Author Topic: New knife, clean or not?  (Read 5299 times)

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
New knife, clean or not?
« on: August 18, 2014, 09:28:08 AM »
OK, Pards & Pardettes, All, just for the sake of discussion only...
Saturday a bunch of us oldsters got together for coffee and the topic of knives came up, especially pocket knives with multiple blades that are used for multiple things, such as cutting an apple for lunch. One Pard said the blades should all be cleaned as soon as you get it so you don't ingest any factory or shop preservatives that might make you sick. Another said just wipe it on your shirt sleeve and cut the dang apple!  The cadre thought that the worst culprit might be the Swiss Army type as it had so many small gizmos to catch oils and suchlike and that it should be cleaned with a solution like Moosemilk, Ballistol and water, so it could be used to cut the said apple.
I dunno, the more they bantied it around, the more confused I got so i thought I'd ask the pros here. What say you?
Hoping for some interesting replies.Best regards and good cutting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New knife, clean or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
If the knife in question's carried in the pocket, it'll pick up all manner of pocket detritus.

More, if the blade hasn't been cleaned off after use in cutting foodstuffs or through any sort of 'substance' like packing tape.

Clean the thing periodically, inside and out - and get all the pocket lint and bits out of the insides before putting a small drop of oil on the hinges and on the springs - a slightly oiled Q-Tip works well for this.

Any factory oil or 3-in-One oil isn't going to kill anyone, so maintain the knife as you would your weapon, keep it sharp and cut the apple.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 11:13:28 AM »
If'n' I was a drink'n' man, then ...in any Tennessee sipp'n' whiskey, Kentucky bourbon, or shine would be fine...
Then you could "Cut the Cheese" , with no cares or ill effects   :)

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:08:27 PM »

Offline Hambone Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »
What have men become in this world. Has the mommyfication finally won out. 
Worry about a fraction of a drop of oil getting on the food during the first cut?
Just stab the blade into the ground or take the apple slice and wipe it on your pant leg...there no more oil.
I do declare.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »
I seem to recall a period account where a belt knife was used to dress an animal, wiped off, later used to cut up dinner.  Individual(s) in the camp died due to a blood pathogen.   I usually rinse and wipe.  But I was the 8 year old with dysentery.  One summer got sick as a dog after vacation.  Had to be put in hospital on fluids because they were leaving as fast as they put them in.   Found out I had amebic dysentery.   Doctor asked if I  had drank from a pond/puddle, etc.  Nope ust my scout canteen.  It had been filled and left in the garage during a Midwest summer before we left for two weeks at Grandma's.   Came home and drank the slightly funny tasting water.    Mom instituted canteen check out rules after that.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 11:56:10 AM »
I generally wipe the blade and don't worry about it unless I've been dressing game, then I wash the knife in soap and water.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 11:59:02 AM »
What have men become in this world. Has the mommyfication finally won out. 
Worry about a fraction of a drop of oil getting on the food during the first cut?
Just stab the blade into the ground or take the apple slice and wipe it on your pant leg...there no more oil.
I do declare.

Kinda what I was thinking. If I'd cut something I didn't want to out in my mouth I like the whiskey rinse idea.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »
Good old Hot water works just fine.
I prefer to save the whiskey for the mouth rinse idea.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com