Author Topic: Blue dot  (Read 7329 times)

Offline Rabbit

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Blue dot
« on: November 10, 2014, 08:25:24 PM »
Howdy,
I am looking for a load for the .45LC using Blue Dot and the 255 gr RNFP lead bullet. I am hoping to get about 850 fps from my 71/2 inch barrel revolver. The data I have seen seems to start at about 900 fps, lighter is better for me!
Thanks,
Rabbit

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Blue dot
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 10:02:47 PM »
As a rule going lighter than the powder maker recommends is not a good idea. Contact them online and see what they advise.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:22:29 AM »
Blue dot is a medium slow powder for pistols and is also very temperature sensitive compared to others.   Used to use it in heavy shotgun loads and to me it is a very spooky powder to work with, don't even think about it.   I see no reason to I will ever use it again.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:30:08 AM »

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 07:09:27 AM »
Use the starting recommended load and test it.  You will probably not get "book value" velocity,  results will vary from one gun to another.  By the way, I have not been happy with Blue Dot at the low end of the chart.  Your mileage may vary.

Blackfoot

Offline Rabbit

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 08:30:37 PM »
Blackfoot, you may be right. I do have other powders, I tried a load of Unique and it shot average vel. of 870 fps and at 15 ft, the bullets when through the same hole. I am just trying to develop an assortment of different loads.
I was gifted a keg of Blue Dot and I just picked up a Uberti 7th Cav SAA. I was hoping to use the Blue Dot with my cast Lee 255 gr. RNFP bullet. I did find a data sheet in my Lee die set for the .45 LC, it lists 225-255 grain bullets with a load of 9.5 grains of Blue Dot. It says the velocity will be 734 fps, this sounds good to me. I was hoping for 850 fps, maybe load up some loads at 9.5 and work up a few loads at 1/2 grain increments. Lets see what happens, I believe the Lee data is on the right track for me. If you guys know of any danger associated with Blue Dot and the .45LC in a SAA, please share the information. I got the powder for free, I was hoping to use it.
Thanks,
Rabbit

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 07:58:48 PM »
Works great in 12 Ga
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »
Works great in 12 Ga

Not at -20, learned that 35 years ago.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 01:00:47 PM »
I am not so concerned about how FAST the bullet goes as to WHERE it goes.

I work my loads to find the accurate spot between the minimum load shown in the manuals and the maximum (check several they vary) for a particular bullet style and weight. Somewhere in that range with that bullet I will find the sweet spot that works best for that pistol or rifle.

Mostly I shoot .45 Colt usually with either IMR Trail Boss™ or REAL black powder. The subs are fraught with problems of corrosion and I don’t need self-induced problems when the normal day brings enough.

If I feel a “need for speed” I stoke the  S&W .44 Magnum up with one of the “moose killer” loads and get that out of my system which usually takes one cylinder full.

Respectfully submitted,
Bunk

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 08:18:55 PM »
Many years ago I happened into a hardware store going out of business and they had a bunch of blue dot at like $7. Needless to say I emptied my wallet.

I flung a lot of wheel weight lead out of a 44 magnum with that powder, with good accuracy and no problems.

I think if you stick within published guidelines you will be fine.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 07:34:11 AM »

I flung a lot of wheel weight lead out of a 44 magnum with that powder, with good accuracy and no problems.

I think if you stick within published guidelines you will be fine.

Blue dot works great for this very thing. I've loaded a few 44 mags with it too ;D
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Gassaway

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 10:12:38 PM »
Single shot or repeater. I think less that 200 men facing thousands would be mentally crushing to the troopers no matter what they were armed with

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 04:55:32 AM »
Single shot or repeater. I think less that 200 men facing thousands would be mentally crushing to the troopers no matter what they were armed with
? wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »
Blue Dot is much too slow burning for any use in CAS.  I have a bottle of it around because it is one of the few pistol powders without flash suppressants.  Full goose loads of Blue Dot in the 357 sig are real flame throwers.  They guarantee empty lanes next to you at indoor ranges!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com