Author Topic: Powder charges  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • New York City? Get a rope!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Powder charges
« on: December 20, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »
Well, it seems that the older I get, the farther back in time I want to go! Went from modern high power sniper rifles to cowboy action shooting about a year ago and now have jumped into the muzzle loading era. I just acquired a nice Hawkens 50 cal and though I have watched a lot of black powder shoots, I really have a lot to learn about shooting muzzleloaders. Lets start with the most obvious question. What are you folks using for powder charges?  It is really hard to find the almighty black out here but I did pick up a couple of bottles of Pyrodex RS at the gun show today. Anyone using this with a 50 cal? If so what seems to work best for you? As I go along, I will most likely have many more questions, but lets start with this. Thanks in advance,  W.L.    8)
I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
Re: Powder charges
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 12:50:14 AM »
If Pyrodex is all you can get, I guess we can't fault you. I would keep looking for authentic black powder as you will be much happier using it in the long run.

There are two power levels you are looking for. First, and the one you will use more often is a target and small game load. Start with 50 gr. by volume, and stick with it until you can obtain reasonable consistency with your rifle. Then move to 60, then 70 and maybe even 80 grains. I bet you will end up with  about 70 grains as a target load.

The other will be a hunting load, but don't be in a hurry to burn all your powder until you can hit paper well at various ranges up to 100 yards.  Once you have a load you are happy with make a powder measure to hang from your shooting bag strap.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 07:53:03 AM »
Will,

Assuming your local version of politicians allow it, a good source of reasonably priced black powder is Powder Inc, (www.powderinc.com).  The little brown truck will bring it right to your door. They're very nice folks to deal with and you never have to leave the computer desk!  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:32:12 PM »

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 09:00:16 AM »
Thanks Sir Charles,  I don't do much hunting any more so most of my shooting will be at gun club rendezvous and SASS side matches. So I will defer to your good judgment and start with 50 gns and work my way up. As for the almighty black, I did find some on line last night but with taxes, haz mat fees and shipping to Ca, it is going to cost me almost $50.00 a can.   :o.  OUCH!!! Thanks W. L. 

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 11:22:13 AM »
When you get to a muzzle loading match just ask around and if three's black powder around some one there will steer you to it. Buying black powder by mail is a good way if you buy by the case, by the pound isn't much good.
A tip on loading your rifle, don't crush the powder or bounce the ram rod on the seated ball, a deformed ball doesn't help you hit center.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 12:49:02 PM »
If you get together with a group, you can probably do some group purchases of powder. If you divide the hazmat fee over a case, it just adds a dollar or two to a can.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 07:33:21 AM »
As Pony Express says, a group order is the best way to go.  However, you can order a 5 pound shipment (5 cans) from Powder Inc for $24.40 per pound, which includes hazmat and shipping fees.  A 25 pound case would be $15.40 per pound.

http://powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 03:12:16 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, I will definitely check with the shooters at our next black powder shoot. I also appreciate the tip on not bouncing the rod off the shot ball. I'll let you know how it goes. W. L.

Offline brazosdave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 07:23:03 AM »
I just got 5 lbs of Swiss a couple weeks ago (buds and I went in on a Powder Inc bulk purchase), if you have some amigo's the bulk buy is the way to go to get the price breaks.  Usually, I make my own in my little home powder shop, but the bulk buy on Swiss was too good to pass up.
"I'm your huckleberry, it's just my game"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com