Author Topic: Speed loader for S&W break tops??  (Read 12760 times)

Offline Cinch ring Sam

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Speed loader for S&W break tops??
« on: January 22, 2015, 12:15:28 AM »
As the proud owner of a new Schofield wells fargo 5" in 38spl(got tons of brass). I was wondering whether anyone back in the 1870s
& 1880s came up with  a speedloader for the break tops? Seems like someone should have, as smart and innovative as these guys were. Maybe Maj. Schofield? Does anyone out there have any idea what might fit. I haven't measured anything yet. Thought I would check here first. Seems I heard of something, or read of it, but I cannot remember. Getting old ain't for sissies guys! Just looking at the cylinder maybe an HKS for a S&W M28 might work.......... Now before anyone gets upset about using modern stuff, please understand that this is a fun thing and is because I am curious.
 As a former LEO have used them for years, and was just wondering.
                                                                                                      Cinch Ring Sam   Boss #227
cinch ring sam

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Speed loader for S&W break tops??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 02:15:49 AM »
Periodically, this question gets asked.

Here's the historical answer, but not quite the answer you're looking for, since Schofield revolvers were only chambered in .45, and not in .38, so I don't know if a K-Frame speedloader will work.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:58:11 am »

They did - there was a wooden 'spool' that was cut to fit the round and they were held in place by a glued paper strip, or a brass one.

They were called the 'Kelton Pistol Pack' and they were invented by Brevet Brigadier General John C. Kelton, who was granted two Patents - #331,891 - issued on December 8, 1885, and # 394,373 - issued December 11, 1889.

A similar device was manufactured by Colt - Patent # 402,424 granted to Carl J. Ehbets - and  was patented on April 30, 1889 - and they were sold to the Navy, along with the Model 1889 .38 revolvers.

No record of the number that Colt made, but it's doubtful there were many produced, and though they made 200 of the 'Kelton Pistol Packs'  for Trials with the Schofield - none were adopted - none were made for civilian use.

Back then, as now - the primary weapon was the long gun.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 09:43:17 AM »
I'd think a speedloader for a S&W M27 would come close, you'll just have to see. Many years ago I saw a photo of a British made speedloader, for one of their breaktops. It was all metal and for a large caliber handgun.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:15:04 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:22:51 AM »
And as mentioned earlier, that was the 'Prideaux Quick Loader' - made for the British Webley revolver.

They're a sought-after accessory when one collects Webleys, and they're most commonly found in England, when they're found at all.

Though somewhat cumbersome, the 'Prideaux Quick Loader' actually worked efficiently, but it was found to be equally easy to load single rounds, so you don't see a lot of them available today.

Again - they made them for .450 - .455 caliber - not lower calibers.

Scouts Out!

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 02:04:19 PM »
I use a brass tube (K&S Engineering) cut to hold 5 rounds. Similar to Blakeslee tubes. I tuck into my belt. With action open, barrel down I place the brass tube just under the barrel latch and use my off hand thumb to spin the cylinder allowing the fresh rounds to drop into the empty chambers. I've made them to fit .32's, .38's, .44's and .45's. The K&S tubing is available at most hobby shops. The tubing is telescopic with each diameter being 1/32" larger than the next. Choose a inside diameter that will allow the cartridge rims to slide inside easily. 
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 02:26:48 PM »
What do you wish to accomplish with this innovation?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 05:31:24 PM »
The Schofield isn't exactly a 'shoot-fast' sort of revolver, what with the trigger finger manipulation and retraining one has to do.

That's why you don't see them winning much - you just see them being shot in side matches and being carried.

You can load them about as quickly as one would want just by using a handful taken from a vest pocket, and that's pretty much what the Army did - substituting the old Civil War cap pouch for a vest pocket, since the nifty little quick loaders weren't often seen, much less used.

The military found that keeping things at their simplest was best all around - so that's precisely what they did - they weren't seeking a mechanical advantage for speed, since speed reloading just wasn't an issue at all in the reality of their world.

Scouts Out!

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 05:52:27 PM »
St. George,

I very much agree with all you have suggested.

My request for info is based on the OP quest for Speed loaders. What is it that he/they wish to accomplish?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 12:04:51 AM »
Beats me...

Every so often a new Schofield owner asks this question - they all get the same answer.

Scouts Out!

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 12:01:18 PM »
For speed loaders you might try some of the cartridge collecting forums or the British Military and Webley forums for information.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 01:25:48 AM »
That would be fine if one were looking for a Prideaux Quick Loader - but that isn't the case.

An original Kelton would be more expensive than the revolver and the relevant information is already referenced and can be found by using the relevant Patent Office information I supplied.

Scouts Out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com