Author Topic: Cabela's Pietta 44 magnum w 1860 Army grip  (Read 3665 times)

Offline TinMan2

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cabela's Pietta 44 magnum w 1860 Army grip
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:40:04 PM »
I've been shooting single actions for over 4 decades.   So I went to the local Cabelas because they had a $100 off retail sale on Pietta single actions. Anyway, The pickings were slim and there were several .357 and .45LC in 5.5 and 4.75 nickeled(very poor chrome jobs)for $349 and the matte black with unpolished brass grip frame for $299.  There was also a short barreled single action with great CC and 1860 Army grip frame w/super oil finished walnut stock, really beautiful.  Grip frame is exactly like the GF on my 1860 Armys but the walnut stock is far superior.  The fit and finish was superb, great color case and high polish blue, had to buy it.  It was in .44 magnum.  How strong are these new Pietta's?   I put this gun side by side with the other Pietta offerings and the frames are identical except for the beautiful finish of the .44.  Have any of you folks fired these in 44 magnum?  The 1860 grip is nice and fits my size hand perfectly, better than the grip of my old Super Blackhawk.  Can't wait to shoot it.  I'll probably shoot 44 special loadings in 44 mag cases.  Anyone else buy or shoot a Cabelas Pietta?   I think a great buy for under $350........Mike

Offline Trueno

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Cabela's Pietta 44 magnum w 1860 Army grip
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 10:02:50 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you got a great deal, wish we had a Cabela's, only Gander and Academy around here.

t
Tell the truth, it's easier to remember.

Offline TinMan2

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 04:17:55 PM »
Thanks Trueno.  Cabelas has a great inventory and is extremely gun friendly.  I was unaware they had gotten these Pietta single actions in 44 mag with the 1860 army grips.  The fit and finish plus the timing is way above what I've seen before form Pietta, Uberti or even Colt.  What a nice revolver for an outstanding price.  Mine will see few jacketed bullets if any.  I'll use this gun as a 44 special mid range cast bullet shooter.  Might even shoot some BP through it.  I have a 10mm for my heavy jacketed hunting loads.  Shoot safe................Mike

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:34:48 AM »

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
I got my wife a pair of .357s a couple of years ago, for $3oo each. I put spring kits in them and polished them, and they they
really work slick. I shot bp sub in them, and cleaned them the way I always do, and a couple weeks later they were rusting
around the cylinders. These are the matte finish, in my opinion very poor finish. I got a bottle of rust blue and am planning
on stripping and refinishing (one) first.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline TinMan2

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 10:25:27 PM »
[quote  I shot bp sub in them, and cleaned them the way I always do, and a couple weeks later they were rusting
around the cylinders.[/quote]

I shoot alot of Black Powder and I've shot Pyrodex too.  The Pyro is extremely tough to neutralize and seems to be more corrosive than genuine BP.  Hot soapy water works instantly to kill the corrosive salts from Black powder.  I get no rust on my Remingtons.  I use grease to lube my BP guns after cleaning, oil on BP fired guns is really not good, IMO.  I do not use Pyrodex anymore as it is too hard to clean up and I don't want to lose a gun to corrosion.  The Matte finish on the Pietta single action is actually a pretty good parkerization.  The BP substitute you used was the real culprit, IMO.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com