Author Topic: Firing the LeMat revolver  (Read 8447 times)

Offline Bottom Dealin Mike

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Firing the LeMat revolver
« on: August 09, 2014, 08:06:56 AM »
Here's the full video on the LeMat cap & ball revolver. This is the nineteenth century version of the Taurus Judge. Lots of shotgun barrel shooting in this one

Offline Thumb Buster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Firing the LeMat revolver
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:37:03 AM »
Thanks for the video Mike.  That is interesting to see.  Seen them but never saw one fired.  Think I'll stick to my '51's and '60's.   
"Those who pound their guns into plowshears will plow for those who didn't"  --Thomas Jefferson

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 01:26:31 PM »
Ho Mike

Thanks for an interesting Vid,

Thats the first time I have seen a LeMat shot, I was quite surprised ya got all the way round!!

Luv the 20g too!!

But!! Like Thumb Buster... `reckon I`ll stick to my beloved 1860`s!!

Paladin (What lurvs the HB  :D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:38:32 AM »

Offline Bottom Dealin Mike

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 05:07:51 PM »
In my opinion, any confederate soldier who actually shot one of these in combat would have started looking for an 1860 on the battlefield immediately.. ;D

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 07:08:33 PM »
When Val Forgett first got Pietta to do these it was about 1983-4 as I recall, Navy Arms offered a $100 per gun pre-introductory subscription , and $250 when shipped.
I ordered one and my friend ordered one both Cavalry models, it was about a year, and we were told they were ready to ship.
My friend was a bit short, so I paid the $500 and got both.
That's right they were $350 each....beautiful guns but ....

You just about disjoint your thumb cocking them, both because of the odd angle & the stiff spring.
 The Rammer is a pain as Mike observed.  I lost the Shotgun ramrod the first time I shot one of the guns...never did find it. I wound up making one...
Very well made, and quite unique, but I sold one at Gettysburg 125th, and traded the other for NIB Second Gen. 1860 Army.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 04:47:02 PM »
Thanks for the video, Mike. The LeMat certainly is unique. I appreciate the fact that you deal fairly with the strengths and weaknesses in your evaluation. Your videos and written articles are always interesting and informative. Please keep cranking them out!!
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Truly Grits

• Very Active Citizen
  • THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 11:09:59 PM »
Thanks muchly Mike. As someone who collects things, 'south','cowboy', and of course Holy Black. I just had to have one, to go with my Colt Walker, at the very least. Great video, as you always do, I learned a lot. Yes, I will stick to my 1860 armies for CAS shooting, but yet it's still fun to have one and now I have truly lived and understand the real history behind this, just so much better. Cheers.
A wise person once said ...
There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it.
You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good.
So love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't.
Life is too short to be anything but happy.
Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living. Cheers!

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 05:47:04 PM »
Just because I shoot Gun Fighter, I have to imagine what a soldier might have done with a brace of LeMatt revolvers in close combat?  It certainly has a fearsome presence with 18 rounds of .44 and Two buck and ball 20 gauge.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 06:36:33 PM »
Close... But no cigar. Le Mat revolvers were .42 not .44.

Not that it matters much.  ::)

But I just had to say it.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 06:50:02 PM »
They were big,ugly and French.  I have never seen anything that says the French used the LeMat pistols in actual combat.  Anyway, the Henry repeater made more sense to me.  Abe Lincoln thought so also. . .

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 02:36:59 AM »
If I was a man of unlimited means and not a man of such miserable means, I would buy a pair and prepare Warthog loads and shoot them Gunfighter just for the spectacle of it all!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 12:36:31 PM »
If I was a man of unlimited means and not a man of such miserable means, I would buy a pair and prepare Warthog loads and shoot them Gunfighter just for the spectacle of it all!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Did you watch the video? One would look silly shooting Gunfighter if (when) the loading levers fall down.  ;D

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 03:49:16 PM »
They were big,ugly and French.  I have never seen anything that says the French used the LeMat pistols in actual combat.  Anyway, the Henry repeater made more sense to me.  Abe Lincoln thought so also. . .

DD-MDA

DD, The French did not engineer the LaMatt.  It was the brain child of a New Orleans dentist who was the brother-in-law to Gen. P.T. Beauregard.  The French made them for the South, but never used them in their Army.

BDMike, I like the way the SG barrel littered the field with the tow.  I used a large cotton ball in my Russian Steel Hulls once.  It fired out a cloud of "Feathers" when I touched it off.  I also tried a wad of cat hair I collected from my cats when I was tasked to brush them to help with their shedding.  That just sent a wad down range following the shot.

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 09:50:33 PM »
DD, The French did not engineer the LaMatt.  It was the brain child of a New Orleans dentist who was the brother-in-law to Gen. P.T. Beauregard.  The French made them for the South, but never used them in their Army.

BDMike, I like the way the SG barrel littered the field with the tow.  I used a large cotton ball in my Russia Steel Hulls once.  It fired out a cloud of "Feathers" when I touched it off.  I also tried a wad of cat hair I collected from my cats when I was tasked to brush them to help with their shedding.  That just sent a wad down range following the shot.

I once saw a YouTube video of a SASS shooter shooting Gunfighter with Walker Colt clones. He gave each gun a flick of the wrist to get the load levers up as he cocked the guns, it was pretty impressive.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 06:57:20 PM »
I hesitate to de-rail this thread.  But I have a Uberti Walker Colt on which I did a little filing of the latch system, and I do not get lever drop unless I want it.  I'll photograph it and post it if anyone is interested.  I'll create a new thread...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com