Author Topic: Load for Win 1886  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Logan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Load for Win 1886
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:36:31 AM »
I just picked up a new Win 1886 in 45-70 from Taylors & Co that I plan to use for hunting.  I think the max range would be 200 yards.  Would someone have a load and bullet that works well for this rifle?  I see that most molds and bullets are .458 dia.  I would prefer to fire lighter bullets to keep the velocity up. 

Lyman has a mold for 330 gr FN hollow points.  Anyone fired hollow points through this rifle? 
Hornady and Speer have 300 gr FN copper jacketed bullets.  Anyone have experience loading and firing them in the 1886?

Thank you

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Re: Load for Win 1886
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 02:42:07 PM »
While I have not shot the Taylor & Co. M1886, I have plenty of experience with original and modified '86's in .45-70. Although I have not taken game with it, the Lyman 330 gr. HP cast bullet had a fairly good reputation on medium-sized game. OTOH, you can't drive a cast bullet faster than about 1600 ft/sec without experiencing leading in the rifling. With jacketed bullets, there are loads safe for using in late-model original or modern reproduction M1886's which can safely drive 300 gr. bullets up and around 1900 ft/sec.  Check the Lyman Reloading Handbook #48 for smokeless loads. Obviously, if you use black powder, you won't get anything anywhere those velocities. Depending on what game you are hunting, you may want to go to heavier bullets for penetration. Certainly that would be the case, if you are going after griz or buffalo. I agree with setting 200 yds as maximum range. Frankly, I wouldn't shoot at game beyond 300 yds with a flat-shooting, high-velocity cartridge either. The average hunter, under hunting conditions, can hold about 6 minutes of angle. That means about 18 inches at 300 yds, which is about the size of the "boiler room" of an elk! Just MHO, of course.  Best of luck with your new rifle. The '86 is a true gem!

Happy Holidays, Pard!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 06:04:51 PM »
I just picked up a new Win 1886 in 45-70 from Taylors & Co that I plan to use for hunting.  I think the max range would be 200 yards.  Would someone have a load and bullet that works well for this rifle?  I see that most molds and bullets are .458 dia.  I would prefer to fire lighter bullets to keep the velocity up.  

Lyman has a mold for 330 gr FN hollow points.  Anyone fired hollow points through this rifle?  
Hornady and Speer have 300 gr FN copper jacketed bullets.  Anyone have experience loading and firing them in the 1886?

Thank you

I use the Gould hollowpoint bullet, Lyman 457122 with reasonable accuracy. It is supposed to be a great deer bullet. They require extra care to cast properly, so most of my shooting is with the 457193, 405 gr bullet. it is easy to cast and shoots well out farther than you plan to shoot. My firearm is a Browning BLR/SRC so I keep the mvs between 1200-1400 fps, but the action will take more. Read a bit, if you can't find a load, you can PM me for my favorite load of 4895. BTW, I use the same charge for both of the bullets mentioned.

P.S; Mvs between 1200 to 1400 fps are what you'd get from BP
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:03:54 PM »

Offline Logan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 08:57:26 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »
1.  Figure out how far into the case the bullet will go.
2.  Align end of dowel with mark, mark dowel where mouth of case intersects.
3.  Draw another line 1/8 inch towards short end of dowel
4.  Use 24 inch drop tube and your favorite Black Powder 2f or 1.5f to fill case 1/8 above  mark on case, check with dowel
5.  Compress with dowel to original mark (some use a .30 or .60 wad on top of powder.
6.  Seat bullet and crimp moderately to heavily.
7.  Shoot. 

The above steps assume that a suitable Black powder lube is used.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com