Author Topic: Smoothing the barrel crown to adjust bullet impact  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Logan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Smoothing the barrel crown to adjust bullet impact
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:28:03 PM »
My two fairly new Remington 1875's group 2 1/2" -3" off center at 25 yds.  While visiting Taylor's and Co I asked their gunsmith what he could do to adjust the impact to center target.  He said he could turn the barrels but before doing that he recommended smoothing/retouching the barrel crown.  I said fine but did not think that would do much and he spent about a minute touching up the crowns.

I took the pistols to the range and one pistol shot the same.  However, the group on the second Remington had moved from 3" right to about 1/2" right of center.  The center of the group was in the X ring (not that I or the pistol could hold the group there).  I was amazed.  I had no idea retouching the crown could move bullet impact.

I will be going back to Taylor's to see about turning the barrel on the other Remington.

Offline Logan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Smoothing the barrel crown to adjust bullet impact
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:02:52 PM »
I dropped the second Remington off at Taylors and Co.  It happens that the front sightl was off center to the right.  The gunsmith turned the barrel and centered the front sight. This moved the bullet impact at 25yds from 3" left to the X ring. 

I finally have two pistols that shoot center.  The staff at Taylors has been very helpful and are great folks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com