Author Topic: Gov. Inspector Series Question  (Read 4657 times)

Offline VoyPescado

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gov. Inspector Series Question
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:29:39 PM »
Looking at purchasing a USFA Gov. Inspector Series.  The barrel address does not include the telling "Pt." definitively indicating an Uberti era USFA.  Is it safe to assume this guy falls within the more desirable '"all American" manufacture range.  The seller is asking $1,250.00 for the gun.  It looks brand new aside from a very faint turn ring.  Thoughts/opinions welcome.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Gov. Inspector Series Question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »
Unfortunately, no, it does not exclude the Uberti guns.  The "Inspector Series" guns were introduced well before the "all American" claim could be made (approx. 2001/2).  That being said, $1250 is not a bad price for ANY of the Inspector Series guns. 
One of the tell-tale differences between the Italian parts guns and the all U.S. guns is the shape of the cylinder flutes.  The Italian parts guns have flutes that are  more "pointed" at the end and extend beyond the bolt notch.  The U.S. guns have cylinder flutes that are more rounded and end about even with the bolt notch.
I, for one, Think that too much emphasis is placed on the Italian vs. U.S. parts differential, especially when it comes to specialty guns like the inspector series.  One has to remember that the pre U.S. guns, whether imported in whole or in part, were hand fit and finished here in the U.S. to USFA standards.  Fit and finish of USFA "parts guns" far exceeded anything that Uberti was importing.
That being said, my only concern would be the bold "drag line" that you mentioned.  If very minimal, I would go for it.  If excessive, I might pass, knowing that another Inspector Series gun might not come along again at that price in the very near future.   
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 11:22:51 PM »
I pretty much agree with Capt. John. I found a inspector series not long ago for slightly more than the one you are considering. It is an artillery model all USA made. It has been fired a little and has a slight drag line. I am very happy to have it especially considering the current prices for the inspector series guns.

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:56:27 PM »

Offline VoyPescado

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:12:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I actually pulled the trigger on this one first thing this morning.  I've been VERY diligently trying to hunt down a USFA in this particular configuration for about 8 months now.  I've seen a lot of them come and go at prices that I really just wasn't willing to pay.  Heck, there's a U.S.Pt.F.A Henry Nettleton on GB right now listed at $2,300.00! 

When I ran across this one on the webpage of a small town gun shop I thought it was surely an expired listing from 4 or 5 years ago...called the guy...he said the listing was old and they had taken the gun off the wall but may have just placed it in the back...30 long seconds later he picks up the phone and says, "Yep I got it right here"

The drag line actually wasn't even visible in the photos, he just noted a faint drag line when I asked about overall condition.  I asked him to read the barrel address "U.S.F.A. MFG. Co...." I asked him if there was an Uberti stamp under the barrel.  He said no, just some initials. I asked how the gun was mechanically and he said outstanding.  At that point i was pretty much decided.

As mentioned earlier, both "U.S.F.A." and "U.S.Pt.F.A." have been selling for some crazy high prices in recent months.  And most buyers, seem to either not know there's any difference or not care.  Prices seem to be fairly uniform across the board.  And let's be honest, the fit and finish on these guns, regardless of what's stamped on the barrel,  is consistently outstanding.

Offline VoyPescado

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 09:02:16 AM »
For your consideration...

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 11:22:27 AM »
I'd like to wade in here from the standpoint of Umpty Ump years as a CAS gunsmith before I retired.  There has been much discussion about USPFA vis USFA guns, here and elsewhere.  USPFA guns were made fromUberti parts, finished and fit in this country.  USFA guns were made from US parts, finished and fit in this country.  Those parts are INTERCHANGABLE.  for that reason, I always considered USPFA and USFA guns to be very very high end Uberti guns.  Put together well enough to be in many was superior to what was coming out of Colt.

So much for my opinion.  Now for my other opinion.  Considering the price, I hope you bought the gun.

Coffinmaker

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »
Thanks coffinmaker.
You've answered a question I've thought about lately as I've watched the USFA prices go way outside my envelope.
I wondered about the what should be the price/value differential between a "Uberti parts" gun vs a "USA parts" gun.
It sounds like you're saying it really isn't a quality issue.

I became interested in old timey guns about 2 years ago and jumped in big time, but by the time I learned about USFA they were out of business and their guns were going up astronomically and now they just don't make sense anymore.
I'd rather have 4-6 different Uberti's than the price of a single Rodeo.

Hat's off to the OP who got one for $1250.

Offline jdpress

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 06:00:01 PM »
Voy Pescado:

If you have the serial number for this Government Inspector Series single action I may be able to provide you with an approximate production date.

I too hope that you purchased this revolver!

J.D. Press

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com