Author Topic: Request for help  (Read 6031 times)

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Request for help
« on: November 20, 2014, 01:17:22 PM »
Not a big deal... but
     I just put on the Uberti tang and front hooded sight kit (Buffalo Arms D01S10) and garfed the tang sight screw up a little bit.  The screw provided w/ the sight is about 5 threads too short.  Also, need a recommendation as to a sight blank for dovetail which is now empty.  My rifle is a Uberti.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Request for help
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »
If, the new screw in the base of your tang sight include the use of the original rear tang screw, this new screw will need to be a bit longer. This is because of the thickness of the new tang sight base.
Many '73 & 76 Rifles offer small screw holes in the tang forward of the standard tang screw. You should only need the proper screw thread size and pitch for mounting those types of sight bases.

Buffalo Arms also offers a barrel mounted rear sight filler for arms that have been changed from barrel mounted rear sights to tang mounted rear sights.

I like to leave the barrel mounted rear sight in place for those shots that maybe 2 to 300 yards, and use the tang sight for those shots that are more than 300 yards.
Just my opinion, but, it offers me a bit more flexibility in my sighting options.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 06:46:47 PM »
Matt45-

I agree with Blair on this... leave the original sight in place and you won't need a filler blank... the blanks are hard to put in place without scarring the rifles finish.  The original buck horn sight will not interfere with the Tang sight. You just need a longer screws for mounting the Tang sight.  I might add that make sure the Tang sight is indexed properly, otherwise your field of vision thru the tang sighting hole will be distorted.  Another note... I adjust my buckhorn  V slot (Lor R) to align up with my Tang sight... this just helps my get the correct sight picture everytime with the Tang... do what works for you.
Horn
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:32:22 AM »

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
Good advice guys- the tang I put on didn't raise enough to clear the buckhorn.  Needless to say, it shot too low to be useful.  So it is off now, and I'm using the buckhorn again.  So you know, how you folks use your tang/ barrel sights is exactly how i've been using the same system on my Sharps for many years.  Works like a charm. 

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
I too, put Marbles tang on my '76 but as matt45 stated, the buckhorn interferes with the tang sight even at it's highest adjustment. Oh, it is the standard sight, not the Improved version. I thought of removing the barrel sight but then wondered, could changing the front sight help? As I think of this, I get screwed up and cant get it into my head if a taller front sight would work or shorter? I appreciate  the help in advance.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »
I think... Theoretically speaking, a shorter front sight would raise the point of impact.  The problem is that it would also agrravate the tang/ buckhorn interference... I think.  Might be a little confused myself ::)

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 08:22:53 PM »
When I put on a Trijicon front sight, I referred to the Brownell's catalog where they tell very clearly how to measure the front sight for proper height, etc.  Then I adjusted my Marbles tang sight and the regular rear sight for proper clearance.  Now, I do not have any problems other than the tang sight wobbles a bit but that is pretty easy t overcome.  Hope this helps a bit.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 10:58:05 PM »
larryo_1

I had the same problems with Marbles Tang/Peep Sights. They all "wobbled" when indexed.  I tried 3 different sets of Marbles Sights, they all wobbled... I tried "shimming them to no avail".  A lot of folks "like" them... Evidently my Marbles Sights were made on Friday's or Monday.  I gave up on them and went to Kelley Sights.  I will give Marbles an A+ for Customer Service though... they just need to fix their sights so they don't wobble... my opine.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com