Author Topic: Current Spencer price special?  (Read 6869 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Current Spencer price special?
« on: November 02, 2005, 08:04:04 PM »
At GAF muster this weekend, someone (Sgt. Drydock?) was telling me that somebody (Taylor's?) currently had a very good special/sale price on the Spencer carbine in .56-50 ....  I'm a bit foggy on the details, especially after two straight days of driving, but when I went on Taylor's website today I didn't see any special price offered.  Did I miss the sale, or misunderstand?  (I've sent an e-mail to Taylor's, but thougt it might pay off to enquire here, also.)

After playing a wee bit with Drydock's Spencer at Muster, I'd kinda like to get one ...

I prefer guns with a Canadian connection ... Canada acquired a quantity of Spencer rifles and carbines in .56-50 in about 1866 to meet the Fenian threat, until sufficient quantities of Snider-Enfields were received from Britain, so it would be an ideal addition to my arsenal, I'm thinking ...
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Online Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Current Spencer price special?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 08:20:05 PM »
RattlesnakeJack,

We had a SSS member who was trying to sell his Canadian Spencer awhile back. His alias is Story.  Check on page 3 of this forum for his old post.  He may still have it available. 

Are you joining SSS?  Always looking for new members, who enjoy shooting and writing about Spencers.  Look how quick I got you a Canadian Spencer lead!  C'mon and join us!

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 08:28:13 PM »
Howdy pard,

Long time no see (or yack!).  Taylor's had a special for awhile on the 56-50 for $700 dealer!  That's about $300 below normal dealer.  I think the deal is over, but if you call Tammy Loy at Taylor's on Monday or Tuesday, tell her you are an old pard of mine and I sent you.  She may be able to give you a deal still.  She ios at the NASGW show in Reno until Staturday.

I have a 56-50 Taylor's and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Did you ever get that .43 mauser going?  I still have the calander I traded you for the dies.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:53:36 PM »

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 08:59:21 AM »
I'm still holding out for the military rifle version.

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 11:48:07 AM »
I think I heard that they ARE honoring it as of last week.

It is only available to supplies in stock and on hand and only for the 56-50.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 12:00:24 AM »
I heard from Taylor's today, and they will still honor the special dealer price, if I can arrange a dealer in the US for them to send it to.

Am also looking into how much legal hassle would be involved in getting it from the US to Canada, and things are looking good in that area, as well!  If I am correctly interpreting the relevant provision of the U.S. Dept. of State ITAR ("International Traffic in Arms Regulations"), a .56-50 Spencer carbine replica would be exempt from export restrictions or even the need for an export permit!  (§123.17 "(b) District Directors of Customs shall permit the export without a license of nonautomatic firearms covered by Category I(a) of § 121.1 of this subchapter if they were manufactured in or before 1898, or are replicas of such firearms.")  Can anyone here confirm whether my interpretation is correct?   In fact, I think that there was some discussion at Muster that the .44 and .45 versions are treated differently than the .56-50 varsions - perhaps because, not being in the original caliber, they are not deemed to be true "replicas" of the original model. 

If that is the case, then apparently it means that I won't have to bother with obtaining an "International Import Certificate" (IIC) from the Canadian Dept. of Foreign Affairs and International Trade - because the IIC is really only needed to expedidite the US Export Permit process - i.e. as confirmation that the intended buyer/receipient is legally entitled to acquire the firearm in Canada.
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 08:43:48 AM »
The Spencer, Henry, and 73 & 92 Winchesters qualify.

Cap-n-ball revolvers get the same treatment...but that is because they are not considered firearms here in the US.

If I were you, I would be all over that like white on rice...

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 10:19:06 AM »
Hot Diggity Jack, I'm glad I tole you 'bout that!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 06:36:05 PM »
Hot Diggity Jack, I'm glad I tole you 'bout that!

Why's that, Sergeant?  You got stock in Taylor's, or Armi Sport, or somethin'? ;D  (Seriously, I realize that you are just gleeful at having brought another convert into the fold ....)

Actually, it is beginning to look like a definite "go"!  After speaking with Taylor's, our own good Marshal has proposed a deal on a .56-50 carbine that is irresistable!   Mind you, I'll also have to invest in a bullet mould, dies, brass, etc., and then work up a suitable load for yet another "one of a kind" caliber, but that's where the fun is!  ::) :D ;)

With luck, I'll soon be suitably equipped to fend off any dastardly Fenian Brotherhood raiders who show their faces in my area!

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 07:01:30 PM »
Note to self:  invest in Canadian reloading stocks . . .

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 07:23:47 AM »
Lee custom bullet sizing dies are on a 4-6 week backlog...

I am on week 2 and they said not to expect it early.  :'(

MidwayUSA has the "NEW" Lyman 56-50 dies in stock and they work perfectly.

I am using them in a 3 hold Lee turret and having excellet results.

I would recommend sizing all your brass and flaring the necks, then tumble & clean, then primer and load.
(my order of 100rds from Midway were slightly dinged at the mouths)

Offline Sloan Dodgy

• Soot Janitor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 10:41:47 AM »
Dang, fish heads and rice for me through the end of the year.  Just ordered a .56-50 to go with the .44 I've had for a couple of years.  It's all YOUR fault... ;D ::) ;D

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »
...  It's all YOUR fault... ;D ::) ;D

Who .... ME?!?!?    ??? 

No, no ... blame it all on Sgt. Drydock - he's the one who put me onto the deal! ;)   ;D

('Sides, fish heads and rice are good for ya' .... :P )

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 12:38:33 PM »
I'm still holding out for the military rifle version.

Thought about that option, but the price special wouldn't apply, of course ... and I figure I've already got enough "period" Canadian Infantry longarms (i.e. P'1853 Enfield rifle, Snider-Enfield rifle, Martini-Hery rifles) so a nice, handy carbine would now be in order, for a change. (Anyway, you've already got a Spencer carbine, haven't you?)

Besides, Canada acquired more carbines than rifles and, although the original purpose for the carbines was to arm cavalry, there are records of their issue to both artillery and infantry units ....

Gives me a reason to start developing yet another persona, with appropriate uniforming and equipment ....   ::) 

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 03:08:04 PM »
Well ... it's durn near official!  The Marshal has ordered my 56-50 Spencer carbine from Taylor's and  I have provided my credit card info ... so, is it time to "join up" yet?  (I figure so, and will be doin' just that!)

Part of the good news is that the Marshal has confirmed with the Powers That Be that this carbine falls within the "antiques and replicas thereof" exemption from export permit requirements.  That, in turn, makes things much easier for me at this end - although I will have to register the carbine under our inane laws in ordert to get it released to me by Canada Customs, when it gets that far.  (Our "antique" defintion does not extend to modern reproductions of percussion muzzleloaders, or breechloaders.  Matter of fact, since this is a "repeating" firearm, even an original would have to be registered ....)

Offline Sloan Dodgy

• Soot Janitor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 03:42:48 PM »
Congratulations!  I'll share my fish heads with you any time...

With any luck my .56-50 ought to arrive by the end of next week, and I just forked over the last of my funds for dies and supplies.  Between Spencers, Sniders and Army Colts I may just make it into the 1860s!

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005, 09:00:49 PM »
I kin see it now in "Health" magerzeen.  "Fishheads and rice, the "Spencer" diet.  Latest diet fad to sweep country.  Isolated reports from Canada as well . . ."

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 09:01:43 PM »
Thanks, Chili Mac ... and return congratulations, of course.

With the added distance, and rigamarole (even without the export permit ansd such) I imagine it will be quite a bit longer than that for me.   I'll just have to wait, I guess, however impatiently ...   :-\   (And that certainly won't make the fish heads and rice any more palatable!!!  I do hope you're properly ashamed of yourself, Sgt. Drydock!   :P )

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005, 09:34:46 PM »
 ;D  Well Jack,

WELCOME TO THE FOLD OF THE "ONE TRUE SPENCER!"  The Retro-Repater par-excelance, grandfather of all assault rifles!  If we were a religion, we would be considered by many to be a cult!

Think of it, we dress in strange costumes that many consider unusual (especially my wife), we perfom strange rituals in the garage or den reloading by dark of night, using dark and sulfurous powders, sometimes cursing and muttering foul oaths (when we tip over the primer tray).

Oh my gosh!  Next thing you know I'll be drinking chickoree, and eating hard tack and fatback!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com