Author Topic: Winchester 1873 Blued vs Case hardened  (Read 5851 times)

Offline Rick53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester 1873 Blued vs Case hardened
« on: October 30, 2014, 01:18:10 PM »
new here but not New to Shooting. I've found a Model 1873 Winchester -The New ones. The Prices seem fair 1050.00 for the Blued and 1300.00 for the CH.

Personally I don't know that I like the casehardened look of these compared to the Uberti - Has anyone seen the CH in person? The Blued just looked to me like they put all their efforts into it and the case hardened was made as an after thought.

I'd just like some opinions.

By the Way My name is Rick. Anyone here that has an IWI Tavor might know me from the Shooting Sight Trigger :

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Winchester 1873 Blued vs Case hardened
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 02:06:46 PM »
Rick,

Are there any differences in the1873 Winchester's? I mean aside from the metal finish?
Are they both Rifles? One a rifle and the other a carbine? One with octagon the other with round barrel? Barrel length?
Checkering and/or pistol grip stock on one, the other with straight wood?
All of these variation can make a difference in the cost.
You need to supply more information or photots.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Tommy Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 02:23:35 PM »
Hello Rick53.  I have two CCH Miroku's.  

One is the "standard" CCH that I believe you are asking about.  It is a chemical coloring and, in my opinion, is equivalent to the Uberti's.  However, mine does have significantly better (more figured) wood than the blued version.  This seems to be the case for all the CCH guns I have seen.  Blair, the only difference in the blued and CCH versions is the metal finish and wood quality.  Both are round barrel rifles with straight grip stocks.

The other is a Navy Arms Turnbull Miroku '73.  That one is outstanding in all respects - both metal finish and wood.  This version is a straight grip, octagon barreled rifle.

TR
Tommy Reb

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:00:40 PM »

Offline Rick53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 07:50:51 PM »
Hello Rick53.  I have two CCH Miroku's.  

One is the "standard" CCH that I believe you are asking about.  It is a chemical coloring and, in my opinion, is equivalent to the Uberti's.  However, mine does have significantly better (more figured) wood than the blued version.  This seems to be the case for all the CCH guns I have seen.  Blair, the only difference in the blued and CCH versions is the metal finish and wood quality.  Both are round barrel rifles with straight grip stocks.

The other is a Navy Arms Turnbull Miroku '73.  That one is outstanding in all respects - both metal finish and wood.  This version is a straight grip, octagon barreled rifle.

TR
Tommy I had my Dealer check and it seems he can get me the Navy Arms Turnbull Miroku '73 for 1870.00 plus sales tax of 6% : That seems like a fairly good deal. I just wonder from Reading if the upgrades are anything more then cosmetic. I want the Rifle for a work Rifle. So it will be riding in a Scarab - So I'm wondering if Blued would just hold up better. The  Navy Arms Turnbull Miroku '73 is sure pretty thopugh. I noticed they have changed the Buttstock to flat from the Standard Crescent.

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:00:51 PM »
Tommy I had my Dealer check and it seems he can get me the Navy Arms Turnbull Miroku '73 for 1870.00 plus sales tax of 6% : That seems like a fairly good deal. I just wonder from Reading if the upgrades are anything more then cosmetic. I want the Rifle for a work Rifle. So it will be riding in a Scarab - So I'm wondering if Blued would just hold up better. The  Navy Arms Turnbull Miroku '73 is sure pretty thopugh. I noticed they have changed the Buttstock to flat from the Standard Crescent.

Hi Rick,
I have a blued Miroku 73 and a CCH.
I believe the only differences are cosmetic.
Very nice CCH and more attractive stock.  Mine is beautiful with tiger stripes.  :)
If I were to use every day for work, between these two, it would be the less expensive blued.

Offline Tommy Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 10:28:01 AM »
Hello Rick.  I agree with hatman.  If you're after a "working" rifle only, go with the least expensive blued version.  That way you will not feel so bad if it gets a few dings.

One thing about the Navy Arms version that is not just cosmetic is the factory short stroke.  By the way, that is a great price on a Navy Arms!!

If you intend to use your gun, whatever version, for CAS competition you should also plan on an action job.  The guns are quite useable out of the box, but not really race ready.  Also, the factory guns tend to eject brass way out to the front which results in lots of lost brass.  That can be corrected by modifying the shape of the top of the carrier or by new aluminum carriers from Pioneer Gun Works as part of their short stroke kits.

I expect you will be happy with whichever version of the Miroku '73 you choose.  But, I tell you, that Navy Arms version is sure something to look at!!!!

TR
Tommy Reb

Offline Rick53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 04:59:12 PM »
Hello Rick.  I agree with hatman.  If you're after a "working" rifle only, go with the least expensive blued version.  That way you will not feel so bad if it gets a few dings.

One thing about the Navy Arms version that is not just cosmetic is the factory short stroke.  By the way, that is a great price on a Navy Arms!!

If you intend to use your gun, whatever version, for CAS competition you should also plan on an action job.  The guns are quite useable out of the box, but not really race ready.  Also, the factory guns tend to eject brass way out to the front which results in lots of lost brass.  That can be corrected by modifying the shape of the top of the carrier or by new aluminum carriers from Pioneer Gun Works as part of their short stroke kits.

I expect you will be happy with whichever version of the Miroku '73 you choose.  But, I tell you, that Navy Arms version is sure something to look at!!!!

TR
If I knew the Navy Arms was really a slicked up rifle I'd buy one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com