Author Topic: Need patern for a common gun.  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need patern for a common gun.
« on: November 22, 2014, 07:30:10 PM »
I accepted a job under duress today, long story.  I now need to make a nice field holster with belt and I have no gun or pattern to start with.  Things are a mad house here as we are preparing for a move and I really need to make this project quick and simple.  SO, does anyone have a link to a well designed pattern for an old model Ruger Super black Hawk revolver(7 1/2" 44mag).  A link to such a commercially available pattern would even be greatly appreciated.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
Re: Need patern for a common gun.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 09:24:02 PM »
I have a 7 1/2" 44 Mag Ruger Super BlackHawk old 3 screw in the safe. I have looked online with zero luck on patterns for the gun.
I can draw a very close actual outline on poster board and mail it to you.  What say you?
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 10:05:18 PM »
Slowhand, if the one pictured below  will work PM me

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:23:30 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 01:00:09 AM »
I have one for Mexican loop at the shop but won't be there till tomorrow. PM your address if that will work and I'll sent it out
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 10:24:06 AM »
Guys, I am sorry to take so long to get back here thanking you for your offers.  The guy who wants a holster is the one considering the purchase of our house SOOO!  Trying to find a house and sell another at the same time is double trouble in the personal time dept.  The good is that I did find a friend with an early model Ruger Super Blackhawk who says I can come over and wet form a holster with.  The bad news is that a search of the shop indicates that I no longer have the piece of leather that I would normally use for this,  I do have a large enough piece of 7/8oz that would be large enough to do the job as a lined holster.  Even then I will have to order a leather strap for the belt so, if need be, I could order a small piece of leather for the holster.

After thinking on how much stuff I have already sold, it is amazing how much is still out in the shop!  I promised the wife and doctor I would never work with leather again, I am already fudging  on that and even trying to figure a way to smuggle my favorite sewing machine to the new house BUT that is a story fer another day!  THANKS AGAIN GUYS;  Robby

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:03:21 AM »
Pattern is on it way  :)

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »
FWIW - any pattern for a 7 1/2" barreled Colt will fit a Super Black Hawk or Blackhawk with minor adjustment - I split the holster down the center line of the pouch front and back (i.e. along the top of the barrel) and 1 1/4-3/8" dependent on leather weight and sights.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »
Thanks for that heads up Chuck.  I have not contacted Red Cent yet but do plan on trying to get the gun pattern to help with the initial layout but will not be able to roll, as done with a with a real gun!  The wife now tells me that it has got to proceed as a secret gift for him, from his wife as a Christmas gift.  My understanding is that we might be meeting with them tomorrow afternoon concerning the house? 

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 07:53:23 PM »
I want to personally and publicly thank Major 2, Camano Ridge and Red Cent for their kindness in helping me with this project.  I hope to talk with the gentleman again this week to get an idea as to his vision of a field holster, with belt.  For a revolver this size I would typically go with a 2" tapered belt for hip wear but many do prefer a heavy jeans belt.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 05:20:12 PM »
You are welcome, Robby.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 06:03:46 AM »
How did the fellow like the Mex Loop pattern ?

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 08:40:56 AM »
Major 2, everything pretty much turned into a nightmare well before Christmas and I still have no holster BUT I cancelled well before Christmas.  I have a hmmm consolidated pattern that I started from, thanks to you guys.  It includes size and design elements from several of the patterns I received.  Aside from 1,001 other problems related to moving and health issues I let the sizing get away from me.  I went a bit heavy on leather weight, 6>7oz over 4.5oz and even after an overall increase (about 1/2") in pattern width, I have a holster in progress that will most likely be a good fit for a 7 1/2" barled SAA (sewn toe) or an 8" Remington (open toe) but to small for the big RSBH.   Another friend has spoken for this one and I might or might not try another that would need to be widened even further! 

My dilemma now is that the two guys mentioned here will be meeting next week to discuss my current house that is for sale.  I have to be sure that the dang holster issue does not come up between them, if I do not have another one ready.  By the way, the guy who I would give this holster to iis turning into a pretty good holster maker himself and I would leave the final spit and polish work for him to do. 

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 02:58:01 PM »
Slowhand, if the one pictured below  will work PM me
Hey, that looks familiar! 
SASS #81,827