine wasn't over ripe with article's about old B-Western movie stars as 'Guns of the Old West' always is!!!!!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:48:16 PM »

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 11:03:25 AM »
Hmmm....sure this isn't one of those "specialty" magazines? I stopped at a place here in Chicago that carries
just about every English Language magazine available and wasn't able to find it. Anyone?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 01:34:36 PM »
I saw them at my local grocery store and got one.. Will look at it later this evening.

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 01:22:34 PM »
I subscribed to this mag today.  I'm a little disappointed it's only 4 issues a year.  Hopefully the content will make up for a quarterly publication.

Offline Tommy Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 03:52:16 PM »
Hello Half Hitch.  Could you provide a link or information concerning how you subscribed.  All I can find is access to a digital version of the first issue.  Thanks.

TR
Tommy Reb

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 09:54:18 AM »
What I found isn't called Gunslinger's.  The only magazine I found under that name was a special edition.  Here's the one that I subscribed to.

http://gunsoftheoldwest.com

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 12:21:36 PM »
After I purchased 'Gunslinger', posted the 1st post on this thread, and had time to read "Gunslinger', I don't think I'd buy another one, much less subscribe. Four issues a year isn't much for what you pay, plus the articles I read in the one I bought aren't in depth enough to get me to rave anything about the magazine. Not trying to implicate I know all there is to know about guns, shooting, CAS shooting, etc, but the articles are a little lacking for information. If I was just starting to shoot handguns, especially of the 'Old West' variety, I could glean some information, but having been at it since the early 70's (been shooting/hunting since mid 60's), I couldn't find enough information in 'Gunslinger' to wet my appetite for it. Magazines that are geared to those that have no knowledge or just starting out in firearms are needed, but when you've been at it awhile, magazines with a 'little more meat' in its content are more desirable. Had one other long time shooter advise me he had the same thoughts about 'Gunslinger'. In one way I hate to write this about a firearms publication as information needs to get out 'the troops', but I like to gravitate to those magazines for me anyway that don't tell me what I already know or just give a taste of what information is available. Just my opinion. 

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 07:48:13 AM »
I thought I'd give it a shot for a year.  I agree with Crow Choker and have found that for the most part, magazines that are on the news stands publish the same stories and articles year after year with new photos.  Only the new product reviews and the advertisers change.  How many different ways can you fish for bass, stalk a white tail or learn how to break down your favorite cowboy gun?  Hopefully I'll learn a little more about the history of some of the guns and maybe pick up a few techie tips. 

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 08:13:13 AM »
I think you'll like GOTOW , I have subscribed for years...

you are right in some cases the same subjects sometimes  are re hashed ....

Adler is self-serving and repetitive
our own Mike Beliveau does a good job
Phil Spangenberger has some good informative pieces
 Bill Bell is OK too....

I forget his name, but I miss his old Silver Screen actor "where are they now"  pieces

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 03:37:49 PM »
Major, it was C. Jack Lewis who used to write about the old cowboy actors. I enjoyed his articles as it brought another dimension to the magazine. I also have been generally pleased with GOTOW over the years. I think Dennis Adler has been an asset and find his material well written and researched, and his contacts within the industry are a bonus.Since this is really the only "cowboy shooting" magazine left, I hope people support it so it doesn't go away like some of the other decent publications like SHOOT magazine. Then we will all be complaining that no one publishes this type of periodical.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline bowiemaker

• Maker of sharp pointy things
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 08:38:26 PM »
That is the frustrating thing about magazines. I used to write for Blade magazine. They would give me some interesting assignments but limit the story to 1200-1500 words when it would take several pages to really cover the story in depth. I hated having to cut out so much of what I thought was interesting and relevant information. As for reviews, they will not bite the hand that feeds them. They would never say anything negative in a review of an advertisers product.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline Cholla

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 05:55:35 AM »
Here is the link to subscribe or buy back issues.
https://engagedmediamags.com/outdoor/gunslingers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 10:21:07 AM »

I think I have been Deprived.  Or Depraved.  Something.  I have never seen a "Gunslingers" Magazine.  I think I'm going to go pout.

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 11:49:07 AM »
I flipped through one at Books a Million today.  Just flipped, mind you, but I was not impressed.  Making things up since I don't remember specifics:  a short article on why Wild Bill was the original gunslinger, a short (no in-depth details) article on why John W. Harding was the baddest of the bad, a two page article on the "Vengeance Ride" with on 2x2" map.   IOW, nothing new or interesting.
Scouts Out!

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 09:28:11 AM »
Haven't seen a Gunslinger mag in my area (N.Central Iowa) for several years. In fact GOTOW has pretty much disappeared from all of the various places that used to stock them in the last 4-5 months.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 01:19:40 PM »
I ordered a back issue of this magazine to see what it's all about. The description is exactly what I'm interested in...then I got one. Good grief, what a poorly laid out, written, and photographed magazine. Every one is entitled to their opinion but mine is, don't waste your money.

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com