Author Topic: .357/38 ammo for Winchester/Miroku 1873  (Read 8527 times)

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
.357/38 ammo for Winchester/Miroku 1873
« on: January 14, 2015, 01:29:37 PM »
Ok gents I'm gonna just get to it. As I'm awaiting my new Winchester/Miroku sporting 73 I'm in question on what kind of ammo to get for her. She is in .357/38. I don't reload but am interested in the cheapest priced ammo (not necessarily cheap quality) in .357/38. I currently have a Uberti 73 in .45 colt and I usually go through Georgia arms website. I can get .45 colt for .62 cents a round. But what is a reasonable price for 357/38? Also another question I have is I don't want to blow my gun up putting ammo that's to hot into my rifle. Is all factory ammo ok to use for the 73? Much appreciated guys

Respectfully,

Jeff
“Fiery men are soon put out.”

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .357/38 ammo for Winchester/Miroku 1873
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »
The closest commercial load that I've found that fed in a Winchester style levergun was 130gr Remingtons.  The bullets stuck out far enough so you won't get double-feeds.  I can't access Georgia Arms here, but I'm pretty sure they have a Cowboy section with .38 Specials, and should be relatively cheap.

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:11:54 AM »
Will 38 specials tend to jam in the 1873 rifles since the casing is shorter than the .357 mag? Also what shape of lead tip do I need? Round nose? Conical, RNFP? Can this gun handle anything else besides lead nosed bullets or cowboy loads? I've read where people have egnighted a primer in the tube magazine using round nose I believe. Just trying not to blow up my guns.  ??? Also can you run .38 long colt through a .357/38? One last thing, promise. If I decide to shoot black powder through my rifle where can I buy factory black powder ammo? Is Black Hills ammo BP? I'm very limited on my knowledge on .357/38 rifles and ammo as this Winchester/Miroku is my first rifle in this caliber. Bare with me. I'm 29 years old and never grew up with firearms but am adding to my collection. Old west guns tug on my interest and love the heck out of them!  ;D
“Fiery men are soon put out.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:46:26 AM »

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:48:36 PM »
Will 38 specials tend to jam in the 1873 rifles since the casing is shorter than the .357 mag? Also what shape of lead tip do I need? Round nose? Conical, RNFP? Can this gun handle anything else besides lead nosed bullets or cowboy loads? I've read where people have egnighted a primer in the tube magazine using round nose I believe. Just trying not to blow up my guns.  ??? Also can you run .38 long colt through a .357/38? One last thing, promise. If I decide to shoot black powder through my rifle where can I buy factory black powder ammo? Is Black Hills ammo BP? I'm very limited on my knowledge on .357/38 rifles and ammo as this Winchester/Miroku is my first rifle in this caliber. Bare with me. I'm 29 years old and never grew up with firearms but am adding to my collection. Old west guns tug on my interest and love the heck out of them!  ;D

For black powder ammo, check out Buffalo Arms.

Offline M113A3

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:39:03 PM »
I am researching 1873s currently focused on which Cal. is the best and the .357/38 is a logical choice for plinking, targets and even some hunting although the 44-40 has me interested from both a historical aspect and the excuse to learn to reload...

Anyway you may find this article of interest... Let me know what you think.

Cheers

http://www.chuckhawks.com/winchester_1873_sporter.htm

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 09:48:27 AM »
There is the wildest outside chance that a RN bullet MIGHT set off another round in the magazine so why risk it? You could buy a couple of different types of factory ammo and see what feeds best in your rifle, then stick with it. If you ever learn to reload then set your dies to replicate the length of ammo you know works. IMO,the answer to most of your questions can be solved by learning to reload. .38/.357 is a really easy round to reload.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 11:39:32 AM »
I have found that "semi-wadcutters" don't work well in my '66. The little ridge catches on the chamber edge when being cycled. I have an RCBS Cowboy mould which works excellently. I have the .38-140-CM, but there is a heavier mould available.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 12:38:44 PM »
The Round Nose Flat Point is THE Cowboy bullet. I see a lot of shooting, including at work, I've never seen a fail to feed with a RNFP that was caused by that bullet shape.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com