Author Topic: What Was Your Favorite 50s?60s Western TV Show  (Read 18162 times)

Offline Slowhand53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What Was Your Favorite 50s?60s Western TV Show
« on: August 08, 2014, 06:45:46 PM »
Even being 7 years old in 1960 Westerns on TV were favorites of mine and there were plenty. Gunsmoke, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Bonanza, Sugerfoot, Yancy Derringer, Paladin, Maverick, The Virginian, Rawhide, Trackdown, Etc. Have a favorite, let us know. Just got the box set of Wanted Dead Or Alive on Ebay for under $20.00. And thats all 94 episodes so it will take me a while to get through that. :)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: What Was Your Favorite 50s?60s Western TV Show
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 07:12:58 PM »
I think the one I watched the most was Wagon Train ...then Bonanza & Rawhide ..like HGWT & Maverick though.

I also liked Rin Tin Tin
when planets align...do the deal !

Silent Joe

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 12:42:16 PM »
The first Western I saw was High Noon. I think it was in 1959. A great movie.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:33:11 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »
I was a huge fan of The Rifleman when I was a little feller.  I'm afraid that I watched Wild Wild West a lot too a little later.  Even later, it was a of Bonanza.

Now I own discs of some of The Rifleman and the complete Wanted Dead or Alive, which I like a lot.  I've also been getting Gunsmoke from the library, watching them in order.  I'm still in season two, but I'm pretty impressed with the quality.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 02:50:53 PM »
Gunsmoke was one of my all time favorites. I enjoyed The High Chapparal, The Virginian/Men From Shiloh, Cimarron Strip ( I have these two on DVD).

Offline Slowhand53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 03:59:44 PM »
I was a huge fan of The Rifleman when I was a little feller.  I'm afraid that I watched Wild Wild West a lot too a little later.  Even later, it was a of Bonanza.

Now I own discs of some of The Rifleman and the complete Wanted Dead or Alive, which I like a lot.  I've also been getting Gunsmoke from the library, watching them in order.  I'm still in season two, but I'm pretty impressed with the quality.

Check out youtube and put The Rifleman in the search. Plenty of full episodes there.

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 04:44:14 PM »
The Lone Ranger, Rin Tin Tin, and as I got older Gunsmoke.  Gunsmoke is still my favorite
Shawnee
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 06:53:58 PM »
Trackdown and The Rebel.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 07:04:56 PM »
I especially liked "Yancey Derringer."  Technically, it was a "southern," taking place in New Orleans during Reconstruction, but close enough. One thing I liked about it was that the hero, played by legendary stuntman Jock Mahoney, used a knife as often as a gun. Also, his motivations were often prosaic instead of heroic. For instance, he was part-owner of a riverboat, and sometimes had to raise money for its insurance. Likewise, he'd inherited a plantation and had to pay the land taxes or lose it. And he wore spiffy clothes.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 06:41:26 PM »
Good Grief-the western TV shows proliferated the three networks back in the 50's and early 60's like all those worthless talent, reality, and game shows do now (don't watch even one of those). Some time back I typed in 'early western TV shows' or something to that effect and everyone that ever aired was there with a Wikipedia listing. Was fun to recall some of them that I forgot about and sat for several hours reading the take on a lot of them. As far as my favorite it was probably Matt Dillon and crew of Gunsmoke, but I tried never to miss Paladin or the Rifleman. Saturday nights was always to have our baths taken before Gunsmoke and Paladin came on, of course we had to suffer through the Lawrence Welk Show before hand. (Good grief-now I watch a little of Lawrence and the boys in the band on PBS once in a while.) Another one that still has a flashback from time to time is Jim Bowie. Still can reply the start of the show with the 'Big Bowie' knife being thrown into a wooden door and can recall the melody and words of the opening song. It wasn't a true 1800 era western, but Saturday mornings always had 'Fury' on when I was a wee one. So many, wish they still would still have a few on the tube, but of course they would have to be politically correct and would have to involve steamy sins that are culled from Sodom and Gomorrah. Enjoy buying DVD's of some of the 'oldies, but goodies', my kids and now even my grandkids sit and watch em', they enjoy them. Better for them than the offering available now.   
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 03:18:54 AM »
In 1953, when we got our first TV,  program selection was slim. We only had CBS and NBC, we didn't get ABC until 1961. We always watched Gunsmoke because it was my Dad's favorite show. There were a bunch of Western TV shows, too many to mention.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 06:43:16 AM »
26 Men, Trackdown and Gunsmoke. Great shows.
Reno

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 09:48:14 PM »
Not to high-jack this topic, but in reference to 50's era tv shows, how many of you watched "Pinky Lee" and Buffalo Bob Smith a/k/a 'The Howdy Dowdy Show?  "Hey Kids, what Time Is It"----"It's Howdy Dowdy Time"!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Please forgive for the non-western theme, but Buffalo Bob did wear buckskins and Howdy Dowdy wore a B-Western attire! ;D ;D ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 07:36:30 AM »
I have watched all the ones stated already. But another one I watched just for the comedy was F Troup.
Always knew I was born 100 yrs too late.

New Britain, CT

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 02:07:14 PM »
Watched lots of Maverick and Cisco Kid.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 05:47:43 AM »
Kinda funny what you remember.... I recall Bonanza was a big deal to me

first it was in Color ( we didn't have color set & just one B&W ) I suppose it was couple years later we got one it was quite something in my mind to have one in our home.  I remember I had seen the shows the first season, first aired in Sept. 1959 on Saturdays nights in B&W.

I believe the 3rd season was moved to Sunday night  9:00–10:00 PM air time
What I recall is ,  that first Sunday , anticipation all day that We'd see Bonanza in our home in living color.

at the time were very few shows in color
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 08:03:58 AM »
Gunsmoke...without a doubt for me!
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 03:35:55 PM »
All theTV westerns were good. When we we very young my brother and I were not allowed to watch Rawhide, it was on too late on a Sunday night! Wagon train, The Lone Ranger, Champion the Wonder Horse, the Range Rider, Bonanza, Maverick, Bronco, Tenderfoot and Temple Houston were all good. Even when I was a kid I could see that a strong Christian element was creeping into some shows. Bonanza and Wagon Train especially come to mind. Nothing wrong in having a faith but not in a western. Two others come to mind though and I wonder does anyone else remember them.........Frontier and the other was Boots and Saddles. Frontier seemed haves lot of guys seeking water across the desert. It's a long time ago. Boots and Saddles was gritty B&W and must have been heavily influenced by John Ford. The old scout was called Luke.

Offline Hambone Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 10:22:01 AM »
Rifleman, Wanted Dead or Live

Offline Dan Gerous

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 03:40:29 PM »
I'll put in a vote for The Rebel and Wanted: Dead or Alive. One Christmas my folks hit every store in Omaha to find me a "Mare's Laig".
Of course on me it hung to the floor McQueen must've been a big guy! You have to add in the early "Wagon Train". Flint McCullough was my hero! I saw him at the Ak-Sar-Ben national rodeo at Omaha in 1964. Three years ago, my Mother entersed a nursing home. While cleaning out the house, I found that 1964 program with Robert Horton on the front. I reminisced a few minutes then threw it out and went back to work. Two weeks later, guess who was in Des Moines. ROBERT HORTON! I wish I had kept that program and had him sign it!
All growed up and still playin' Cowboy!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com