Author Topic: Recommendations on a rifle  (Read 10452 times)

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Recommendations on a rifle
« on: November 22, 2014, 03:50:01 PM »
If this is in the wrong forum, please accept my apologies. Now, to the question! My wife read a report on wild pigs in Iowa and suggested I go after some fresh pork, especially since there have been sightings where I like to fish in NE Iowa. She has given me permission to buy a new gun and I'm wondering what I should be looking for. I have a Ruger New Vaquero in .357 magnum and I wonder if a rifle in the same caliber would be enough gun Do any of you have experience with this game? Any recommendations as to brand or model? Or should I look for something like a .50-90 Sharps complete with small pony to mount it on?javascript:void(0);
Thanks in advance for your input
All growed up and still playin' Cowboy!

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Recommendations on a rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 05:47:39 PM »
A fifty Sharps would work well. Being an old fat man I didn't have any problem carrying this Shiloh Sharps around for this hunt.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 10:29:13 AM »

kent, you're not fat - just "circumferentially challenged"! Like you, I have seen my manly chest slip over the years. By the way. Love the alias. When I joined the forum, I toyed with the idea of using "Jackson Simpson Phogbound" on the grounds that every group needs at least one Jack S.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:13:08 AM »

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 01:18:12 PM »
The Lyman 1878 45-70 Sharps is a liter version of the Sharps that is not as hard to carry and a very accurate rifle,or the Sprinfield trapdore carbine if you wan a liter rifle,pigs can be tough little buggers and you really need something like in power range of the 45-70 for sure kills,another one to think on is 455 Causual in the 92 Rosie

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
It kinda sounds like you're considering a .357 rifle. At close range they are fine for game up to about 100-125 lbs. At longer ranges or bigger game you likely need a bit more gun. The Sharps or a Rolling Block are both fine single shot rifles and .45-70 will kill anything in North America. For a repeater, you might consider a Marlin Cowboy. I have one in .38-55 and with handloads there ain't a pig in Texas I couldn't take out to 200 yards easy. For over 25 years I've used the Old West Area guns for hunting. I can't tell you how many deer I've killed. I have seen the .357 fail on a really big pig.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 04:43:42 PM »
Thank everybody for your advice. The little porkers are just showing up, mainly in Southern Iowa. I grew up in SW Iowa so I've still got some contacts there. They seem to be following the rivers, mainly the Mississippi and Missouri, but they are showing up in NE Iowa also. According to the DNR, they run around 130-150 lbs with the occasional big boy around 180. The problem with .45-70 and up is that if I'm in a tree stand, I'm liable to find myself sitting on the ground after the first shot! Hmmm. Might have to think about this! Do I really want to go after game that requires a gun so big that I don't want to shoot it? I'd rather use something that I'll spend more time practicing with (and have a prayer of hitting something!) than a cannon that will blow impressive holes in the landscape. Nothing against you guys that like the big bores, I'm just not that great a shot (or that big!). Even the broad side of the barn is a difficult target ... and that's when I'm IN the barn!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 06:04:13 PM »
The 45/70 doesn't really kick that much in a rifle like a Sharps. Now a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 can have some recoil, depending on the loads.

While I've never hunted pigs, I would think that a Marlin 1894 or a '92 Winchester(or clone) In something over 40 caliber would do it. Do you reload, or will you be using handloads? If you'll be using factory loads, maybe one in .44Mag.

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 10:30:31 PM »
I have problems killing cleanly sometimes with the 44 magnum. A Winchester 30-30 carbine is one of the most popular pig rifles over here for close scrub shooting,lite to carry low recoil and plenty of punch

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 07:38:14 AM »
Sounds like this will be your only rifle, if so consider something more traditional as an "all round" rifle.  Look at anything in the .243 to .308 range.  A bolt gun or if you like a lever gun maybe a .30/30.  There are lots of good bolt guns on the market that won't break the bank and will serve multi hunting requirements. Around here folks with dedicated pig guns usually have something on an A/R platform ranging from .223 to .308,  these are folks that are really serious about getting rid of lots of pigs.

Blackfoot

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 11:34:43 AM »
To be honest, it is hard to beat an AR...

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 01:53:36 PM »
Doesn't Iowa have restrictions on caliber for rifles and hunting?  I'm pretty sure they require a pistol caliber, although I believe 45-70 is legal.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 04:12:11 PM »
Given the size of that critter beside Kent I'd go with the 45-70.  Or maybe an RPG.  That's one big pig!  At least it looks as such to me.  Mind, we don't have such animals in the bush up here.

Offline Killshot Kenny

• Citizen
  • I have "GAS" Gun Acquisition Syndrome
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »
I will toss my two bits in.
I don't shoot pigs up here in canada but I shoot moose. My choices would be for old school,
Anything that shoots a 45-70 that you can handle. Bullet weights go from 300 to over 500 grains. Loads from black equivalent to Ruger #1 bazookas.
I shoot a Sharps in 40-70 straight with 28.5 of IMR 4198. With a 410 grain bullet it will turn a moose inside out.
I haven't shot it but an intriguing caliber would be a 38-55. Lots of recoil sensitive people are showing up at the shooting matches with them.
With modern stuff I would go anything over .243 win and up. Robust bullets like a Barnes. A new Guide Gun in 308 would be great!

Ran out of pennies. ;D

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 05:59:14 PM »
Given the size of that critter beside Kent I'd go with the 45-70.  Or maybe an RPG.  That's one big pig!  At least it looks as such to me.  Mind, we don't have such animals in the bush up here.

Cause that's a black bear  ;)    

Wow !  permission from the Boss lady to buy a rifle....  :D  

I do believe I'd get a repeater , lean towards a Lever ....  boy  1 choice  :-\   hmmmmm     44/40 or 44 Mag. maybe  yeah 44/40  I think ....

or maybe something complete different .... AR HUH ? hmmm....   :-\    OH well ! all I know for sure is that's Bear  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 09:32:39 PM »
Ask her if you can buy one of each to make sure you get the right one. Worth a shot :-\
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 09:50:46 PM »
Cliff is right buy one of each....
but don't ask permission , better to ask forgiveness  ;)   

but kidding aside ... what's the budget ?  under $500 ?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78093

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=482806818
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com