Author Topic: Buffalo target sources  (Read 7199 times)

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Buffalo target sources
« on: October 10, 2014, 02:44:48 PM »
I've been looking around for buffalo targets and so far have only found 2 sources.   One has ok animals and good 3/8" steel, the other only 1/4 steel.   

DSWelding has the usable ones.   Does anyone know of other mfgs?   

tia

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Buffalo target sources
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »
Has anyone got any special targets they use for Buffalo? ...other than the available buffalos that is.....

A bucket would count for sure. 

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
If you provide them with a pattern, about any steel supply/welding shop could make them any thickness you want.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:48:19 AM »

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 04:52:34 AM »
If you provide them with a pattern, about any steel supply/welding shop could make them any thickness you want.

Thanks
Just got a line on a couple of local shops that do just that.  Now all I gotta do is work out an efficient layout for the cutting.

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 04:10:17 PM »
I've got some knock down buffalo targets, It's probably worth the money to have them cut out
of good steel that will ring and hold up. these targets, you can really see the difference in
the steel that was used, some good, some softer that really gets beat up

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 09:03:13 AM »
Just for the sake of discussion only...
B.T.B.'s comments are true and for certain sure, I've had the pleasure to have participated in many events using the Buff targets he mentions, the price you will spend is well worth it!
Now, if you want to go the 'Cheap' way, and don't worry about how long the targets will last, consider trying this...
A fellow Buff-shooter told me many years ago that his Pards would buy a bunch of drywall sheets, 4'x8', have their kids paint Buffs on them, prop them up with a steel fence post or 2'x4' and set them out at 50, 100 and etc. yards. When hit the 'targets' would show a puff of dust indicating where the bullet hit. They would last for a weekend event and then they were used for backing on the next 'target'.
Anyway, have fun and keep on enjoying our hobby!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 08:57:58 AM »
Hey Gabe,
    The sheetrock idea could certainly work, especially for special shots like for a shootoff or somesuch.   In fact, cutouts hung in front of plate would be useful for specialty targets.  The plate behind an animal cutout could be the kill zone.  If your shot clanged, you'd get credit for a kill.  If not, you wounded.

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 09:15:54 AM »
There are a few clubs around the area that have been running "Buffalo" matches.  I put Buffalo in parenthesis because until my own club got some buffalo shaped targets the targets were just plate.  Well, actually one club used a couple of silhouette turkeys from HP pistol NRA matches.   They seem very atuned to providing sharp visibility for the targets.  Guess their customers wanted it.  One club hung great big sheets of black plastic behind the white painted steel for example.  anyway........

I've been messing around for awhile trying to work up a much more economical and easy to setup way to stay in step with those clubs.   We tried the big sheets of plastic.   Cost, waste and setup time sucked.   

Our target hanger frames gave me an idea.  The other day, I tried something using garbage bags.  The club only had black bags so I pulled an old sheet out of the rag bag.   It took a couple of seconds to clamp at the top and trap the bottom under the frame's two feet.   

We don't repaint the targets once the match starts and both white and black targets slowly turn medium grey.  The grey is about the same greyscale as the backstop, so toward the end of the match getting a good sight picture is a challenge.  When the sun is behind the backstop the trees make things worse.   Sometimes just figuring out where the smaller targets are is a problem.   We consider it a "hunting challenge" but truth is, if we ever have a big turnout, we're going to have to repaint.   or.......

Covering the target frames could provide an "arrow" pointing to the plates hanging on them.

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
Someone suggested we paint the buffalo (the black target on the left is shaped like a buffalo) it's natural colors and live with that.   I was wondering how a real buffalo would blend into hill behind our backstop..........

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 09:19:02 AM »
L.R., Kind Sir,
Many years ago, the CVR NCOWS POSSE, now defunct,  put on Buff Shoots up at the Ackley, Iowa range. The targets that B.T.B. mentions above where used for those events. My Family sponsored a 'Stand' event every year for awhile til the number of Shooters ran out due to work schedules, age, health, etc. The Ramrod of the Buff events at CVR had a full-size Buff target made and it was painted white with a black bullseye. It was the final target in our 2-day event with ranges running from 400 to 1,000 yards, the Shooters moving back after each relay.
At 1,000 yards shooting into the morning sun, uphill, it was always a challenge but they all came through and helped each other spot and josh when hits and misses were made. I even hit the Beast at 1,000 in the butt with my Pedersoli 45-70 and tang sights with handloads, not to shabby for an old Fart! Of course I stopped shooting after hitting it so I wouldn't embarass myself anymore, HAH!
Anyway, a Buff target in realistic colors would make significant challenge to the Shooters and I would encourage you to give it a try as it will make for some 'tall tales' for sure and certain for those that hit it!
Create your own 'Stand' event and have a ton of fun!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe
P.S.
Where is your range located just in case some of us Iowegians, Illini, Minnesnowtans and Wisconsonites might get the urge to attend?

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »
Gabe,
   What you describe sounds like a fantasy that shooters around here have every so often.   Heck, most of them would settle for getting another hundred yards tacked on the 200yd range that's the max at most clubs.   

The closest thing to realism at the 3 clubs that hold shoots is the buffalo target in the picture.  It's the black target on the left that's hanging on the frame that has the piece of white sheet.   (and it's sort of a cartoon buffalo to make it more a target than a true outline)

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 08:34:08 AM »
Just thought I'd show the buffalo targets used nowadays.   Somewhat wider than a brick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com