Author Topic: "Yellowstone" Henry..the 18" carbine  (Read 7905 times)

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
"Yellowstone" Henry..the 18" carbine
« on: December 14, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Never been a big fan of the heavier version of the Henry.  Even though it was a pretty amazing weapon for the day.

Always wanted the lighter carbine version however.   Recently was lucky enough to acquire one.

First thing that had to go was the gawd awful red paint.  That took 2 hrs the first time.  Less than an hr, for the second (did the same for a buddy with another new carbine)  His wood is actually better than mine.  But you would never have guessed prior to the paint removal.    Now the stock has a hand rubbed oil and vey basic natural wood finish.  Wood is pretty good, with nice grain, which was a pleasant surprise.  The last picture tells that story!

Next up was decent trigger job done on hammer and sear, wire lever springs and hardened screws, lwt carrier installed with a threaded set screw and bolt cut to match so the gun will now function with the short C45S brass and a 200 gr bullet.  In my 18" "Yellowstone" carbine it holds 12 in the mag tube. Although a 160gr bullet works as well just not as smooth overcoming the feed ramp on the lifter.  But the carbine will hold 13 rounds of the 160gr load in the mag.  Looking to duplicate the original 200gr Henry BP load and a similar ammo capacity for full effect.  So I am good!

About as close as you can get to the "real" Henry experience I suspect.

For anyone that has been inside a '73, the Henry is much easier to work on.

Both stocks now refinished:

First 37 rounds of ammo out of the gun.

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: "Yellowstone" Henry..the 18" carbine
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 12:59:30 PM »
Really nice rifle.  If your not going to short stroke it, you'll also want to add positive slam down to the carrier arm. 
It's not paint.  It's a special filler with stain, then varnish over the top.  The "red" color from Uberti is actually very close to the stain color used by both Henry and Winchester way back when.

Coffinmaker

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 03:38:34 PM »
Paint? Didn't know that, thanks.

Gotcha on the "positive slam down".  Haven't had the need on either of my guns so far.   Using the C45Special brass which seals up the chambers much, much better with little blow back.  Guns stay much cleaner.r arise now.

Shot my original Uberti 1000s of rounds with lwt wire lever springs, heavy factory lifter and light 45 Colt  loads that would gum up the gun with blow back. But it always ran.  New shorty .45 ammo/brass combo would have gone even more rounds.

I would have thought the LWT lifter would have helped on the cycle stroke.   

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:10:50 AM »

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:04:28 AM »
Coffinmaker, no disrespect intended here.  Butt I gotta totally disagree with you after doing the stocks on a half dozen Ubertis since Sunday.  The UBERTI  red paint  is red paint and a filler that is no question used to hide flaws and make it look like the metal to wood fit is perfect.  Far from it.  The red paint covers a multiple of sins for Uberti.

It is nothing like any thing Winchester ever used.

Did a Cimerron '76 short rifle late in the day.  The paint was used to hid a crack on the butt stock in some nicely figured walnut and the huge gaps on metal to wood fit.

This one I'll eventually need to restock.  It would take a bunch of filler to mask Uberti's labor and cost savings efforts.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 01:01:27 AM »
...The "red" color from Uberti is actually very close to the stain color used by both Henry and Winchester way back when...

It is, as stock finishers then steeped alkanet root in the raw linseed oil, usually in a clay crock. That gave the reddish hue. Uberti uses a stain.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 09:36:57 AM »
And it DOES do a pretty good job of matching the color on many of the original Winchesters. One of the CLEANER original Winchester 73's of mine is almost a perfect match to the Uberti color. Some others have darkened over time from oiling I presume.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 05:52:56 PM »
...Some others have darkened over time from oiling I presume.

Sometimes they used a shellac and it darkens to almost black with time.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 10:49:54 PM »

Sometimes they used a shellac and it darkens to almost black with time.

Ah, makes sense why some are reddish and others are almost black.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 08:18:41 PM »
Me thinks  more fact checking should be done before one warms up ones keyboard.  Before poking yer finger in someone's eye, it helps to be correct, not just half-cocked ::)

Coffinmaker

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 08:39:33 PM »
Here's a finger for ya.  Winchester never used a finish as a filler to pass off piss poor wood fit by using red paint.  Making it red doesn't make it a "Winchester finish" or a colored linseed oil.    Just makes it red.

That said about both the newest production Henry's I worked on recently and the truly dismal early production '76.

Best finish I have yet seen from Uberti was the recent replacement '76 butt stock I got from VTI.    It was red.  Fit on my '76 is damn near perfect.  But the finish is still red paint by comparison to anything Winchester ever did originally.

Facts?  LMAO

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 12:59:57 AM »
Good morning.... just dropping in a gentle reminder in Congeniality...

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 04:58:09 AM »
I've got no dog in this fight, but Coffinmaker only said that the color was the same or similar. It seems like we're arguing two different things...

I hate to see discussions degenerate like this.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com