Author Topic: N-SSA Post Regarding Reproduction Spencer Rifles and Approval Requirements  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Hello SSS Members and N-SSA Spencer Owners

Just a note of caution: The Armi Sport reproduction Spencer Rifle is NOT approved for use in the N-SSA's competitive matches. There are some dimensional issues that, to the best of my knowledge, have not yet been corrected by the manufacturer. If anyone cares purchase one they can make the corrections themselves (the standard N-SSA +/- tolerances will apply), and then submit it to the SAC for an individual approval.

The required corrections, as of 2010, are as follows:

1 - Move the bottom barrel band back towards the receiver one inch.
 2 - Move the middle barrel band back towards the receiver one inch.
 3 - Move the front sight back towards the receiver one-half inch.

Regarding original Spencers:  The Small arms Committee will allow both the 1860 and the 1865 Spencer Rifle. The M-1865 Rifle is considered to be a reasonable replica of the 1860. The decision to allow the Rifle in .56-50 was made long before my involvement.

John Holland, SAC
Moderator Team:
44th NY Volunteer Infantry
Member 00973V

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Two Flints,

Just a suggestion...
Setting the barrel bands to the correct position is not all that difficult.
Re positioning the barrel band spring to hold the bands will require more thought and care. This is partly due to the fact that the band springs will be going back in part of the original spring inletting.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Hi Blair,

Every once in a while I get an Email asking me if the reproduction Spencer Rifle can be used for reenacting.  While visiting the N-SSA web site, John Holland posted the current changes that were needed for the reproduction Spencer Rifles to be accepted at N-SSA meets . . . so I thought it would be a good information to post again.

Thanks for your post and suggestions.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Two Flints,

The N-SSA specs are based off of the original firearms.
It only matters to those that want or expect historical authenticity within the firearms they own and of course organizations like the N-SSA that require it for their competition.
My best,
 Blair

A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Sean Thornton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Bentonville, NC 2010
    • The Henry Repeating Rifle
  • Liked:
Hi Blair,

Every once in a while I get an Email asking me if the reproduction Spencer Rifle can be used for reenacting.  While visiting the N-SSA web site, John Holland posted the  current changes that were needed for the reproduction Spencer Rifles to be accepted at N-SSA meets . . . so I thought it would be a good information to post again.

Thanks for your post and suggestions.

Two Flints
When you ask, can a reproduction Spencer Rifle be used for reenacting, the answer is yes. In fact it can be used just the way it is made at the factory. However if you are talking about N-SSA competition then the answer is no.  Nothing you can do to the reproduction will make it an original, it will always be a reproduction. It is all about what level of non-authentic levels an organization is going to accept. The mods the N-SSA want are so minor and not really making much of a difference and do not make the repro Spencer Rifle any more authentic. The Civil War reenacting community is a little more understanding. The bottom line is that in a historic hobby such as Civil War Reenacting or the N-SSA can never be authentic but it is what level of non-authenticity they are willing to accept. So while it is ok to use the wrong caliber it is not ok to have the front sight a half of an inch off, interesting.
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com