Author Topic: Ever Been Hassled About Shooting BP at a Match?  (Read 31131 times)

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: Ever Been Hassled About Shooting BP at a Match?
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »
HolliferADollar....
the humidity was high & wind was absent
I was born and raised in P-cola...I can relate...and Tejas ain't much differ'n.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 02:23:40 PM »
I must be different as I simply LOVE the smell of real BP!!  ;)

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2015, 02:56:29 PM »
When I was in the USN, after a night of heavy partying, we use to report in for morning Muster after hanging our faces over the Liquid Oxygen (LOX) Cart tanks bleed off valve.
After getting involved with the N-SSA, I found the smell of black powder smoke did as well as the LOX cart bleed off.

I looked for a funny face I could add to posting to make it funny... there were none.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 05:26:23 AM »

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2015, 04:59:58 PM »
Nobody is hassled at our club about BP as we have put on the last two State Black Powder championships.  I also do Civil War reenacting and there you better like the smell of BP.   ;D  ;D
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2015, 07:00:47 AM »
Good Troy and I shoot at the same club, and we're blessed with a significant number of BP shooters.  And those that don't (still the majority, dang it!) like to have us shoot.

There's nothing like the booming echoes up and down the range when someone cuts loose in rapid fire with a 45-70 lever action with full service loads of BP going after Cody Dixon targets!  ;D

It also causes some chagrin among the heathen powder shooters when I beat them in both accuracy and speed on the long range lever gun match using BP........... :o
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Hogleg Hunter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2015, 09:35:25 PM »
Most of what I hear is "I bought a couple of those but don't know how to load them. Can I watch you?" :-\

Offline Truly Grits

• Very Active Citizen
  • THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2015, 04:52:17 PM »
Thanks everyone! I just got back from my first sanctioned CAS event. I would like to thanks everyone here on the Dark Side for all the information shared and answering all my questions. Yes, there was some very "tongue in cheek" ribbing about my choice of propellants, all meant in good fun of course. Thanks again to all of my pards here on CASCity. Thanks to you, I believe that I was able to uphold the honor of the Dark Arts and it's practitioners.

Cheers!
A wise person once said ...
There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it.
You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good.
So love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't.
Life is too short to be anything but happy.
Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living. Cheers!

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2015, 12:22:14 PM »
Nice work Grits!  Keep it dark and dirty, yours

Mean Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2015, 02:18:25 PM »
No I am usually the smart a$$ that is the hassleor not the hasslee and giving the smokes somewhat less powder shooters a hard time about my shooting the real gun powder not a substitute.

If anyone ever gave me a hard time I would simply tell them to bugger off.

We have from time to time other real gun powder shooters, and I try to carry the flag if I have time to get ammo loaded, if not I am ashamed to say I do shoot the nitro stuff, but not in my BP guns.  That is a mortal sin.

Load ‘em heavy boys
They air a’comin'
Bunk

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2015, 04:22:54 PM »
Just a quick question to one side:
Reading this thread most of the contributors shoot CAS and I understand that
when you say BP is accepted this automatically speaks to Cap and Ball as well
as Single Action. My question is where would a cartridge conversion fall into this.
When I say this I don't mean a historic conversion as have been discussed in
other threads. Rather I am talking about a modern cylinder that has been
constructed to fire cartridges from a cap-and-ball pistol. Say the cartridges were
BP loads, would the modern Cap-and-ball conversion be kosher?  Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2015, 07:52:45 PM »
I must be one scary sob, aint ever had one complaint concerning bp, dress codes, X-draw pistols or any of the other on-line rude manners that would seem so common.  I am thinking those who do openly show such a lack of sportsman like conduct must not last long in the real world.  Now habitation of  the world of the internet is another another breed of cats all-together, a really nasty/vocal bunch sometimes. 

Whether one or a half dozen bp shooters, all I have ever seen them endure at a match is a bit of corny, well worn joking about.  You will usually be the star of the show.  If media, cameras or just plain spectators show up at a match, they will usually be taken to see the guy(s) that are making smoke before they can leave.   

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »
We have been growing more and more BP shooters here in VA! Me and a few shooters do warn the RO's when we bring 10 gauge guns to the line.
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Don Kenna

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2015, 06:44:10 PM »
I've never been directly confronted about my use of black powder, but being primarily a black powder cartridge rifle shooter, one would not expect me to have been.  I did have one shooter at a gong match (which allows smokeless powder loads) tell me that "only an idiot would use black powder today.  The old timers used it because that's all they had."  I've seen him several times since, and maybe his never winning anything or even shooting well is somehow related to his thoughts on the matter.

But....There have been quite a few occurrences of forced coughing and comments on the order of "What is THAT?" and "You're going to blow your head off!"

I live in a thinly-populated, isolated area.  Some of the locals get together periodically for a "Cowboy Shoot."  Believe me, it's not CAS.  Scenarios and courses of fire are made up as they go along.  It's fun nonetheless.  I am the only one shooting black powder cartridges, which perplexes everyone else present.  More than once, I've been offered smokeless powder revolver and lever action rifle cartridges free of charge. 

The latest comedy was performed by some elderly male observers (meaning they were about my age) behind the firing line.  It became evident that they had no concept of electronic hearing protective muffs--"He can't hear you with them muffs on."  Although not shooting participants, they were incensed that I was allowed to use black powder at all.  They were additionally offended that I was too small of stature to be using a Colt SAA.   I am NOT making this up.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2015, 07:03:52 PM »
Bruce,
ANY powder that makes big smoke is good 'nuff to qualify as "BP" for our purposes. So don't worry about being a purist. The more smoke the merrier. Most of the conversions are for the 45LC in Remington 44s.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2015, 12:03:14 AM »
The best reply is to state that the West wasn't won on Bullseye or Unique.

Offline Thumb Buster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2015, 07:32:26 AM »
+1 What Fox Creek Kid said!! 
"Those who pound their guns into plowshears will plow for those who didn't"  --Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2015, 08:08:56 AM »
Bruce,
ANY powder that makes big smoke is good 'nuff to qualify as "BP" for our purposes. So don't worry about being a purist. The more smoke the merrier. Most of the conversions are for the 45LC in Remington 44s.

Thanks....much appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com