Author Topic: Finally Ordered a Lee Shaver Soule & Globe Now Where to get Bullets  (Read 8144 times)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
As the subject states I finally decided what sights to buy for my Armi Sports Sharps.  I have vacillated between Kelley (Absolutely Beautiful), MVA (popular choice for best in class) Red River (Ukraine needs the money) and the Lee Shaver Economy sight (Many think a really good sight at a bargain price).  The first 3 would have cost more than the rifle, and was not sure the Economy was the right way to go.  A visit to the Lee Shaver Gunsmith site provided a compromise offering his super grade sight.  A sight that did not cost more than the rifle and should be of higher quality than his standard sight.  I ordered this sight and a front globe with level.  I could not resist and bought the Silhouette inset card as well.  Cannot wait to see the new sights.  I now have some Olde Eynsford powder to compare against Shuetzen

Once I have sight in hand can compare with the parts unknown Soule Sight that was mounted on my Navy Arms (Pedersoli) Remington rolling block with an octagonal semi truck axel for a barrel.  I suspect it is a Pedersoli sight but there are not any markings.

With the demise of Montana Bullet Company, I am now at a loss for what to do about bullets.  I was working on loads using their 881 SAECO 500 gr RN and the SAECO 645 480 gr semi point.  Given my rifle is supposed to have a 1 in 22 twist (cleaning rod estimated closer to 1 in 20) I did not want to venture into the heavier and longer 525 - 550 grain range bullets.  I stopped working on loads about a year ago thinking part of my bad groups may have been 60+ YO eyes and not the best in the world to see factory notch and blade sights .

The Navy Arms Rolling Block had a very heavy trigger pull.   A couple of weeks back I sent the action pieces minus pins and ejector to Lee to do his trigger magic on.  Will report on that difference as well.

My goal is to have sub 2 min groups at 300 prior to Winter Range.  Too old and slow to do more than have fun in the CAS matches, but can be some what competitive in the long range events where hits weigh more heavily than time.

Can any of you point me in the direction of a source for the two bullets mentioned, and or recommend a 500 grain or less bullet that might be a better choice.  Actually if someone knows of a heavier bullet that will stabilize in my relatively slow twist barrel, I am open to suggestions.

About the only suggestion I won't entertain is to start casting.  Have a serious space issue, she who must be obeyed thinks I am at the for every cubic inch of new stuff I acquire I must rid myself of 1 to 2 cubic inches of older stuff.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Finally Ordered a Lee Shaver Soule & Globe Now Where to get Bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:39:23 PM »
What caliber? I assume 45-70, but makes no difference. Check out www.buffaloarms.com. They have a bunch of them tagged "ample stock", pre-lubed and un-lubed. Good luck.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 10:30:46 PM »
www.bigskycastbullets.com
John will fix you right up with those Saeco's, and he also does some "money" bullets.
 His lube is top drawer also.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Advertising

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »
Thanks Ranch13.  Sent him an email asking about the two Saecos. 
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 10:52:45 PM »
Talked to John at Big Sky Cast bullets, he is recommending on of the Money Bullets for the rifle.  Have ordered 100 to use in head to head test against the Montana Bullet 645 and 881 saecos.  The rifles (Sharps and Roller) will tell me what they like best.

Order in Check in Mail
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »
Bullets arrived, now to load and test
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »
Finally got to the range to test starting load with varget and 415 LRNFP bullets.  Goal 1 was accomplished got sights to where I could hit paper at 100 yards.  Accuracy of starting load of varget not good.  6-7 inch vertical stringing and 1.5 inches wide group.  Lots of unburned powder in bore.  Guessing inconsistent ignition.

As I recall from working on Krag cast loads Varget likes loads closer to max.  With the Krag 5744 grouped best close to starting loads, next go around I will have many more loads to try with hotter varget and some 5744 loads as well. 

Who knows I may even try some Black and test Shuetzen vs Olde Eynsford
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 03:21:37 PM »
I would suggest using swiss 1 1/2. Nearly all the top shooters I've been around use it, and with real black
you don't have to worry about pressure issues.  My Shiloh 45/90 load will shoot 1 1/2 moa when I shoot well.
2 moa is a good goal, but you will have to really fine tune things to get there. Good luck and be safe

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 12:09:53 AM »
Got to range shot varget on high end of trap door range. Would stay in 10 ring of 100 yd nra target. Both the sharps and rolling bock shot OK no sub moa but OK.  When I tried 200 yards not so moch about a 6 x8 spread. I will change out front sight insertnext time. Shoot the std ring one
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com