Author Topic: Here's an interesting 1873 for sale.  (Read 11315 times)

Offline Cannon Jockey

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Here's an interesting 1873 for sale.
« on: January 17, 2015, 04:06:58 AM »
While browsing on Gunbroker.com, I came across the following listing from Turnbull.

It's an original standard Winchester 1873 sporting rifle with 24 inch octagon barrel in 38-40 caliber that has been restored to factory new condition by Doug Turnbull.   No fancy wood nor engraving but it does have a color case hardened receiver.  This feature cost $5 extra back in the day when this particular rifle was about $20 retail.    The color case receiver seem to be the popular norm for reproductions, but it was much less common on originals due to the extra cost.

Original 1873 in factory new condition

Anyway for only $10,500 you can have an original 1873 made at the New Haven plant, but restored to  "factory new" condition. 

Wouldn't this be impressive to take to the next CAS meet.

Man, if I could only hit that Power ball lotto, I know where the first ten grand would go.

Cheers
Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise by a vulgar brawl!

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
Re: Here's an interesting 1873 for sale.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 06:36:53 AM »
I simply don't understand how these Turnbull rifles get to $10,000+ dollars? A real good condition 1873 will sell for $3000. Top shelf wood will cost $1000......so we are looking at $6000 in labor?
Nice if you can get it. Does anyone know anyone that has actually bought one of these Turnbulls for this kind of money?
Let's not forget that. All collector value and antique appreciation is destroyed with one of these "restorations"
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 07:24:53 AM »
That's how I see it also rbertalotto!,,,,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:14:30 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 08:00:07 AM »
Let's not forget that. All collector value and antique appreciation is destroyed with one of these "restorations"

exactly,   asking and getting are two different things though.  :-\   all it take's is one with deep pockets and his expendable income. 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 09:36:34 AM »
Well, if Cannon Jockey will refinance his house there's at least one guy willing spent that much for that gun. ;D
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Cannon Jockey

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 12:26:26 PM »
I just thought it a neat and slightly wondrous thing, but I guess I'm alone.   To me it was just one of those unique firearm rarities, that the vast majority of us will never own.   If one ever found a time capsule with a 100 year plus old rifle in this condition it would probably cost at least 6 figures and not merely $10 grand.

Of course refinishing an antique rifle can ruin its collector value generally, but there are exceptions.   We don't know what condition this rifle was in when the restoration was done nor its history.    As it is though---it is a quite a one of a kind rifle.   Remember that this is a company that is one of the best in the business at what they do and I'm pretty sure they are capable of evaluating the effect of such a restoration.   I'm inclined to give them credit for actually knowing their business

Being merely comfortably retired,   I would never blow that kind of money on such thing.  However, to repeat---if I won the lotto for millions, then $10,500 would be pocket change.  It's all relative.    As to refinancing my house, don't give me any ideas. ::)

Cheers

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 01:47:49 PM »
Cannon Jockey:

You are not alone.  I can see both sides here, but I have an appreciation for restored guns like that.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 09:41:31 PM »
Any and every gun I own has to be a shooter. I got to shoot one of the last lot of Colt SAA that Wells Fargo bought. If I can't shoot it someone else needs to own it.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 05:49:32 AM »
My point exactly ....  " all it take's is one with deep pockets and his expendable income"

if $10 grand were mere pocket change, I just might be your Huckleberry , and I'd shoot it  too  :)

Offline pistol1911

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 07:01:56 AM »
It has always amazed me that rusted automobiles can be completely restored and still sell for big bucks to collectors. An old firearm restored,no collector value. Tell me why.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 08:07:19 AM »
I'm with you Cannon Jockey, I'd be proud to own AND SHOOT that old rifle!  And with Black Powder, of course!   ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 08:39:31 AM »
It has always amazed me that rusted automobiles can be completely restored and still sell for big bucks to collectors. An old firearm restored,no collector value. Tell me why.

Somewhat apples & oranges  :-\

where is it true ...say a 1968 Mustang restored either to OEM or restro-mod will bring serious money,  a survivor in mint factory condition will bring CRAZY money to the right serious money collector. 
Same for rare Dodges , Copo Chevies ,  not so much for the want to be replicas,  like a 427 CID dropped into a Chevy that was originally a 6 cylinder or small block....

Still there are collectors, who will want that replica ....  same with gun serious money collectors, they want the finest survivor and not a restored model..... others ( big money shooters)  will.

Watch Mecum or Barrett Jackson auctions and just drool ...   

Offline El Tio Loco

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 09:48:31 AM »
I would love to own that rifle as well........but not for $10,000.00.  They are still out there.  For me, an original 1873 Winchester with 60 percent condition for half the price would be a better bet.

I have refinished and brought back from the dead collectable firearms and I am proud to own them.  But it is still a refinish and not an original.

Here is an Ainsworth Colt made in 1874.  When I acquired it there was no finish and the barrel badly chopped.  The only original parts are the frame, loading gate, and hammer.  It is a quality restoration but it is  still is a refinish.  Oh yeah, and I shoot the heck out of it.

Offline Cannon Jockey

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 05:39:43 PM »
El Tio Loco,

That is one fine restored martially marked Colt.    Whoever did the work knew what they were doing.

Color me green with envy.

Cheers

Offline Wes Tancred

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 11:26:27 PM »
The price does seem high. A Winchester 1873 in fine original condition, with most of the finish reasonably intact, can be had for about $5,000 these days, though owners of such rifles are generally disinclined to fire them.

The work of Turnbull’s company is generally of very high quality, though they don’t really replicate the original Winchester finishes in all cases. Their case hardening generally has more blue colouration overall, which seems to be the fashion these days. And the loading gate of this rifle should be nitre blued. This particular rifle is somewhat restrained, but other Turnbull restorations seem garishly “over the top”.

I think that as time goes by, restoration—when done correctly (most aren’t)—will be more accepted, even by collectors. Often the rifles selected for restoration are in rather sad condition, so restoration not only makes them beautiful and like new again, but also makes them more attractive to any-one.

One can get a better deal than this. A good, solid, unaltered 1873, with no finish or “brown” finish can be had for $2,000 to $3,000, and a top-level restoration of such a rifle by Mike Hunter, for example—

http://www.mikehunterrestorations.com/

—who does replicate original finishes perfectly, will add $2,000 or a bit more. One could start with a lesser condition rifle, but restoration might cost more. There is probably an ideal level of initial condition that results in the lowest combined cost of purchase and restoration. If one can get a good candidate rifle for less, or if one already owns one, then the deal gets even better.

Thus, for about $4,000 to $5,000, one can have an original 1873 in essentially factory new condition—with better finish than the $5,000 original condition examples, on which the rust blue on the barrel and magazine (for example) even if unmarred will have turned somewhat brown, and on which the case hardening will have faded.

There is another thing to keep in mind about restoration. Very often, important parts are replaced by modern replicas, especially in high production shops like Turnbull’s. For example, the stocks of the rifle on GunBroker are clearly new replacements, albeit finished like originals by the look of them. The screws appear new as well, and other small—or even large—parts may be replacements, too. A careful restorer can save more of the originality of a rifle—though this can add to the cost.

Although there is an undoubted extra historical connexion in antique firearms that remain in original condition, I think there is a big difference between working rifles that were esteemed and well cared for (and from which the loss of finish does not detract), and the far more common survivors of decades of neglect or even abuse. The former display actual, substantial history in their appearance, and the latter, only the passage of time amidst diminished circumstances. I certainly don’t think there is anything wrong with top-quality restoration of the latter. It’s a kindness to a fine old rifle that wants to look its best, again.

Offline Cannon Jockey

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 02:17:29 AM »
I give.   You have all but sucked the fun out of my dream to purchase that rifle when I win the power ball lotto for $300 million.

I was going to take the up front pay out for half and then pay uncle Sam his 35% leaving me with only $97 million.   But I can see why I should bargain hunt to save a couple of thousand because blowing $10,500 on that rifle would only leave me with $96,989,500.
which would force me to only shop at Dollar General from now on.  ;D

Cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com