Author Topic: Dragoon Holster  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dragoon Holster
« on: September 09, 2014, 10:12:33 AM »
Hi Folks:

My wife will tell you that I was born with a low frustration threshold so forgive
me if it seems a little early in the game for this post.

I would like to be able to carry my Dragoon to, from and on the range in a holster and so far the
design I have been drawn to is a kind of shoulder holster affair that pops up at CABELAS and other locations.
It would allow for a cross-draw and the weight of the revolver would be shared by the shoulders and waist.
So far so good.
The hitch is that I keep seeing disclaimers that such holsters are only good for the Army and Navy Colt and
I recently saw a mention where this disclaimer was extended to read "....does not fit the Dragoon".

Question: Am I looking at a custom-made rig, a modification of a current design or settling for some huge mexican Double-loop affair for my hip? I really don't care for the California Slim Jim or the Cavalry Flap Holster. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Dragoon Holster
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 01:26:07 PM »
The Dragoon, as you know, is somewhat bigger than 'most' other pistols so you will have to go custom.
Being a tight Scottish-born Brit who makes his own stuff,(if possible), thats what I did for my Walker.
Unfortunately, news of this got out, and now I am approached fairly regularly with, "can you just make me,,,,,,".
It's a good job I'm retired and got some time on my hands 'cos I don't like to disappoint folk if I can help it.
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »
if you can find a holster you like for a Ruger Old Army , it just might fit your Dragoon too.  I have a military style flap holster made for the Ruger, that I can also use for a Dragoon.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:45:43 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:40:27 PM »
Hmmm,

I have two 5.5"SS Ruger Old Armies that I get more use out of in reenactment now that SASS allows no double-forward-facing holsters ... in fact, here is a pic:

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 12:10:22 AM »
Looking Good Wadd
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline santee

• Keeping the Spirit of the Old West Alive
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The business end of a sixgun earns no interest.
    • Arizona Ghostriders
  • SASS #: 2171
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »
Great duds, WWE
Historian at Old Tucson Studios
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 07:47:35 PM »
What would those holsters be iffn you turned the whole rig around to put the buckle in back?? :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com