Author Topic: Pyrodex loads in the 1860 Army 44  (Read 6719 times)

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pyrodex loads in the 1860 Army 44
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:51:31 PM »
Have any of you out there ever used 30 gr. Pyrodex pellets behind a .454 ball in a 1860 Army? A friend gave me 2 cans of 100 each yesterday. They  say they are for 44 and 45 cal. percussion revolvers. I have loaded 20 grains but never 30.
Thanks

Reno

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Pyrodex loads in the 1860 Army 44
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 06:11:01 PM »
I bought a couple of cans to try out to see if they might be useful when I am on the road and want everything as simple as possible.  Easy to drop one in the chamber and seat the ball, BUT they had a lot of recoil.  Felt more like 40 or 50 grains.  I still have a can and one-half that has been under the counter for four or five years.  On the road I use APP.  Mild recoil, you do not need any lube, and simple water clean-up.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 04:01:25 PM »
Reno,

I've used them in my Pietta Remington copies.  In fact, that is all I've used....but only about 25 shots so far.
I used them only because I didn't own a flask at the time, got invited to the range at the last minute, and I was anxious to shoot the newly purchased revolvers.

I was shooting a ball with a wonderwad on top of the pellet.  I didn't find the recoil too bad.  I did have a couple of times were there was a delay after dropping the hammer until the shot.  Just had a brief fizzling sound and then the boom.

I plan a trip to the range this weekend, and will go to loose powder now that I have a flask.  I don't believe the convenience of the pellets out weighs the added cost.  Plus, using loose powder simplifies my powder inventory...I can use the same loose powder as I use on my cartridges.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:00:12 PM »

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »
Thanks for your replys, as I have never used the pellets before. Iam going to shoot them up as they are to pricey to put on the shelf and forget.
Thanks again,
Reno

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 04:59:01 PM »
I tried them once in a couple pistols I owned, an 1860 and a Euroarms Remington .44, I don't remember much success with them. One pistol had hangfires, and the other wouldn't ignite them at all, unless you seated the ball deep enough to crunch them up some. I think it was the Remington that wouldn't light them, the cap had just enough force to push the ball into the forcing cone, where I had to use a rod to push it back so the cylinder would rotate. I think I've still got most of 2 cans of them, that someone else gave me.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 09:06:39 AM »
A friend has a pair of Pietta 51 Navies in .44 that he also has R&D cylinders for. We tried the Pyrodex pellets in both the percussion cylinders and the .45 Colt cartridge R&D's. No ignition problems, accurate at CAS distances. But, the things had noticable recoil that seemed greater than the claimed 30 grains.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline robtlah

• Lawdog Bob
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 10:18:40 PM »
When I was shooting.44  percussion in Cowboy action, I used the pellets (in Pietta Rem clones, and occasionally 1860 Army.) I found them to be a more powerful load than I desired. I usually load 25 grains of loose BP substitute when I shoot percussion and find that adequate for cowboy action and target shooting, and less annoying in terms of recoil, noise, and fouling. I still have a few cans of the pellets, but only use them occasionally in target shooting. As to regular match shooting, I switched to Howell conversion cylinders in .45 Colt for my Civil War era pistols and haven't looked back since! For target practice, or for the occasional Civil War life-fire competition event, I prefer 25 gr Hogdon 777 ffg
Lawdog Bob

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 06:49:13 PM »
I used them in my .44 Colt Chambered 1875 Remingtons.  Definitely not for the faint of heart. 
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com