Author Topic: Gonna Toot My Own Horn Here.  (Read 3192 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Gonna Toot My Own Horn Here.
« on: October 31, 2014, 07:46:55 PM »
Pleased, astounded really, that I took 1st Place Men's Long Range Smokeless Big Bore Repeater side match at the Berger Sharpshooter's Regional Match in Texas, shooting the trusty Vetterli.

Timed event, had to progress through the targets in order. 100yds out to 400yds. I was inching up onto the 400yd steel when the timer sounded. Last round was only about 6 inches below that target, dead center. One more adjustment of the sights and I would have hit it. Oh well.

Earned me the sobriquet of "River City Quigley". :P

AND, our own "Broken Nose Scotty" took 1st Place Men's Long Range Smokeless Big Bore Single Shot!

RCJ

p.s. You were allowed to use sticks for support, first time ever shot off of sticks.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Gonna Toot My Own Horn Here.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 08:54:25 PM »
That's outstanding.  Congratulations!
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 06:27:12 AM »
Congratulations, John!  (Way to "represent", to use the old "street" phrase!)
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:57:22 AM »

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 07:27:50 AM »
Wow that's some good shooting! If I was there I'd have been rootin' for you-although I'm biased seeing hows you're my recruiter ;D

Using a rifle well in excess of 100 years old made on leather belt driven milling machines going up against guns cut with modern 'puterized CNC machinery-I bet some people there sure were surprised at what you did with that old Swiss gal!

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 07:45:54 AM »
Congrats.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 08:22:24 AM »
Awesome! Congratulations!

You mentioned that it was timed and that the targets were from 100 to 400 yds. What were the rest of the details on how it was ran? Steel, Target size, how long were you given, were all distances off sticks ect.?
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 09:00:46 AM »
Good work, John!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »
RCJ, That is great news!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 02:44:11 PM »
100, 150, 200, 300 and 400yd. targets. 3 minutes. Steel ringers about 30" square, painted yellow and they looked minuscule.

Wind was light and coming from our backs, so that helped a lot I'm sure.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »
The 100, 150, and 200 range targets were 42x12 inches. the 300 and 400 were a mite bigger but not sure exactly what their measurements were. Outstanding job, River City.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »
Thanks Quick Fire. They were narrow, as I remember now. ::) The 300 and 400 were perhaps 4' square?

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com