Author Topic: The question of filler  (Read 2618 times)

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
The question of filler
« on: December 20, 2014, 07:28:14 PM »
OK, so Larry likes Kapot, others have mentioned puff-lon, I'm sure there are others. Where do you guys get this stuff? I have a JoAnne Fabric here in town, can I get it there? Or is a wad of toilet paper good nuff? I've been reloading for 35 plus years but never had the  need for fillers.

King Medallion

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The question of filler
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »
Depends on what powder your using Mike Daley of Hogdon's strongly preaches against fillers of any sort.  I have used Dacron in the past as well as toilet paper but stopped after talking with Mike.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 10:13:25 PM »
This is indeed a touchy subject, the use of fillers.  I have posted of my load development for the .45-75 using puff-lon on the forum.  Been loading almost 40 years and this is the first I have used a filler.  I am not wild about the idea but after reading on getting reliable ignition, and velocity consistency in the big case using 5744, decided to try a filler.  I didn't and still don't feel comfortable using kapok, Dacron or other materials and if not for puff-lon would most likely not use it and just try to go with the issues I have read of with ignition problems and such.  Did a good bit of reading on the puff-lon product and decided to try it.  This is at least produced specifically for being a filler.  So far so good, but I am still not fully at ease using it.  The 45-75 is the only cartridge I use the puff-lon in.  Lot of typing to say, even though I am using it the jury is still out with me.  On my wish list for working with the loads is trying no fillers and some other powders.  I am no stranger to loading for a bigger case, the .375H&H ain't exactly small and I have never felt the need for a filler with that rifle, course it is not based originally on a black power charge either.  This is a sorry reply as I reckon I am still trying to decide for myself, but I can report that so far I haven't experienced any problems with puff-lon, seems to do as advertised, just wish I knew more about what was going on in that case when you touch it off.  Best of luck with it and keep us posted on how things go.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:59:43 AM »

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 01:31:48 PM »
Howdy King,

I've been using the poly pillow filler from Joe Anne's in my loads.  No problems so far.  I expect the poly just burns up with the powder.  I find the filler improves the shot to shot velocities a lot in the smokeless loads.  With out the filler I has velocity spreads of over a hundred fps, the filler brings it down to less than 30 fps and with some loads down to single digits.  I can't say for sure it wont cause problems, but I have had no problems.

Silver Rings 
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com