Author Topic: Spurs  (Read 7654 times)

Offline Texlee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spurs
« on: January 12, 2015, 11:11:11 PM »
So now that Lindholm Bros spurs it out of business is there any other sources of period spurs besides eBay? I've tried google but that hasn't really been of any help.
Thanks

Tex

Online St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Spurs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 10:59:15 PM »
Apparently, Lindholm Bros. sold their stock through their Facebook account.

If you want their spurs, ebay is going to be your best bet.

The big SASS Convention and the NCOWS Convention 'may' have a vendor or two with some for sale, but for those particular spurs, you're on your own.

One good thing though - not everyone knows that they're out of business, so they haven't turned into 'collectibles' yet.

Good Luck!

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 08:48:56 AM »
There used to be a blacksmith named Joe De la Ronde that made awesome reproductions but they are expensive.  Wadd Ellis who posts on here had a pair made by a fellow named Andy in Germany. 
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:11:29 PM »

Offline Texlee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 04:07:36 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys, I'm not specifically looking for their spurs just a modern spur made in the style they were back then. I'll start my search on eBay and maybe send Andy an email, I wasn't aware he made spurs.

Tex

Online St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 06:10:02 PM »
In your search, type in 'Buermann' and 'North & Judd' and you might find something interesting.

Both made spurs during the era and continued their styles later on.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 01:25:45 PM »
Check out Jeremiah Watts Old Time Spur Line for old style Californio Buckaroo style
http://www.ranch2arena.com/oldtimespurspg1.html

also keep an eye out on Ebay, etc. for Mexican made spurs, mostly the heavy Chihuahua styles
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Texlee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
Thanks guys I'll try that as well. It turns out my uncle has a single spur in his display/coffee table that is the exact style I'm looking for but I wasn't able to get a good picture of it before I had to leave. I'll see if I can't get him to send me a picture in order to identify it.

Tex

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 10:32:46 AM »
Howdy!

I'm partial to some of the Garcia designs from the turn of the prior century. Depending on the depth of your pocket book, you might want to look at:

http://lesvogtscalclassics.com/SpurGallery.html

and

http://www.capriolas.com/

I have spurs from both these companies and they are very good quality, look fine and sound wonderful!
Leave some money in you spur budget for good quality straps; these can literally 'make or break' your appearance (and feet!), if chosen poorly.  

I 've owned Lindholm spurs; didn't care for the sound they made and the size of the heel bands (too short for my taste) and sold them off.  Had Frank Schultz (now retired I think) make a Buermann copy for me; took about 8 months, but what a set!; complete with matching silver buckles and conchos!

One other thing, I assume you're going to mostly walk in these. If so, unless you have pretty high cowboy boot heels (or don't mind dragging the rowels in the dirt and gravel), look for spurs with  minimally downturned shanks and buttons on swingers (which help keep the spur shank and rowel elevated). Big rowels, while fun to look at, need more clearance than small ones, also.
One last thing,  if you don't have alot of experience with spurs, look for very blunt-tip rowels; you'll be banging into your boots with them for awhile till you 'learn' how to walk in them...

Have fun!

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 05:51:07 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com