Author Topic: Colt Lightning project 38-40 Help  (Read 8108 times)

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Colt Lightning project 38-40 Help
« on: January 17, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »
Hi all, just ordered a Colt Lightning medium frame rifle project. Needs a few parts to be functional. I have a question about the buttstock, its a shotgun style with colt horse on buttplate. Not the crescent rifle type. I know Winchesters lever guns had that option but Ive only seen the small frame 22 with it on Colts. It also has a 2/3 magazine tube. Its an 1886 production early model without dustcover. Anyone have any knowledge of the configs these came in? I'm assuming someone decided to get creative but wanted to be sure. Ive searched the net and can only find the standard info, nothing about special order or options that Ive found. It also needs sights and few small parts so if anyone has something they want to part with please keep me in mind.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Colt Lightning project 38-40 Help
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 08:03:00 AM »
Check The Smith Shop in Warwick, Rhode Island (www.thesmithshop.com) for parts.  They bought out the USFA parts inventory and they will fit original Colts.  I bought quite a few from them to work on an original Colt myself.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 03:42:54 PM »
That's fantastic BlackPowder, much appreciated!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:44:27 PM »

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 06:59:38 AM »
You're welcome.  You can also find several other sources (I don't remember precise ones) by doing a Google search for "parts for Lightning rifles).  They are more expensive, but there are several folks who are making reproduction parts.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »
Howdy,
Should the cartridges drag slightly on the rolled lip of the magazine tube or should they slide through freely?
Also, what is the cause of cartridges entering under the lifter.  The gun is a first model lightning rifle with a half magazine.
Regards
Colt

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com