Author Topic: Reblue USFA Pre-War barrel?  (Read 3074 times)

Offline jphendren

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reblue USFA Pre-War barrel?
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »
Hello,

I have a USFA Pre-War, 4 3/4", .45 Colt revolver that I am debating getting the barrel reblued.  The gun is pristine except for a very thin area of exposed metal where the lands and grooves meet the barrel crown.  I had fired black powder in the gun many times, but this time I guess the temps were too high, and humidity too low.  The fouling was baked into the bore, and would not come out by any means.  I scrubbed with hot water, Windex, Hoppe's, and even Sweet's 7.62.  Nothing would touch it except abrasion.  I completely wore out two phosphor bronze bore brushes trying to get it out.  I spent around 20 hours on and off working on it, but still had a couple of very stubborn areas that resisted.

Stupidly I became desperate and used a stainless steel brush to remove the last bit, and it worked great.  A couple of passes and the last of the BP fouling came out.  But, it also removed some of the bluing on the sharp edge where the bore meets the crown.  The inside of the bore looks like a mirror, I don't see any blue loss inside.

This Pre-War was made in 2005, and from what I was told the Armory Blue was put on by Turnbull.  So I contacted Turnbull's shop about removing the barrel and re-charcoal bluing it, and the man on the phone told me it was an easy job and would cost around $300!  That is a LOT of money to me, but the damage I did to my baby is killing me.  Now that USFA is gone, is there anyone besides Turnbull you would let work on a Pre-War?  Or would you just pay the $300?  Or, just leave it alone and live with it?

Jared

Offline jphendren

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Reblue USFA Pre-War barrel?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 10:06:15 AM »

There is more loss on the address side of the bore, between the 3 and 6 O'clock positions.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 10:46:09 AM »
If it were me and the shined area bothered me that much I would clean the area of all grease or oil, apply a small amount of a good gold blue to a Q-tip and carefully go around the edge of the crown. It would probably make it totally unnoticeable. But that is me. I can't see spending $300 on a silver ring on the inside edge of the crown especially if I planned on continuing shooting the firearm.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:42:57 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:02:53 AM »
I really don't know how to tell you this, but no matter what you do - if you shoot it, and clean it - it'll come back, because it's a blued finish and not a plated one.

Seriously.

It's what happens when you actually use the piece for its intended purpose.

If it's such a bother and your eye is constantly drawn to it - then buy a 'good' cold blue and a box of Q-Tips and reapply color after every cleaning.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline jphendren

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. 

So it seems I was being too anal, and need to just get over it I guess  ;D  I most certainly intend to continue shooting this gun, I have three SAA's and this is the one that I shoot the most.

Jared

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 12:33:37 PM »
I'm with Lou & St. George on this.  A touch of cold blue, carefully applied, and you won't even notice it.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline jphendren

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 12:52:12 AM »
"How is the cylinder looking?"

The cylinder is perfect and spotless.  The bore is mint as well, no blue loss inside the bore that I can see.

Jared

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com