Author Topic: What's up with this hat?  (Read 22697 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's up with this hat?
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2014, 08:23:40 AM »
That keeps the employees on their toes. We got a slow, easy drizzle going now.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2014, 12:36:41 PM »
I have been following along here with some interest.  I have worn a head covering of some sort or another pretty much all the time since I was about seven; got into Cub Scouts and baseball about then, and almost all of my vocations and avocations have called for some sort of head wear.  I have always been a maverick as regards fashion and being in the "in" crowd, so in jr. high and high school, I wore a couple of fedora style hats, both were of the common style that older men wore at the time, pinched front crown and a three inch brim; one was a nice grey wool or fur, and the other was a bright red corduroy.  I have always had one of that style in my collection, today's version is a "Crusher" with a mesh side crown - actually, two of them; they ride around in the tool box of my truck.  My common daily is a ball cap, though.  It helped to keep my hair under control - when I still had hair to keep; and it doesn't have a brim to get in the way when I am driving; I was always knocking my hats cockeyed in the truck or car from bumping into the window when I turned my head, or in later years, the head rests caused me to have to lean forward more than I like.  My CAS haberdashery consists of a Stetson in "silverbay" with a seven or eight inch open crown and a four inch brim, a planter style panama straw with a six inch brim, and a black felt with a four inch brim and a crown that mostly resembles a pinch because it has been knocked out and re-formed so many times.  The other "hat" in my life, and the one I probably put in more hours wearing was a white "plastic" hard hat or cap; still have one out in the garage.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2014, 01:08:26 PM »
I have several of those "hard hats" from construction days. I have been follicolly challenged since I was 26, and I have a ruddy complexion from my Scottish heritage. My Cherokee helps to keep me from sunburn. I always wear a hat or cap when I am outside.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 03:31:16 AM »

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »
Wore a lot of hard hats over he years. Never liked em much but did see one save a man's life once, so would wear it when at risk from falling stuff. Was operating a road construction machine with no cab or ROPS one time & the safety man stopped & gave me a new hard hat. Asked if the sky was falling. He didn't see he humor & told me to wear it. Soon as he was out of sight I flung it in the road ditch. Next time he came by I got a new one.  Told him the wind blew it off & I didn't want to stop work to chase it. Took four of em before he said if I "lost" another on I'd be looking for a new job.  That one lasted till I got in a machine with a roof.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2014, 03:38:47 PM »
Worst hard hat/safety helmet accident I remember was on the flight deck an Aircraft Carrier.
A Yellow Shirt pulled out a twine engine F4 fighter, headed for the catapults.
The Engine exhaust blew the Plain Captain of a propeller driven aircraft off his feet, and into the prop of the aircraft the Plain Captain was reading for launch.
It cut both of his feet off!
A friend of mine was standing next to me with all his flight deck safety gear on, and was hit in the head with the steel toed boot of the Plain Captain.
The hit, knocked him out!
As he was coming back to consciousness, he rightfully wanted to know what had happened. I pointed to the boot... the foot was still in it, and he passed out again.
 Blair

A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
My story's not as graphic, but also happened aboard a Navy ship.  We were in a ship yard finishing up an overhaul so hard hats were required. I complained that mine cause me to repeated run into overhead obsticles that could have seen & avoided with a bare head. Then a 3/4 X 3" bolt fell from somewhere high above the lower level engine room & knocked my buddy to the deck. His hard hat was split in half & he cut his chin on the deck, bu not even a bump on top of his head. Those of us who witnessed it agreed that hat saved his life.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2014, 08:12:04 PM »
https://hatcrafters.com/Shovel

I like it. You could keep things like cigars, newspapers, or sausages in there and they'd never get bucked off.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »
Actually, the only hat I now wear on a really regular basis is a Fulmer motorcycle helmet, 3/4 type with flip up face shield. Lot of folks I know make a big deal about helmet laws, but even when I was riding in no helmet law states, I tried it once for about 10 miles and just didn't like it!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »
The Pickelhaube dates to the 1840's in Prussia and was used by the United States for dress uniforms in the later 19th Century. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2014, 03:22:52 PM »
A version of the Pickelhaube for the Prussian's actually dates back to the battle of Waterloo. For those Units that participated in that battle will have the Waterloo banner/ribbon displayed on the front Prussian style face plate, into the Twentieth Century.
The US will employ a felt, either wool or fur felt depending on its usage during the last half of the 19th Century. Early within that time period they are flat topped and called Shakoes. Later in that Century they are called Pith Helmets

The well known Imperial German style Pickelhaulb will be made of leather, rough or flesh side out. covered in black Lacquer to the point that the rough out leather took on a shine and gloss like polished and painted steel. 
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2014, 07:06:21 AM »
My old man had a bamboo hardhat- from a project his employer had in china maybe late 80's early 90's . It was as hard as any standard hardhat we are all use to.

I haven't rode a horse now in some years, don't get to matches much these days. So the hats take up room and collect dust. Ball cap if'n i plan on being in sun all day.

Those Taco brims are also popular with the Mexicans, it allows for more of them on the seat in a pick up truck
Mathew 5.9

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2014, 07:49:39 AM »
Took a bad spot off Goosefoot's head not long ago. Now they're gonna be whittlin' on one 'is ears pret soon.

Just sayin'.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2014, 08:37:38 AM »
Took a bad spot off Goosefoot's head not long ago. Now they're gonna be whittlin' on one 'is ears pret soon.

Just sayin'.

Had a couple off my face this past year.
Mathew 5.9

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2014, 12:10:17 AM »
Hi,

I used to be a medic in the Air Farce (spelling intended).

Another medic learned my Schedule and arranged all his leave so that I covered his Surgeon as he whittled ears and noses and necks of the retired. I swore then and there that I would not sit in his chair. And that is most of the reason I wear this hat:

TTFN,

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2014, 11:24:11 AM »
If any watch The River City Rodeo in Omaha (it's on TV) this weekend, I did both hats for the rodeo queen yesterday.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com