Author Topic: NCOWS in WAshington State?  (Read 6234 times)

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
NCOWS in WAshington State?
« on: October 23, 2014, 01:35:37 PM »

Any other members here n WA state?

Lots of SASS stuff happening every weekend.  I suspect there is enough of us interested in the history part to have a NCOWS posse as well.

Any one?
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NCOWS in WAshington State?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
yahoody,

I would not worry about it.

We had no NCOWS Posies here in Florida for nearly 20 years.
We had the people, just couldn't get them all together. Not until Major 2 stepped in about two years ago.
I had retired by that time, but was still a life member of NCOWS and added my support to his efforts.
I am glad to see my long term membership in NCOWS has finally started to pay off here in FL.
All I can say is GO for it!
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:00:02 PM »
Blair was invaluable, but his time is a bit off ....2 years is when it came to bear fruit ....

I actually began about 2005 or so, slow, sometime painfully slow moving toward the brass ring that would be an NCOWS shooting posse
in Florida.
Persistence, and the friends I made along the way, and here we are.... we'll have to adjust, and find the sweet spot. 
Summer rains, humid & heat have keep attendance low this last summer... just as ice storms and snowed in limit shooting up north.

Yahoody, if any experience I've gained, as past National Judge , Senator or just putting a posse on the map, will help ,my email is posted  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:19:39 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 06:53:57 PM »
I'm not an NCOWS member, but I'd certainly consider it if it looked like a Washington State posse was forming.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:15:14 PM »
Three of us in Issaquah looking to make up the first posse and shooting within the local SASS matches as a start.  But like the social part of the historial side as well.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 07:21:27 PM »
My little secret is that I've never even attended an SASS match. I'm much more interested in the historical aspects of that time period. Keep me updated as to how it's going.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 07:39:59 PM »
From the most recent NCOWS "Shootist Journal".  A quote from OklaTom the Nat Sec. "We are first and foremost a shooting organization."

Only takes three to form a posse.   My wife and I have shot SASS and CAS prior off and on (mostly off) for the last 25 years.  I started shooting SASS again this summer.  Tracy after me this fall.  My buddy has never shot a SASS match but has always been a cowboy at heart.  He trains horses and riders professionally.  Years ago we worked together as firearms trainers.

I am more interested in the history and firearms nuances of the era as much as I am in the shooting.  The gear race and unrealistic scenarios of the current generation of SASS hold little draw but it is a good venue to use the guns.  I appreciate the ability to piggy back off SASS with their well entrenched society already here in WA state.

As much as anything I/we like the ability to form our own Posse and make it what you want it to be and a place for like minded shooters or amateur historians.  It is gonna take more than the 3 of us!

"Form a NCOWS Posse

A posse may be formed with only three members, but must have at least five members by the end of it’s first calendar year and maintain at least five members there after. 50% of all members and 100% of the posse officers must be NCOWS members.  Posses must subscribe to NCOWS Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws and Rules and Regulations, including standards of historical authenticity for all events for which the Posse requests NCOWS official sanction, and maintain NCOWS membership for at least half it’s members and all it's officers.  Posse must conduct at least two NCOWS-sanctioned events a year, which need not be shoots.  Posses must pay an initial Charter Fee of $35.00 (renewable annually also for $35.00).  Posses may, of course, require more rigorous standards for their members and activities and may employ lesser standards for non-NCOWS-sanctioned events.  To apply for a Charter: submit a letter of application including a statement of purpose, a copy of the Posse’s organizational By-Laws, a list of Posse members (indicating which of them are NCOWS members and/or are applying for NCOWS membership---include new membership applications and fees), a proposed schedule of events to be sanctioned by NCOWS (if any), the name of the Posse’s Territorial Representative, and the Charter Fee.  Upon approval by the Executive Committee, the Posse’s Charter will be granted and the action published in the next issue of “The Shootist”. The Posse may immediately begin to employ the benefits of NCOWS membership."

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 10:17:01 AM »
I am an NCOWS "alone ranger" in Victoria BC. If an NCOWS posse got going, I might try to drop in. I've been a member for quite a few years bu never shot a match under NCOWS rules. :-[ :(
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 04:01:38 PM »
I am an NCOWS "alone ranger" in Victoria BC. If an NCOWS posse got going, I might try to drop in. I've been a member for quite a few years bu never shot a match under NCOWS rules. :-[ :(

Sir Charles,
someday I hope we'll meet. I've enjoyed the contributions you've made towards NCOWS camaraderie through posts here in CAS City.
You are not as "Alone Ranger" as you may think. While I don't have figures, there is a sizable number of our NCOWS family who do not have a local posse.

RCJ 
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline northwestgrizzly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 09:33:25 PM »
Any update on this? Anything been formed up?
"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com