Author Topic: My new case hardened Miruko-Chester 1873 came in today  (Read 10415 times)

Offline lentuk

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My new case hardened Miruko-Chester 1873 came in today
« on: September 06, 2014, 05:31:01 PM »
Hi everyone, got the first look at my new Winchester 1873 today.
 .44-40 of course, got to wait 10 more days to play with it though.
 I am impressed, color case is very nice, looks kind of splotchy because of the factory oily gunk all over the rifle.
 Wood to metal fit is very good, action is slick and smooth.
 Anyone know what that screw on the top of the receiver is, the one by the dust cover, part of the new firing pin safety?

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Re: My new case hardened Miruko-Chester 1873 came in today
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:03:48 PM »
I don't know about the screw,  but that is a nice looking gun.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 10:30:34 PM »
Beautiful rifle.  I've got the hots for one just like it.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:19:42 PM »

Offline TDW

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:43:52 PM »
lentuck'
   That's one sweet looking rifle ! The screw on top is for the two piece firing pin. I hope my case colored .45 is on it's way...It's been a tough wait... :(
Tom
The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse.

Offline Rick53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 03:37:38 PM »
Just Beautiful: Look at this one. Is there a plastic film on this when they arrive. This is a picture of one I am looking at : You have to zoom in to see what I mean: Double Click to zoom in

Offline Tommy Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »
Hello Lentuk.  The screw you ask about is part of the firing pin safety.  The screw holds the pin you see just behind the screw head so that the pin engages the pivoting lever on top of the firing pin extention so that the firing pin cannot be struck unless the trigger is pulled.  On a competition gun to insure reliable operation with the lightest possible main spring, that safety is a good thing to get rid of by removing it, or even better, installing a light weight PGW firing pin extension.

Nice gun.  Hope you enjoy it.

TR
Tommy Reb

Offline Rick53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 08:35:44 PM »
Hello Lentuk.  The screw you ask about is part of the firing pin safety.  The screw holds the pin you see just behind the screw head so that the pin engages the pivoting lever on top of the firing pin extention so that the firing pin cannot be struck unless the trigger is pulled.  On a competition gun to insure reliable operation with the lightest possible main spring, that safety is a good thing to get rid of by removing it, or even better, installing a light weight PGW firing pin extension.

Nice gun.  Hope you enjoy it.

TR
Tommy who slicks the action up on these? I noticed Pioneer GW sells 3 parts for the Winchester Miruko 73's. I assume they are all drop in. Not sure if I need the Short stroke, but the action could be smoother then it is. I notice you also have to make a positive effort to depress the lever to get the rifle to fire. Are parts the way to go. Or sending it to someone?

Offline Tommy Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »
Hello Rick53.  Of the PGW's parts, only the firing pin extension is what would most likely be a "drop in".  The short stroke kit and carrier most definitely requires fitting to your gun.  It's not hard, but you do need to understand the timing of a '73 to get it right.  There are no aftermarket light springs that I am aware of so that means modifying the factory springs.  Again, not hard, but some previous experience is desireable.  If you go too far, replacement parts can be a problem.  I install the lever safety spring that PGW's sells for the Uberti, but that requires modificatiion of both the Uberti spring and the Miroku spring.

Unless you plan on using the gun in very serious SASS competition you really do not need a short stroke kit.  Also, SS kits are not legal for NCOWS.

If you are not comfortable doing your own work, I would recommend PGW, Longhunter, Lassiter or Cody Conagher.  You can Goggle these folks for more info.  Cody's approach to short stroking is different in that he modifies the factory parts instead of installing all new ones.   You might ask around your area to see if there are some good cowboy gunsmiths available locally.

The Miroku '73's are quite useable right out of the box, but there is no comparison to a really slicked up version if you want to use it for CAS competition.

TR
Tommy Reb

Offline Rick53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 03:13:20 PM »
Hello Rick53.  Of the PGW's parts, only the firing pin extension is what would most likely be a "drop in".  The short stroke kit and carrier most definitely requires fitting to your gun.  It's not hard, but you do need to understand the timing of a '73 to get it right.  There are no aftermarket light springs that I am aware of so that means modifying the factory springs.  Again, not hard, but some previous experience is desireable.  If you go too far, replacement parts can be a problem.  I install the lever safety spring that PGW's sells for the Uberti, but that requires modificatiion of both the Uberti spring and the Miroku spring.

Unless you plan on using the gun in very serious SASS competition you really do not need a short stroke kit.  Also, SS kits are not legal for NCOWS.

If you are not comfortable doing your own work, I would recommend PGW, Longhunter, Lassiter or Cody Conagher.  You can Goggle these folks for more info.  Cody's approach to short stroking is different in that he modifies the factory parts instead of installing all new ones.   You might ask around your area to see if there are some good cowboy gunsmiths available locally.

The Miroku '73's are quite useable right out of the box, but there is no comparison to a really slicked up version if you want to use it for CAS competition.

TR
I looked at the Parts you mentioned at PGW's. They told me they could redo my rifle inside of a week. But I read an article taht said Short Stroking actally makes things stiffer. It's hard to know what to do:

Offline Tommy Reb

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 08:50:03 AM »
"I looked at the Parts you mentioned at PGW's. They told me they could redo my rifle inside of a week. But I read an article taht said Short Stroking actally makes things stiffer. It's hard to know what to do:"

Hello Rick.  If you short stroke a rifle and make no other changes it will require more lever effort, that is, it will feel stiffer.  Physics says work = force X distance, so if you reduce the distance by short stroking to do the same amount of work, the force must increase so the action feels stiffer.  But, when action smoothing and spring rate reductions are done along with short stroking, the required work is reduced by reducting friction and spring force so the end result is a very smooth, low effort and short lever throw.

If you end up choosing PGW, you will not be dissappointed with the results and I say that based on a lot of experience with PGW.

TR
Tommy Reb

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 10:40:28 PM »
Are these Miroku's one of the 250 24" sporting rifles introduced in the 2014 shot show? I can't tell if they're round or octagon barrels? Gorgeous rifles non the less.
“Fiery men are soon put out.”

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 11:14:02 PM »
Ok. I can see its a 20" barrel. I like the color case receiver. I bet it shoots well for you. :)
“Fiery men are soon put out.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com