Author Topic: CIA 1887 Lever action shotgun  (Read 5731 times)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
CIA 1887 Lever action shotgun
« on: October 18, 2014, 09:11:53 PM »
Anyone out there using one for Cowboy Action shooting?
Give us the skinny on them
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CIA 1887 Lever action shotgun
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:50:43 PM »
I've got one that I've put a lot of work into and have it running better but not 100%.  I've not shot it in a match yet as I'm all thumbs loading it.  I'm considering shooting it in our next match with black powder loads.  I'll just have to take my time in loading.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 09:33:23 PM »
So far just messing around it does not want to feed the second round from the carrier if it starts on the carrier as the action is closed on a round going into the chamber.  It will feed the second round just fine if the second round started in the magazine.  The spring must position it on the carrier differently than just dumping in and pushing down.

I will probably take it down completely this weekend and smooth things up without changing any angles on critical pieces.  If that does not help, I can send it to someone like Lassiter.  Given I got the gun for $300 I have a lot of room for smithing before I reach the Chiappa cost.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:58:36 AM »

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
Out of the box they make a pretty good club.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »
Friday afternoon I took the beast apart.  Pretty simple.  Rubbed all the flat surfaces on 600 and 1500 grit sand paper.  Lightly touched all the non hammer / sear mating surfaces that could not be rubbed on the sand paper with a fine needle file.  Lightly touched all edges (again non hammer sear mating) with a needle file to make not sharp. 

Wrapped the sandpaper around a file and hit the inside of the receiver flat surfaces

Reassembled, took a long time, now that I have it figured out is really pretty simple to reassemble and it functions and is much slicker without really doing anything but a deburr and light smoothing. 

Seems to feed somewhat better but not knowing what I am doing, barely touched anything on the inside of the carrier.

A little grease and it is pretty nice to lever, the elevator pops up very well if levered with anything like authority

Still need to cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch of stock to make full opening of lever easy without thinking about making sure I fully operate.  Can do it with standard lop but have to work at it.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 05:05:17 PM »
Dan, be sure to post follow-ups on your gun. Seems ejection is often an issue, too, with these rascals. I'm thinking of getting one, adding a rifled choke tube, and making it a dedicated pumpkin-ball spitter.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 05:58:27 PM »
I ended up giving the gun to Lassiter, it is ready but not being anything if not a cheapskate, am waiting for him to bring it to WR rather than pay to have it shipped.  Will give a full review once I get it and shoot it.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com