Author Topic: Removing the Forend on Uberti 76  (Read 3515 times)

Offline walkabout

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Removing the Forend on Uberti 76
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »
I wonder if you could help?
I need to remove the forend of a Uberti 1876 Centenary rifle.
I thought if I just removed the protective cap screw and cap it would come out, but it doesn’t as there is a "forend protection bearing" dovetailed into the barrel, which stops the forend from sliding forward to release it.
Although it looks like the forend wraps around the magazine tube.
So it looks like I have to remove the magazine tube as well.
Do you have any idea how I do that.
I thought if I drive out the magazine tube bearing pin, I might be able to extract the tube?
Would I need to remove the magazine plug tube first and take the pressure of the spring, I take it the plug just screws off?

Thanks

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Removing the Forend on Uberti 76
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 12:46:49 PM »
I wonder if you could help?
I need to remove the forend of a Uberti 1876 Centenary rifle.
I thought if I just removed the protective cap screw and cap it would come out, but it doesn’t as there is a "forend protection bearing" dovetailed into the barrel, which stops the forend from sliding forward to release it.
Although it looks like the forend wraps around the magazine tube.
So it looks like I have to remove the magazine tube as well.
Do you have any idea how I do that.
I thought if I drive out the magazine tube bearing pin, I might be able to extract the tube?
Would I need to remove the magazine plug tube first and take the pressure of the spring, I take it the plug just screws off?

Thanks  Hello Walkabout. If the Uberti is disassembled like a 1876 Winchester, not sure . In order to remove the forearm on an original 1876 Winchester ,you must first remove the magazine end cap or plug ( this should be under spring pressure) , Then the spring and follower can be removed . Then the small pin that is located in the magazine tube hanger must be driven out. Then the mag. tube can be removed. Once the mag tube is removed the forearm end cap can be removed ,then the forearm cap tenon can be driven out of its dovetail. Then the forearm wood should just slide off. Good luck And hope this helps you.,,,,,,DT

Offline walkabout

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 12:52:59 PM »
Thanks Dusty Texian,
That's what I thought might be the procedure after having a long look at it.
I will give it a try tomorrow

Mark

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:41:42 AM »

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
No need to drive out the fore end cap tenon.

Remove cap, spring and plug.   

Take out the two screws that hold on the fore end cap.  Carefully drive out the retainer ring pin.  Drive it out from let to right with the gun upside down barrel facing away.  Put the pin back in from right to left.  Look to see if either end is slightly tapered.  Some are some are not.   The less you mess with the retainer ring and tendon the better IMO.   Keep them solid and the mage tube is more likely to stay on the gun in use.

Cap will likely be under some tension.  Careful getting that off the wood and tenon.  Once loose and hanging on the mag tube with the pin pulled...mag tube should pull out much easier.  Mag tube and forearm cap should now be off the gun.  Which in turn releases the forearm. Easy to pull the forearm off now without removing the tenon.  It is tight but it is also easy if you are careful. 
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com