Author Topic: Long range with an 1860 45LC  (Read 19952 times)

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Long range with an 1860 45LC
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »
Professor,

I completely agree.  Someone being stupid is one thing, being stupid with 50BMG FMJ is just insanity.  Definitely need some security cameras if they seriously can't keep track of the guy doing that.  How one can sneak into a range with a gun that shoots 50 BMG, and then SHOOT! the 50 BMG and get away with it... something hinky there.

far as I'm concerned, look into local laws, sometimes 50BMG actually has some stringent laws attached, most for safety just on the fact of the lethal range of that round, some stupid or frivolous... but hey!  If they're enacted, take advantage of them, nail that guy to a cross, kick him from the range... all after supplying a new LR target ;)  How about a full-scale buffalo ;)  If he can afford the ammo for a 50 BMG, he can afford a buffalo lol

we have a 1200+ LR out here.  Not going to lie, I'm looking forward to the challenge.  They all shoot their modern stuff with optics that cost more than a Shiloh.  I'm looking forward to my 45-90 custom Gemmer ;)
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 12:57:18 PM »
There is no limit to how some slobs will go to just to ruin something for others.
A few years ago myself and a couple others spent a day putting up light poles with chicken wire for target placement on out 100 yard range. In less than a week some jerks shot the poles off near the ground. There were 4 poles so it took some effort. >:(
We never replaced them and people complain about not have anything to put targets on, yet no one ever came forward to say who did it.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 02:19:33 AM »
There is no limit to how some slobs will go to just to ruin something for others.
A few years ago myself and a couple others spent a day putting up light poles with chicken wire for target placement on out 100 yard range. In less than a week some jerks shot the poles off near the ground. There were 4 poles so it took some effort. >:(
We never replaced them and people complain about not have anything to put targets on, yet no one ever came forward to say who did it.

Will Ketchum

Years ago, the Last club I belonged to, we put a pair of ~ 2" ID pipe into the ground at each target point. Club put out removable frames built from 2x2's ... after they got shot up Members provided their own 2x2 frames. verticle sticks 2 horizontal sticks, and wingnuts to hold it all together. They take down easily and fit in any trunk.

Now, if I am not at a CAS range, I shoot in an arroyo on "public land' and bring my own steel KDs I got on sale from WallyWorld :

and this for .22 if I can ever get a resupply

I guess one would call them "Knock-ups"?

I plan on acquiring an old plow disk for a gong for Long Range. "Long Range" will be as far as I feel like walking that day and will undoubtedly be less than 500 yds. I better paint it flourescent orange since I can hardly see a bull at 200 yds these days, bifoculs and all.

With Lead .45 Colt , .44 RB , and lead .54 Sharps Xmas tree bullets these newfangled steel things out to last longer than me....

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:23:52 PM »

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 07:57:18 AM »
Those targets are a great idea Professor.  I too enjoy 'public land' use more often than not
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 08:39:32 AM »
As an aside, our club no longer has a viable LR target (gong).  Some clowns had at it with 50 BMG FMJ rounds.  Turned it to Swiss cheese and we haven't replaced it yet.  If we can find out who the clowns with the 50 were, they get to pay for the new target :-[

Coffinmaker

Might not have been a 50 BMG. A 30-06 will punch 1/2"+ diameter holes through steel.

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 09:01:56 AM »
Looking to try my hand at a buffalo shoot using my 1860 Uberti. Looking for a good starting load for this adventure.  Looking at ranges of 250 yards.  Both smokeless and BP.

S.Floyd

A good 250 gr bullet, I like either the Remington bulk bullet or the RCBS 250Kt, backed by either the bludot load found on Alliants web data, or 35 grs of Olde Eysnford 3f works fine to 250 yds out of my 16 in barreled Winchester trapper.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 02:07:07 PM »
Seems we better invite John Boy down from the BP section to this discussion:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,54058.msg655132/boardseen.html#new

He's shooting 500 yard steel with an 1860, .45 Colt.

Might not have been a 50 BMG. A 30-06 will punch 1/2"+ diameter holes through steel.

w44wcf
Reminds me, was shooting with some friends,I was the only one there really into Milsurp rifles. He had some pieces of scrap steel hanging up about 50 yards out, he said "sure, you can shoot those with ANYTHING, it won't hurt them.
.303, 30-06,7.7 Arisaka, 7.5 French, all just made a dent, but then I came out with a Mosin and some 7.62x54 Light Ball, steel core. Finger size holes in 1/2 mild steel plate was the result.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 04:45:11 PM »
Reaching to 500 yds isn't that big of a problem if a person has a sight with the verticle adjustment necessary to get there. The wind can be a bugger on those bullets at that distance, but then again there are sights that can adjust for that.
 John Boy's adventures with that rifle on the sillouette range that day are for real.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com