Author Topic: Finally got another 'Proper' 1875  (Read 3995 times)

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Finally got another 'Proper' 1875
« on: September 07, 2016, 12:25:16 PM »
Took a lot of lookin' and patience, but I finally got a second Replica Arms 1875 with the original style of cylinder pin latch. This one is in .357 where my other is a .45, but I plan to make it a .44 down the road. Here's a link to the auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/579980397

Already have an older 44/40 barrel and a lanyard ring, just got to see if I can fit the ring around the serial number. Does anyone know if your serial is 002XX, can you drill thru the '00' without consequence, or are leading zeros out of bounds to alter like the actual numbers are? May need to ask the ATF. Not sure if I'll try to find an old 44/40 cylinder or if I can get the .357 cylinder bored out to .44 special, sort of a modern .44 Remmie. ;D

Oh well, another project to add to the list.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Finally got another 'Proper' 1875
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 01:14:04 PM »
I haven't been in "The Book" in several years.  When I still had my FFL, Removing or Altering the numbers in ANY way was a major NO NO.  Understanding, as long as you plan on owning it forever, and I do mean FOREVER, you can do anything you want.  Understanding, not even your decedents will be able to legally sell or transfer it in any way.  Short answer is NO, you cannot drill through the zeros.

Coffinmaker

PS:  Since I held an FFL, the laws have only gotten more stringent.  The BATFE does not have a sense of humor.  They also, DO NOT take prisoners.  They (BATFE) are not, regardless of popular belief, there to "help" you.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 01:40:23 PM »
The "00's" ARE part of the serial #. Don't do it. No how, no way.

According to research done in an old thread here on the Forum years ago it was estimated that Uberti switched over to their current (and incorrect) cylinder pin release circa. serial # 1,000.

If I wanted to make it a .44 I would have the cylinder bored out to proper specs, BUT only after I had someone ream out the bore & re-rifle to proper specs. I guess you could always drill it out & reline as well as few 'smiths re-rifle anymore it seems. You also need a steel TG to be authentic as well, but that should be no problem. Also, the frame needs to be blue & not CC.

Good find.  ;)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:28:35 AM »

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 02:01:36 PM »
Coffinmaker and Fox Creek, I was afraid that would be the consensus on the '00' but figured I'd ask anyway. Already have a steel triggerguard on B/O at VTI, so that shouldn't be a problem. I agree on the blued frame, but that's down the road till after I get it up and running as a 44.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1198
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 05:38:51 PM »
Couldn't you just drill right below the first 0, that is still pretty darn close to the center of the butt.

Good find!

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 07:29:17 AM »
Abilene, not sure, I'll need to get it in hand and take some measurements before I can be.

Fox Creek, I remember Long John's fun with his own and can only hope mine will turn out half as well.

I'll see if I can get some pics up of the .45 later today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com