Author Topic: Anyone have interest in building a Remington Hepburn from a kit?  (Read 6008 times)

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I've wanted a Hepburn for quite some time now. But the prices keep going higher and higher. Seems they go up 10% a week!

These is a company called 'Upper Missouri Trading" that sells a cast parts kit. You buy it and do the finish machining and build your own Remington Hepburn.  Well, I bought one and it showed up a few days ago.

http://www.uppermotradingco.com/index.html

Lots of folks are asking for pictures of the as delivered Upper Missouri Remington Hepburn kit so they can get an idea of how much work this will entail. Your wish is my command!

This is not a "sandpaper" and Craftsman screwdriver project. It could be done with files, but you best have lots of time, elbow grease and know your way around a file. A milling machine is going to make this go a lot easier and more accurate.

The cast parts are taken from the molds, a slight amount of internal machining is done on the receiver, holes are drilled and taped.

The lower tang is about 1/16" proud of the receiver. I haven't looked at the specs yet to see if the receiver needs to be opened or the lower tang reduced in width.

The smaller cast parts are as delivered from the molds. These will easily be the most challenging.

The screws, springs and pins are of extreme high quality. Well finished and very hard.

Here are a few pictures:

More pictures here:
http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/things-that-go-bang/remington-hepburn/

I bet I've talked to a dozen folks that bought these kits and they have been sitting in a drawer for 10 years! Waiting for the time and courage to undertake it. But none of them wanted to sell the kit......"I'll get to it one of these days!"

The kit is available in two versions. "Machined" and "Un-Machined". This is the Machined kit. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to locate holes etc on the Un-Machined kit without some type of jig.

So, anyhow.....I'll get back to you in ten years or so and let you know how I'm making out!.... ;D

Hopefully this what I'll have to show!

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
Re: Anyone have interest in building a Remington Hepburn from a kit?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:30:52 PM »
/Hi

I had never heard if a Remington Hepburn so i started Surfing ....I foud thus in a round proprietal  to remington  that supposedly was used in the R-H ... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_Remington).Hope this helps ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
I'll never have the skills, or tools, to do this type of project.  I do, however, look forward to seeing reports of your progress and the finished rifle.  Hopefully, well before I shuffle off this mortal coil, or lose what meager wits remain to me!  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

Offline IRON JACK

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 05:34:16 PM »
I've had one of those kits for several yrs now. Hope you inspire me to get started.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com