Author Topic: Info request on 1860 # 26172  (Read 3595 times)

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Info request on 1860 # 26172
« on: December 18, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »
Hello, Two Flints:
Please attach the cell phone emailed photo's.  Tx.

Also, please share what your records indicate regarding the SN.  Tx.

I examined this carbine today.  It was a gift to an acquaintance from someone up North. 
I did not remove the forend to look for markings on the bottom, rear of the barrel.

The bore has three lands and grooves.  It is 95% clean and sharp with minor pitting in the muzzle area.  The sight staff is graduated to 800 yds.  The hammer nose thickness tapers to match the outside flat of the receiver.  The carbine appears 100% functional.   The top flat of the receiver has the correct "1860" inscription. 

"C" is stamped on the left side of the hammer flat and between the serrations on the magazine tube base. Others tell me that "c" is a sub-inspector's mark  The letter "M" is stamped on the right side of the lever, on the lower right side of the lower block and on the rear of the saddle ring tang.  The letter "V" is stamped on the rear of the lock plate.  There is a faint cartouche behind the saddle ring plate.  There are no marks on the buttplate.

It has the Stabler cutoff and AFTER MARKET CENTERFIRE upper block.  The owner has the original upper block.  The magazine tube has a dimpled follower. 

In addition to your help and comments, I am respectfully asking for comments from our Members, including Herbert and Arizona Trooper. The owner knows of two others up North.  I told him we would share with him what we know.  I gave him a copy of Marcot's book.  He will only safekeep the carbine, not shoot it.  He is an especially skilled and internationally respected modern firearms expert.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Regards,
El Supremo/Kevin
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Info request on 1860 # 26172
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:12:05 PM »
El Supremo,

Closest serial # I found to your 26172 is #26156, a Spencer Carbine issued to Company B, 4th Kentucky Mounted Infantry on March 13, 1865.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:29:26 PM »
Thanks, Two Flints:

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:14:18 AM »

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:28:47 PM »
Up graded at Sprigfield after the civil war by re-lining original barrel with a 3 groove 56-50 barrel liner,top of frame rounded off to 1865 model shape,spring assist to extractor,lower block cut for Stabler cut-off and cut-off fitted(Spingfield solid type) ,magazine cap grooved or replaced with 1856M cap.The letter stamps are sub inspector approval stamps(some say the C is a condemned stamp,I do not think so as it shows up quite a lot on government accepted Spencers,the ones I have seen have been on Springfield conversions and Spencer Sporting rifles)Very nice Springfield Spencer,if it was mine I would have to shoot it, BP only loads though

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 02:56:14 PM »
Thanks,, Herbert:
I offered him any amount he wished, if he ever chose to part with it, but he said that he wanted to save the carbine for his children.
I estimated to him that it could be valued in the $3,600 -$4,200 range depending upon provenance.
Will pass along your info.
Regards,
Kevin

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 02:18:37 PM »
You have quite a mix of parts there. M1860 lever and rear sight, M-1865 magazine tube, hammer, and lower breechblock. The frame looks like an M-1865, but the serial number is very high. Is the barrel (measured inside the bore) 20" or 22". If it's 20", it's an M-1865.

The ESA Cartouche says that this carbine has been to Springfield for reconditioning. Erskine S. Allin was the master armorer at Springfield. He only inspected arms that were worked on at the National Armory.

Is there anything stamped on the top of the barrel just in front of the receiver? It may be very weak since this gun has been refinished. 

It's a very nice Spencer!

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 05:02:29 PM »
Thanks, Tony:
The owner is out-of-pocket until after the New Year. 
I'll contact him and get you the answers on bbl length and any marking on top, rear of bbl.
Nice to hear from you. 
Regards,
El Supremo/Kevin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com