Author Topic: 1914 navy whites  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
1914 navy whites
« on: December 10, 2014, 08:32:12 AM »
Does anyone know where a person can get a reproduction 1914 navy white uniform.  I've searched all over the Web and can't find anything. Thanks in advance.

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: 1914 navy whites
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 08:40:18 AM »
Officer, Chief, or Sailor?

What Price Glory has just started making crackerjacks in blue and white.

I don't know of anyone making a Chief's uniform but I know a guy who recently had one made.  I can check with him on his sources.

There might, note the conditional, be a maker of Service Dress White and Blue officers' "choker" uniforms.  I'll dig up what I have if that's what you need.

This is all I've got!  :)  If anybody else has anything please chime in!!!

SQQ

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:49:56 AM »
Just a plain sailor. I'm gonna see how feasible it will be to try and put together an outfit for the expansion era match.

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:37:07 AM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 11:43:54 AM »
Quick Fire,

Sorry, I have no suggestions to offer for sources.
What kind of duty (work) are you wanting this uniform for?
There were several options available and this would have been decided by the posted "Plan-of-the-Day", or by the Duty Officer in charge of the work detail.
Just a thought on my part.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 12:33:11 PM »
http://soviet-power.com/detail.php?pid=45002

These were mentioned awhile back as perfect for 1905-ish.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 12:57:32 PM »
River City, the US jacket didn't have the blue on the cuffs or collar at least not in the pictures I saw of the landing party at Vera Cruz in 1914.

Quick Fire
NCOWS 1717

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 01:53:01 PM »
Quick Fire,

These different types of uniforms are part of the options I was suggesting.
The sailors seldom had the choice themselves during this time period.

RCJ's images would fall into the "Dress White" category.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 05:42:30 PM »
Quickfire: AFIK, no one makes the uniform pictured in the Vera Cruz pictures. The ones made by What Price Glory are too short in the body, but the pants should work. Also, the 1913 regulations came out with the smaller rounded collar on the undress shirt, but some pictures from the Vera Cruz operation showed both the round and square collars. The one I wore at the last Grand Muster I made myself, but good luck finding a pattern, I just looked at a WWII era one, and worked from that. Was far from perfect, but sometimes the sailors made their own uniforms from materials carried on board ship, so that's my story!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/904/6ZpMLb.png

The shirt I made myself, the pants aren't correct, they're the same white pants I used for my first Foreign Legion uniform. Hats are available on E-bay, but good luck on the sizes....they don't seem to correspond to any modern hat sizes. Leggins are the ones from Coon Creek, cartridge belt is original WW1, but snaps aren't right for 1914. Original canteen, cover is from Schipperfabrik.

Here's a thread I used to get started researching:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,33704.0.html

1913 uniform regulations:
http://www.quarterdeck.org/uniforms/1913/Uniform%20Regulations%201913.pdf

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »
Thanks Pony, I have some studying to do. By the way what is the web site for What price Glory. I tried to google them and came up with sites that didn't work

Quick Fire
NCOWS 1717

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
The Russian ones do NOT have blue collar or cuffs.  WHat they have is blue button on overlays for the collar and cuffs.  Working whites without, dress whites with.  A great deal.  You can see me wearing this uniform in our pictures of the last muster.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=52728.0;attach=50827;image
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »
Thank you Drydock, guess I'll have to order one!

Quick Fire
NCOWS 1717

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
http://onlinemilitaria.com/

Don't know why, but they don't actually have "what price glory" in their web address, but I can still find it with a search, among all the movie references.

I looked into some of the Russian and other surplus, but....most didn't have sizes large enough for me. Not saying NONE of them did, but a couple that I called didn't think they had any big enough for me. So I just made mine. Was already used to making(trying to make) uniforms, since nobody in the world seems to make 19th century French white fatigues.

Edit: To find the navy uniforms on WPG, look under "new arrivals" US. As I noted before, the white middy is too short, but the blue uniforms are longer, just need the drawstring in the bottom of the shirt to make it correct for the 1913 regulations.

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 09:30:24 PM »
Here are a lot of Vera Cruz Occupation photos:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vera+cruz+1914+photos&rlz=2C2OPRB_enUS0537US0537&biw=960&bih=528&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZAuJVOWEE8P4gwTzp4LwBQ&ved=0CB0QsAQ

You'll see a huge variety of Naval uniforms.  At that time it was permitted to dye whites with tea or coffee and turn them into "khakis" for Shore Party sailors.  Later each ships would be issued two bottles of brown dye for the same purpose.

I do an impression of a Naval Officer mounted (first time this year at the 2014 National Cavalry Competition).  The hat is a 1902 Marine campaign hat, the shirt is an M1912 shirt, and the breeches M1908 cavalry breeches.  I also wear brown paddock boots and M1912 Army leather puttees.  I'm following a photo of two officers off USS MICHIGAN.  I just found a photo of a Navy LT (part of CAPT Niblack's staff) that looks like he's wearing leather puttees vice canval leggings.

You have lots to choose from, here!

SQQ

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 06:53:33 AM »

Here's great picture of Sailors ready for shore combat with some possible Marine uniform items and some coffee dyed Navy items Quick Fire. 

Originally posted by GrizzleyAdams-

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 07:14:06 PM »
http://www.quartermastershop.com/. If you send them regs and directions - they will make it. They have been great to me for my USRCS stuff.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Quick Fire
NCOWS 1717

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com