Author Topic: Uberti Cattleman grip frames??  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Uberti Cattleman grip frames??
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:07:03 PM »
Are they considered the same size/shape as 1st generation or 2nd/3rd generation colts?

I want to get a set of two piece black hard rubber Vintage grips from Midway for a Uberti Millenium.  Midway and the Vintage website list a 1st gen and/or 2nd/3rd gen optional grips.  Now I know what that means if I had real colt SAA but what one would be a 'best fit' for the present day Cattleman grip frame?

Thanks
Black River Smith

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Uberti Cattleman grip frames??
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 04:19:57 PM »
I think Ubertis are closer to 1st gen Colts, but there may be a lot of fitting anyway.  However, when you say Millenium I think of the guns with the matte finish and unpolished brass gripframe.  If that is what you have, I'm not sure but think that brass gripframe and grip is the Navy style and is not really a compatible shape with SAA grips.  Maybe someone else will have better info.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »
Yes, this is the matte finish with brass BS and TG.

So these are not just cattleman parts that are not polished but a total different modelling?

What are the brass grips that are seen on CH cattleman.  Are they a different size?

I believe your statement because of your experience but that sure doesn't sound like good production sense on Uberti's part.  I know different suppliers can have specific specs but I thought these matte finishes where general parts with the funny finish.

Thanks
Black River Smith

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:52:54 PM »

Offline Gus Walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • The sunny slopes of long ago.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 06:14:05 PM »
You may have a bit of fitting any way you go. I have an Uberti Millinieum finish with a steel grip frame.and a stainless cattleman. Both 45's. The grips will not interchange. As a matter of fact they are not even close. Hell the cylinders wont exchange between the two either.
Aye its been quite a ride aint it?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 06:16:16 PM »
Ok, just so you might understand, unless you get very very very lucky, nobody's grips will fit anybody's gun.  Each grip frame is "fit" to an individual gun, then the wood is fit to that specific grip.  ALL of the better after-market grip makers leave their grips a little oversize so the consumer can perform the final fitting.  Makes it more fun that way.
Better:  Seand a tracing  of your grip frames (as mounted on the gun) to the grip maker.
Best:  If your grip maker offers the service, send in your grip frames.
Most Fun:  if your handy, order away and take your chances.

Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 09:03:13 PM »
Well thanks all.

I do realize that the manufactures custom fit all grips but I thought the shapes followed one of the colt gen's.

I think I fit Coffinmaker's 'Most Fun' catagory and will order and take the chances.  I know I have to intalll a pin to make them work too.

So here goes....
Black River Smith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com