Author Topic: Cops are wimps!  (Read 6840 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cops are wimps!
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:38:54 AM »
Thought this might amuse some .... Just returned from a memorial/fund raiser revolver shoot. I met the crowd I shot with as far back as the '70's. Damn - some of us are getting' old! Fifty-five shooters registered.

They cut the last two stages as some of the people were suffering in the 30C (86F) temps! At least half the crowd was retired cops and active PPC shooters.

I don't know how many CAS events and three gun events I've shot in similar conditions - full uniform or Cowboy regalia. Many of the guys and gals in this shoot were wearing shorts and T-shirts!

There were two full sized poppers at 50 yds in the event, the last targets in one stage. After watching most shooters miss repeatedly shooting off hand, I found the 'sweet spot' between the IDPA targets and went prone. Hitting a popper at 50 yds with the fine single action pull of a 4" S&W 66 is not a difficult shot.

It was pointed out to me later that most could not get down into prone or back up without assistance, so I was the only one to do so.
Being a "dangerous smurf" has it's moments .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Cops are wimps!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 12:32:37 PM »
Wimps they may be. I can only say that after a career in Law enforcement that the wear and tear on the body much less the mind is extraordinary.Add to the fact that most are ex military the toll mounts.The average officer lives less than ten years after retirement.
I have exceeded this but not without pain from multiple broken bones and the wear and tear of years as patrolman,Tactical offficer,mounted  officer and investigator in a time where Saturday nights meant you fought tooth and nail many times just to get home covered in blood . both yours and the idiot you had to drag out of a barroom. Or the burns from crawling in a burning house to help pull out a person before the firefighters arrived. Or spending long hours in the saddle as a mounted officer not to mention having an inattentive driver  hit the horse your riding and having the horse roll over on you.Loss of sleep and alienation of your family and friends that you havent seen because your called out on your off time to work constantly. Being shot at more times that you'd like to remember and spat at pissed on and deloused because of the fine people that you had to lay your hands upon.
 Yep we probably are wimps,the old guys like me who are still around,we move slower and we complain louder and we need help to get up and down. But dont you ever think that one of those old wimps wont come unwound on you in a New York minute when he has to. Shooting paper targets is fun but in real life those old wimps have seen the elephant and slapped it between the eyes.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 12:50:41 PM »
Well stated, Don...

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:41:43 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 03:01:05 PM »
Oooh, ruffled a few feathers there ..... :>)

Not a lot of cops in Canada were soldiers before becoming LEO's. And they aren't the only ones who experienced pain or injury in the course of their working lives.

I served 12 years Regular Army, during which I came out of an airplane 318 times from as high as 13,000'. That's a lot of bumps to the body. In civilian life, I spent 15 years responding to blowing gas incidents when I wasn't welding and installing gas mains and services. The next 13 years were spent doing the same thing as a technician/gas fitter on the other side of the meter.

As for danger, in Canada, being a LEO doesn't make the top ten most dangerous jobs. Fallers, firemen, electricians, miners and other trades are far more dangerous.

I learned in the Army that a large 'machine' requires a lot of fuel and downtime to keep running efficiently. The guys I was happy to be with in a bar fight were the first to crap out when the going got rough and we had to go without sleep or food for just 72 hour exercises. It was the small, wiry types that could run on 'empty' the best.

I just bought a magazine that covers all the US special forces units - Rangers, Green Berets, SEALS, etc. A SEAL is quoted saying that the best SEALS are the guys that weigh 145 lbs soaking wet. That's what I weighed as a soldier and it's my current weight. Takes work and effort to keep it there, especially since my wife is a "foodie", a retired Home Ec teacher.

I do it for the sheer joy of it and because life has been good and I intend to enjoy a lot more of it. A bout of alcoholism and a little tussle with the 'Big C' made me appreciate it even more. Every day is a bonus and I try to deserve it.

"The only easy day was yesterday."  

Peace, brothers.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
PJ,

Do you have anything in Canada that you can post a message like this?

Perhaps you should not be surprised with few ruffled feathers here unless that is what your purpose/intent was?

My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 04:13:06 PM »
YEA! Well i never needed no woman to do my policein,army fightin,or anything else for that matter! They don't belong there!! >:( >:(

Reckon that otter throw some tar on them feathers!  ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 06:22:05 PM »
Officers get little respect when working, after retirement it's like you don't exist.
I still get around pretty good but I hurt all the time.
I don't remeber anyone bitching when I pulled some bad guy off of'm.
Oh well.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »
YEA! Well i never needed no woman to do my policein,army fightin,or anything else for that matter! They don't belong there!! >:( >:(
Reckon that otter throw some tar on them feathers!  ;D

"Perhaps you should not be surprised with few ruffled feathers here unless that is what your purpose/intent was?"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »
Officers get little respect when working, after retirement it's like you don't exist.
I still get around pretty good but I hurt all the time.
I don't remeber anyone bitching when I pulled some bad guy off of'm.
Oh well.

Well, if you're trying to make me think that it's any different for retired/injured soldiers - think again. We did our jobs, took our lumps and got shown the gate. That's why they call it "service".

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 09:36:15 PM »
I fought forest fires for a tad,ran dozers,road grinders,graders,patched,hauled heavy equipment in the cold and the heat of the valley,had pins in my back and a new hip installed...It get very hot doing road work,the last five years doin it in dire pain and cortizone shots to keep goin.

All i needed a woman for was when i got home and stripped down to my boxers the wife threw me soap and blasted me with the garden hose after 10 15 hours in the heat.

Hey i just wanted in on the fun. ;D I'll take what i did over bein an LEO anytime,my cousin is and was a Marine sniper and now Lu-ten-tant of local PD. HOOOORAAAAH!
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 12:48:29 PM »
There is a general lack of understanding about the lives of LEOs.I know a lot of soldiers having been one myself and while there is a definite parallel there is also a wide divergence between the two.
 While you are proud of the fact that you are 145lbs soaking wet,neighbor,you would not have even been considered for employment either in the Military or asa civilian LEO. When I was first recruited for the US Army military Police the minimum weight height requirement was 5'8" and 160lbs. To work at my Department it was 6"/180. Weight and height were an asset. When you waded into a juke joint where a fight had broken out in a crowd of two hundred drunk blacks,buddy you had better be the biggest baddest cat in the room or you were going to get hurt.
Fighting was common place and a week didnt go by where one or more of the night shift was involved with a physical altercation. This was in a time when deputies patrolled large areas of the county alone  and back up was non- existant in many cases .In the military I had a partner,as a deputy none,later after nine officers were killed in the state of Arkansas in one six month period including  one on my watch things got a little better.
 Leos losses are high. Higher than the military . We are losing a LEO every 48 hrs or so. If that was happening in Afghanistan half the country would be screaming to pull our troops out.
 One night as I crawled along the wall of a housing project where the natives were restless after a gun fight erupted during a search warrant and one officer was wounded and one suspect killed, I was struck by the fact that not much had changed since my army days, I was still in Indian country crawling through the brush with an M16 only now I had no helmet and I was wearing a white shirt and tie which made me stand out at night like a diamond in a goats butt.
LEOs do that crap day in and day out until one day they cant get out of the car quick enough or cant get off the ground quick enough.The back goes out wrestling with a 300 lb sweaty mental patient off his meds and swinging a ball bat and you realize. you've become a wimp. Your not a  145lbs  fighting machine anymore reading magazines about Special forces operators and flexing your prowess with a firearm at the range .
 I'm not offended by your post,I've heard all this crap before ad finitum, It just gets a little tedious sometimes.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »
Well Don, I's sorry to read of the sad state of affairs in your country that makes it a virtual 'war zone' for LEO's.  Cop killings do happen here, but they are rare and the result of an individual going off the rails. The thread of our society has not yet unravelled to the degree that it has in the US.

Am I supposed to be diminished because I wouldn't have met the cut as a US military/civilian policeman? One of us in this conversation does hand stand push ups (sit ups, chin ups and a lot of other exercises) on a daily basis. I don't recall claiming to be "a 145 lb fighting machine" but at the match I mentioned, it wasn't me that was bagged out after shooting four easy stages because it was a warm, pleasant day.
Every two day, 10 stage CAS event I've been to over the last several years has had similar conditions. Contributors on this forum report such conditions on a regular basis.

The height requirement in the RCMP used to be 5'10" but that went by the board when it went non-gender specific due to PC and the need for more recruits. Somehow the force has carried on as have our co-ed armed forces.

With the social ills the US is facing, it's not surprising that the life of a LEO is a difficult one. The sheer numbers of disenfranchised people in decaying cities makes this inevitable. Tough job, but somebody's got to do it. I'm glad that it's not me.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 03:05:10 PM »
I came out of an airplane 318 times from as high as 13,000'.

Anyone who would jump out of a perfectly good aircraft that many times has issues.

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »
76 Peace Officers reported killed in the line of duty in the US to date.
The only parade you get is the one to the cemetery.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 10:37:59 AM »
76 Peace Officers reported killed in the line of duty in the US to date.
The only parade you get is the one to the cemetery.

And when a soldier comes home in a box .... ? His Regiment and family have a memorial. If he suffers from PTSD, his career is over.
We've lost more soldiers to suicide than we did in combat during the 10 year Afghanistan mission.

The Canadian people provided the most meaningful memorial, lining the bridges and overpasses along the "Highway of Heroes" as the funeral corteges left the airport on their way home. They silently held banners and flags as a show of respect.

A cop gets killed in the line of duty and THOUSANDS of LEO's show up from both the US/Canada and overseas, travelling on the public purse.
Makes you wonder who's minding the store back home.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »
We show up for each other because worthless citizens sit home and don't care.
Sounds like you have sour grapes because you just weren't enough of a man to wear the badge.
And I'm tired of hearing your trash so I'm off this  topic.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 03:32:09 PM »
Shotgun Franklin,

Please note post #4. It is pure flame bating on PJ's part.
Also note, how the troll turned it around. Don't feed the trolls!
Where are the Moderators at a time like this?
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline hammer1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »
Anyone who would jump out of a perfectly good aircraft that many times has issues.

mean bob, there aint no such thing as a " perfectly good" aircraft in the US  military, ive been in c130s that were older than we were. And I was dumb enough to step out of a c141 into the night sky over panama with 2nd ranger btn, when a president we had decided noriega had to go. ;D

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 07:26:18 PM »
Thanks Shotgun I concur with you 100%
Although I did make an error,the average is ever 72 hrs rather than 48 ,my mistake.
But one thing I have noticed lately is the fact that the wanna bees have come out of the wood work. As a Senior Ride Captain for the Patriot Guard Riders in both Texas ans Southwest Arkansas, attending  military funerals, it is amazing the number of veterans you see who are either Special Forces or Command Sergeant Majors. I talked with the president of the Vietnam Veterans Assoc. and he told me that they had more people claiming to be vets than ever served in all four services. Then you get the so called excops. Same thing , all ex homocide or they're swat or motor officers depending on who you talk to. When you start asking ,did you know so and so that worked where they usually come up with well I was a special deputy and worked under cover so I didnt know the line officers. Or they were a reserve officer or a Constables deputy. All were heroes.
 its the same ole same ole ,like I said it just gets tedious.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 08:17:55 PM »
I report that a bunch of overweight, over-the-hill good ol' boy cops wilted in the heat at a match and I'm a troll? Nobody cares when a cop gets killed? Gimme a break .....

Must have been rough all those years riding around in air-conditioned cruisers compared to humping a pack in 45C (112F) temps in the sand box like the grunts.

And as usual, when the choir can't come up with an intelligent rebuttal, the default is to attack the individual as opposed to his premise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com