Author Topic: Entry Level Beading  (Read 5792 times)

1961MJS

Entry Level Beading
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:43:01 PM »
Hi

I'm working up an Indian War Enlisted Infantry Soldier for SASS, NCOWS, and GAF (first).  I've put together several butcher knives and I'd like to work up a beaded sheath for that outfit.  I plan on carrying a 6, 7, or 8 inch Russell Green River butcher  blade (they come in all three lengths), and I’d like to carry it in a beaded sheath. 

I own Plains Indian Knife Sheaths: Materials, Design & Construction written by Kozlov, Alex.  For my first effort in sheath making, I plan on doing a tacked sheath, not a beaded one, but when I tackle a beaded one, what shape is easiest?  In some ways, I’d guess that the trapezoidal ones are the easiest instead of the ones that are the same shape as a knife itself.

My experience in beading is that I stitched 454 and 457 on the outside of a couple of pigskin bags that I stored round balls of that size (454 and 457) in.  I think what I did was known as applique stitching, the needle went all of the way through the leather.  I'd like to learn how to do the lazy stitch.  What is the best source of information on doing the lazy stitch?  Website, DVD or book?

It is my understanding that the French 10/0 or 8/0 beads are the most authentic, Crazy Crow has them, and I could get a few of them.  What needle is used?  Is needle size dependent on bead size?  I remember reading (don’t remember where though) that you should use Sinew that’s the same diameter as the beads.  I don’t want to waste original beads on a SASS / NCOWS / GAF setup because I’m pretty sure I’m 0% native American… 

What bead size, needle, and thread should I use?  Do I need an awl the same size as the needle?  Is there other equipment / stuff that I need?  Besides why woiuld anyone want to play with little biddy things and a needle, what didn't I ask that I need to know?  I also emailed Crazy Crow with a similar question. 

Thanks   ;D

Offline dwight55

• Top Active Citizen
    • Dwight's Leather Shop
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Entry Level Beading
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:42:19 PM »
A few years back, . . . I designed and beaded an applique panel for a gun bag, . . . it is the USMC Globe, Eagle, & anchor.

I bought the beads at a regular beading store, . . . and asked the clerk there how I should do it.  She showed me how to weave it all together, . . . and she also told me to put back the thread I had selected.

Laugh, . . . I did.  She told me the very best thread to use was dental floss, . . . much stronger, . . . much better.  I did it, . . . and the applique panel turned out really great, . . . at least I think so.

Anyway, . . . passing on the info on dental floss, . . . and FYI, . . . there are approximately 2400 beads in that little panel.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you can breathe:  thank God

If you can read:  thank a teacher

If you can read this in English:  thank a Veteran

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 12:03:50 PM »
Uh,yea i would say that's nice!!
Bunch a ole scudders!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:13:37 AM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »
Looks good, Dwight. Good tip on the dental floss. Can't say I'd have thought of it but it makes sense.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 07:13:43 AM »
Not sure if they still make it BUT the strongest dang thread sub I ever did see was the old small test size Spider Wire fishing line.  I believe a fat boy could use hat stuff fer rappelling!  Chuck is a master of this skill and has a library full of information he can recommend.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:43:23 AM »
I have a bunch of books on beadwork but one you really need to have is Georg Barth's. I've done a lot of studying but due to time constraints, have not yet had a chance to do but just a couple of test pieces.

http://amzn.com/0936984120
SASS #81,827

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »
Barth's book is good but you can download William Orchard's seminal book in PDF here to start -

http://www.siouxspecialties.com/quillworkprimer.html

Gotta help the wife with some chores so I'll be back later to answer your questions and if I can find them offer up some pics of how-to do a basic lane stitch (lazy stitch is now politically incorrect, I generally despise political correctness, but in fact lane stitch is a better descriptor since that is exactly what you are doing making lanes of beads)

PS also look at a lot of originals to get the feel of the period you're interested in especially since older beadwork is seldom perfect and even unlike so much of the modern work being done that can almost look at least to machine made.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

1961MJS

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »
Hi

Thanks everyone.  I'm cleaning out my parent's house so we can sell it so I won't be trying much of this real soon, but this is as HUGE help.

Thanks

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »
Look for the "Book Of Buckskinning III" from Muzzleloader magazine. I believe Tandy also carries it. That will give you instructions for several different styles as well as showing different styles of sheaths. Heck, they even have graph paper that you can photocopy forlaying out your design.
All growed up and still playin' Cowboy!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com