Author Topic: Which caliber  (Read 4832 times)

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
Which caliber
« on: October 06, 2014, 05:15:46 PM »
I am thinking seriously about getting an original 76. I was wondering about some of your opinions
on your favorite caliber. I won't be able to use it for hunting here in Iowa, but will want to shoot it
possibly at a ncows long range match, or just target shooting. I will only use black powder. I have all
loading equipment for my sharps rifles, but that will all be too big 45/90  540gr bullet, 50/90 650 gr bullet
I think a 76 would be cool to own to go along with my 73 in 44/40

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Which caliber
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 06:56:37 PM »
BTB,

I prefer the 45-60 because it is easier to reload.  I also have a 45-75, the only advantage the 45-75 has over the 45-60 is that it holds more powder.  I find the 45-60 has enough power for target shooting.

Silver Rings
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline hammer1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 07:05:22 PM »
Im with silver rings, 45-60. My uberti is one of my favorites, I run a load of 350 gr lazercast out of mine.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:31:38 PM »

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 10:01:43 AM »
Well--when I got mine--it was sort of a toss-up between the 45-60 and the 45-75, but I decided to go with what Teddy Roosevelt had and that was a 45-75.  Even tho mine has the "Uberti" size chamber, I really like my rifle and it does give me about 5-6 more grains of BP.  So you will have to make your own mind up on which to get but that is what I have anyway.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »
BTB -In my opinion, this is not a practical rifle in the modern sense, so choosing a caliber for practical reasons isn't required. Go with what your heart says. None of the calibers are really hard to load. Just different amounts of powder and bullet sizes. I went with the 50-95. Its not practical, but its fun to shoot and satisfies my soul. Go with what satisfies YOUR soul!
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 08:20:54 PM »
I bought a 76 last Friday, its a 40-60, in good condition, made in 1887. I will probably shoot a 210 grain bullet on top
of swiss powder. Buffalo arms has die sets that vary widely in price, any recommendations on what any of you guys have used?
I will have to slug the bore first, as I'm learning that bore sizes vary. I have a Sharps that shoots very well, so this 76 will
just be a neat gun to have, with the original sights I can't see me ever getting it to shoot anything like my Sharps. But
it will sure be cool next to it's little brother (my 73).  Any advice will be appreciated!!

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 10:06:59 AM »
I bought a 76 last Friday, its a 40-60, in good condition, made in 1887. I will probably shoot a 210 grain bullet on top
of swiss powder. Buffalo arms has die sets that vary widely in price, any recommendations on what any of you guys have used?
I will have to slug the bore first, as I'm learning that bore sizes vary. I have a Sharps that shoots very well, so this 76 will
just be a neat gun to have, with the original sights I can't see me ever getting it to shoot anything like my Sharps. But
it will sure be cool next to it's little brother (my 73).  Any advice will be appreciated!!

BTB
BTB glad to hear you got a 1876 Winchester 40-60wcf. I know you will like the rifle and caliber combo.  Like you said you can spend a little on dies or a lot. I have a set of the Lee dies in cal. 40-60wcf and they work just fine. Although I tend to use the Winchester tong tool for reloading my original rifles. I have tried the 210 gr.@.406 bullet that BACO offers it is a very good bullet and has shot well in my 40-60 s . I also use a 255 gr. bullet cast from a 40-82 wcf mould @ .406 I cast the bullets soft for any bump-up that may be needed. Have found that Swiss 2ff works great under these bullets with STD. primers,and my home brew lube Bee wax /tallow/ olive oil . Jamison brass has held up well for me in the 40-60 wcf. The old 76 in 40-60 is a pleasure to shoot ,and is Bad medicine on wild hog and deer. Hunting season is just about to start here in Tx. so my 1876 Win.40-60 22" barrel is about to get a workout! Hope you enjoy your new old rifle ! If I can help any way just give me a holler! ,,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com