Author Topic: Prince George BC  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Prince George BC
« on: October 12, 2014, 09:24:01 AM »
Two weeks ago, My wife and I visited Prince George, BC.  Now, having resided in six different provinces and having been to all major and most minor Canadian cities in the country, I was surprised at the number of downtown businesses that had bars on the windows and sliding security gates for securing the doors after hours and, this included some restaurants.  This is unusual for a Canadian city, especially in western Canada unless you count certain areas in Greater Vancouver.  So, I figured that PG must have a higher than normal crime rate.

When we returned home, I checked the crime rates by cities and, sure enough PG was right near the top.  Like I said earlier, I was surprised, not used to seeing Canadian downtown businesses fortified like that.

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: Prince George BC
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 11:30:13 AM »
There has been an ongoing gang war for about 10 years. The prizes are, of course, drugs and prostitution. Shades of the Old West!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 12:42:17 PM »
There has been an ongoing gang war for about 10 years. The prizes are, of course, drugs and prostitution. Shades of the Old West!

That's too bad, nice city other than that, lots of parks.

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:37:49 PM »

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:53:48 PM »
Sir Charles has had an insider's opportunity to appreciate PG's lawlessness.  But for me, even as a retired Mounted Policeman, and having lived in the city since 1977, I do not see it.  But having said that, no matter where I am, particularly in a city, I stay alert and aware of my surroundings.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 02:27:57 PM »
Sir Charles has had an insider's opportunity to appreciate PG's lawlessness.  But for me, even as a retired Mounted Policeman, and having lived in the city since 1977, I do not see it.  But having said that, no matter where I am, particularly in a city, I stay alert and aware of my surroundings.

I'm a retired Military Police Captain, it just seemed "different" to see that many bars on windows and security gates on a downtown of a city of its size.  I'm near Red Deer, AB and it is listed as having a high crime rate but lacks the bars and gates.  In reference to your last sentence, one must always have a plan B and an escape route.

Cheers!
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 03:20:07 PM »
BCLD: I was in 20 Fd Regiment,  RCA.  Are you a member of the 78 Fd Bty mess?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 07:38:40 PM »
BCLD: I was in 20 Fd Regiment,  RCA.  Are you a member of the 78 Fd Bty mess?

I'm afraid not.  Before I joined the RCAF, I paraded at Red Deer with C Squadron, King's Own Calgary Regiment, formally known as the Calgary Tank Regiment.

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 02:55:28 PM »

I go to PG occasionally and I see many more street people than I do here in Quesnel. I have been told that there are some areas where residents prefer not to be after dark, particularly females. Storekeepers would not be boarding up their premises if it wasn't deemed necessary for insurance reasons.

The issue is not unique to Prince George by any means. We have a foot bridge (the old Moffat Bridge) in Quesnel that crosses the Fraser River. It has an emergency help phone on it for good reason. I know people who have been accosted by youths from the indigenous population while crossing it and women are advised not to use the bridge at night.

My wife and I were strolling across it one fine afternoon and came face to face with four youths who assumed the right of way. I made eye contact with the obvious leader and they parted around us. My wife has not wanted to walk across that bridge since. They got the message - "NO VICTIMS HERE", but it had the potential of getting ugly very quickly.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 03:47:09 PM »
I have been in some pretty rough places though out the world.
Some of this is due to being common places the USN likes to dock and offer Liberty to the Fleet in those areas.

We always called these areas the American "Gut!" of these types of ports of call. I tried to stay away from these areas. (Please note, this has nothing to do with what Canadians may think or call it, only what we in the USN called it.)

The grating and iron bars on the store/bar fronts are not all that uncommon.
I have always suspected most of this is due to getting better insurance protection for ones property.
Just some thoughts on my part.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »
I go to PG occasionally and I see many more street people than I do here in Quesnel. I have been told that there are some areas where residents prefer not to be after dark, particularly females. Storekeepers would not be boarding up their premises if it wasn't deemed necessary for insurance reasons.

The issue is not unique to Prince George by any means. We have a foot bridge (the old Moffat Bridge) in Quesnel that crosses the Fraser River. It has an emergency help phone on it for good reason. I know people who have been accosted by youths from the indigenous population while crossing it and women are advised not to use the bridge at night.

My wife and I were strolling across it one fine afternoon and came face to face with four youths who assumed the right of way. I made eye contact with the obvious leader and they parted around us. My wife has not wanted to walk across that bridge since. They got the message - "NO VICTIMS HERE", but it had the potential of getting ugly very quickly.

I noticed that phone when my wife and I crossed over and back.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com