Author Topic: I know I shouldn't have but I bought a 1876 Chappy 45-60 at a local gun show  (Read 5626 times)

Offline Dusty Earl

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I was unfired. Looks nice. Real wood ,fit is ok although wish it was darker. Cycles fine. I'm in Canada and I think this one came from Italy through Marstar.
Took it apart , cleaned and lubbed it. Only 2 issues. rear site dovetail poor fit and it wouldn't close with cut down 45-70.
I trimmed the rim down to specs .062 and it closes now. Still have to make some ammo to test fire it. I don't have a lathe so I used my drill press and a file. Next ones I will grind one side of the file smooth so it won't damage side of the case. How do most trim the rim down?
Real cases are special order and $3 each if you could  even get them. Hard even to get bullets or a mold in the 300 gr range. I will have to order one from the States. Is there one that has the crimp grove in the right place?
 I do have 340 grain for my 45-70 but load data seems to favour the lighter bullets.
A new Uberti would have cost $2000.00 if you could find one.

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I got a Uberti 45-60 a couple of years ago, and have thinned the rim of 45-70 cases as well as making the base a little smaller, so the bolt will close.  I did it exactly like you did, as 3.00 each for cases just because they have the correct headstamp is just a tad more than I can take.  I have a nephew who's a machinist, and he sais he'd be willing to do the machining of a bunch of cases for me, so I'm going to take him up on it. 

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Got my Chiappa three years ago and it is sensitive to case length... and the wood is terrible looking.  The only other issue is the lever isn't quite parallel to the barrel by 1/16".  Doesn't make any difference in performance and most people won't even notice, but it bugs me a bit.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
I don't know where you guy's are getting your prices from, but Captech has 45-60 brass for sale at $1.30 a piece for a box of 20, http://www.captechintl.com/products.php?cat=17&pg=4
King Medallion

Offline Dusty Earl

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Unfortunately they don't ship to Canada.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
I'd give them a call, just to be sure.

1. We are currently unable to ship outside the continental United States for online orders. You must call us at (605) 791-1974 to order if you are outside of this zone.
King Medallion

Offline doketx

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
King medallion, thanks for the info. about Captech.  I'll give them a try.
                                                                      Dave

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
If Captech won't ship there direct, you might try Buffalo Arms (www.buffaloarms.com).  They sell Captech brass, but the cost is a little higher.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
BACo will not sell brass to Canadians.. expensive permit issues I understand.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
BACo will not sell brass to Canadians.. expensive permit issues I understand.

I got some .45-75 brass from MARSTAR, but I've made more myself, from .348. I convert my own .455 cases by filing or lathe turning the front of the rims. It's fairly easy, but can be time-consuming.

Anything needed to make some noise!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Dusty Earl

• Citizen
  • Liked:
I finally got out to try shooting. Very accurate and comfortable to shoot. The only problem I had was if I was lazy in levering ,the bolt would not quite push the hammer all the way back and cause feed issue. Bolt locks up good. I will have to take it apart and see if there is something I can do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com