Author Topic: disaster  (Read 7074 times)

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
disaster
« on: October 29, 2014, 03:42:44 PM »
Hi, guys,
     I'm hoping somebody can help me with a horrendous problem.  I'm the proud owner of a Uberti 1876 in 45-60, and when I was at the range today shooting, an explosion in the barrel blew a 1" hole in the bottom of the barrel, and, as a result the magazine tube was destroyed.  I can't imagine what happened, the action and rest of the receiver are fine, but my question is:  How do I go about getting a replacement barrel and magazine tube, and getting them installed?  This is entirely new ground for me.  I've been shooting for 50 odd years, and have never run into this.  Please help if you can.  Thanks!

Dave :(

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: disaster
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 05:25:37 PM »
Read through the posting in the link below.  It is a very similiar issue like yours.  Your answer and guidance could be found in this posting.  The link goes to a posting within this very forum, so it is safe and about an 1876 Uberti.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,42269.0.html
Black River Smith

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 06:58:17 PM »
Boy Howdy,, that's a rip,, no pun intended. I think the mfg. has some esplanin to do, since yours and the one in the other post had,, the same problem ,what are the odd's of this happening twice,,same mfg???

Hootmix.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:55:56 AM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:06:28 PM »
 :( The likelihood iis that you won't get any help from the manufacturer or the importer, since using handloads voids the warrantee in virtually any gun you buy.  I have used toilet tissue fillers over smokeless powder for years...primarily with medium-burning rifle powders such as IMR4198 and IMR3031, with never a problem. HOWEVER, there can be a problem if the bullet is propelled out of the case before the smokeless powder fires off, and the bullet stops in the forcing cone of the rifling, whereupon the pressure comes up to the point where the powder cooks off.  The question I have is how far up the barrel was the rupture? It does sound like there was an obstruction of some kind in the bore.  If you were shooting gas checks or half-jacketes, that could explain it. But that seems unlikely. Could a bullet have fragmented? I don't know.  A one-inch hole? What shape was the hole? What did the edges of the rupture look like? Photos might help determine if this was a flaw or obstruction-induced break. Glad you weren't hurt. Iron can be replaced; flesh not so readily.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »
Trailrider,

Thanks for the reply.  The rupture looks like a barrel obstruction, but I don't know how that could have happened.  The hole is about halfway up the barrel, which explains why the action was unaffected.  It acts like a squib on the previous shot, but all four previous shots hit the target, so I can't imagine what happened.  I've been reloading since 1966 and have had no problems.  Just goes to show what can happen to anybody.  Like you said, at least I'm in one piece, just replaceable metal was damaged.  No matter how bad things are, they could always be worse.                                 
                                                                             Dave

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 10:06:28 AM »
Slamfire,

I thought about that, but there is no way the manufacturer would take any responsibility for this, because it looks like a barrel obstruction caused the problem, and I was shooting reloads, anyway.  The other poster was treated by Uberti the same way, so there's no point in my trying.  At least I didn't get hurt, except my pride. 

Dave

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:32:14 PM »
Doketx-
You can read my posts... I had the same problem a few years back. The short of the story... you will not get any help from Uberti nor from Taylor's and Co.  Been there and done that.  Uberti's bottom line is that if you are shooting "roll your own" bullets that VOIDS the warranty.  They (Uberti) will go to great lengths to tell you how "great" their barrels are.... blah blah ... So do not expect any help from them.  Thing to do is be thankful you were not hurt or anyone else when the incident happened.  Re-order a new barrel and the rifle will work great.  I do not know when your's was made, but I think that some of these rifles had flaws in the barrels when they were made.  That is my opinion.  T. Horn
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 06:35:38 PM »
So #4 didn't sound right?

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 08:33:03 AM »
To Tom Horn aka James Hicks,
     Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I read all your posts concerning your gun barrel problem, and have not expected any help from Uberti, because I bought the rifle new, and in their booklet it specifies that if you're using handloads, the warranty is void.  I'm just going to have to bite the bullet (oh, that's terrible), and order a new barrel and mag tube when I can afford it.  Thanks to your info. I have already checked with VTI, and they have them in stock.  At least I wasn't hurt, just angry and embarrassed.  Thanks again for the kind words.
                                                                                                                      Dave

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1639
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 08:12:08 PM »
   Greetings!

Honestly, I'd send it to Uberti; if they have a bad run of barrels, they may very well take the blame, and at least
look at it, if not fix it for FREE... It won't hurt to try!

M.T.Marfield

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 11:34:19 AM »
If you decide to replace the barrel, you might want to take a look at Douglas or Green mountain.  I had good results with Douglas in the pass.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com