Author Topic: 1876 build project  (Read 13326 times)

Offline High Plains Drifter

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1876 build project
« on: August 06, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »
Hello all. This is my first post. The 76 is by far my favorite lever gun. At the moment the only thing I have with a lever is my grandfathers 30-30 marlin. But ive wanted a 76 since I saw Tom Horn. For a long time ive tried to find one but I cant afford a good original. Ive built a few modern rifles before and i turn 22 next month so I figured id get myself a early birthday present. I bought a 76 frame mfg 1884 chambered in 45 60 with a round barrel. I know it will cost more and take more time but id like to use as many original parts as possible. The most important parts id like to get are original stocks lever side plates and barrel. If anyone would have any advise or knowledge to share with me it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all. Im really looking forward to this project.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: 1876 build project
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:48:20 AM »
That sounds like a very worthy project. You are right about costing more and taking longer but should be well worth the time and money. Plus you bring one back FROM THE DEAD ! The original 1876 Winchesters are getting scarce. Keep an eye on Ebay for 76 parts ,they come up every once in a while. Never cheap but what is now days?A lot of good folk here that know thier business on the Model 1876 Winchester.Check out Winchester Charlies 76 build ,man that came out nice!Keep us posted on your progress,and any questions that may come up. I will try to help you if I can and am sure many others here feel the same . Welcome and Good Luck on your 76 Win. build. ,,,,DT.

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 03:49:40 PM »
Well guys I got her in today. im really excited. It will be a real honor to bring her back from the dead. Ill post pictures shortly.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:09:40 AM »

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 03:59:51 PM »
sorry my camera hasn't been the greatest lately.

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 07:14:05 PM »
High Plains you got the start of a grand project and you are in the  best place in the world for anything on the 1876 Winchester!  Folks on this site are the best!  Looking forward to reports as the project progresses.

PB

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 07:43:48 PM »
One question I do have as far as some of the internals like the toggle links and other parts. If I cant get my hands on originals is there anyone that makes correct ones like the originals?

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:36:41 AM »
WWW.winchesterbob.com  is showing that they are out. You may give them a call . ,,,,,DT

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 07:14:32 AM »
Try Homestead Parts (www.homesteadparts.com).  They have some original as well as new manufacture parts.

For stocks try Macon Gunstocks (www.macongunstocks.com)
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Long Knife Rich

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 01:04:16 PM »
 Good luck on a worthy project.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 08:50:19 AM »
Try Homestead Parts (www.homesteadparts.com).  They have some original as well as new manufacture parts.

That's a good link, BB.  Great site for 1873 parts as well as the 1876. :)

GA
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 10:27:41 PM »
Ive come across a original stocks. However its either the front or the rear and not both. If I want to go with originals should I try and find them as a set so it all matches up? I could also use some advise on what caliber o should go with. I was told it was a rounds barrel 45 60 when I bought it. Upon further inspection it was a octagon barrel due to the witness marks. Personally I like the 45 75 although ive never shot either. So what would you guys do? 45 60 or 45 75?

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 09:15:19 AM »
The 45-60 is easier to reload for and brass is less costly or can be made from 45-70 brass.  The 45-75 was the original round for the 1876 and is cool looking. 

If you are going to go through all the work to build it on the original frame I would go with the 45-75.

Silver Rings
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 11:11:46 AM »
I have to agree with Silver Rings. The main reason that I went with the 45-75 was because of TR's use and acclaim for it.  Mine is an early one with the "Uberti" chamber.  I really like it tho and yes, the cartridges have an appeal to them.  So that would be the way that i would go.  Hope this helps in your decision.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 11:26:33 AM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Ill start looking for a 45 75 carrier and barrel   ::)

Offline Winchester Charlie

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 11:06:46 AM »
High Plains Drifter,

Having been down this road myself, all I can say is it was the most rewarding build I have ever done. I was able to use mostly original parts, some are just sooo hard to find I used new pieces.

www.winchesterbob.com has the best original replacement parts out there, period.
But for screws, side plates and toggle links go to www.tapaderaswinchesters.com, Jim is a great guy.
I went with a replacement stock from www.gunville.com, Tom will make sure you get the best wood for your dollar.
Make sure you tell all of them I sent you.
Let me know what you need, I have a few spare parts, I'm even building a second one.

Charlie Kerns, aka Winchester Charlie.

"You better not start a fight......but you damn well better finish it" My Father.

Winchester 1866  44 HCF
Winchester 1873  44 WCF
Winchester 1876  50-95
Winchester 1886  45-70
Winchester 1887  12ga
Winchester 1892  44 WCF
Winchester 1894  30 WCF
Winchester 1895  30 US

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 07:57:05 PM »
Thank you Winchester Charlie. Right after I bought my frame I found your build posts. That is a beautiful rifle. That's pretty sweet you got that frame out of Wisconsin as that is where I live. That second one is looking good also. how long did it take you to acquire everything and build it? Were you able to use an original barrel as well?
Thank you again for the information. As far as what I need... well all I have is the frame and an original mag tube. I appreciate the offer.  
Donnie Weber the High Plains Drifter

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 01:05:23 PM »
I spent the better part of 3 1/2 years on it, taking the time to find as many parts as I could. Old parts just seem to pop up all of a sudden there will be a whole bunch of them, then they are gone for awhile, so be patient. My current project has an original 45-60 barrel but my first one I had a new barrel made for it because I wanted a 50-95, and those barrels are impossible to find, unless they are attached to a $15,000.00 receiver ;). One thing you will find out when you are piecing one together like this is the parts may not want to work together, these guns were originally hand finished, and some degree of that will need to be done to get the 'new' pieces to work together.  I spent hours filing on mine so they worked the way they should.  I could probably write a book on the whole thing if i wanted... ;D. Keep an eye out for possible parts guns, I bought two just to get some very hard to find and expensive parts off of. That's how I ended up with my second project, and if I really wanted I could start a third, but the receiver is cracked at the trigger, which is unfortunate as it is a single set trigger. It could be welded...maybe I'll get to it in time.  Anyways, I'll stop rambling.  Before you start filing on parts to make them work, remember, the screws that hold the lever and lifter springs in are used to adjust the timing on the original guns, Winchester even tells you that in the old manuals. The new repop's today are built for the screws to always be tight.

WC
"You better not start a fight......but you damn well better finish it" My Father.

Winchester 1866  44 HCF
Winchester 1873  44 WCF
Winchester 1876  50-95
Winchester 1886  45-70
Winchester 1887  12ga
Winchester 1892  44 WCF
Winchester 1894  30 WCF
Winchester 1895  30 US

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 03:52:21 PM »
Next to the frame patients is about the only thing I have for this project  ;D Where did you find your parts guns? Thank you for sharing your knowledge I know as I get deeper into this ill have more to ask.

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 08:54:53 AM »
I spent a lot of time searching the internet and i found going to gun shows and asking around works too. Once people find out your looking for old 'parts guns' it's amazing what you will find.  I ended up with parts for other Winchesters too, which is why I have the collection I do now. Give me some time and I'll go through my spares and see what I have that I am willing to give up. I'm out of town this weekend so by Wed of next week i should have something.

WC

Winchester 1866  44 HCF
Winchester 1873  44 WCF
Winchester 1876  50-95
Winchester 1886  45-70
Winchester 1887  12ga
Winchester 1892  44 WCF
Winchester 1894  30 WCF
Winchester 1895  30 US

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 05:12:22 PM »
hey guys just wanted to give you all an update on the Winchester. I was lucky enough talk to a guy on facebook that inherited all the Winchester parts his great uncle accumulated as a gunsmith. He gave me a very good deal on what he had for '76 parts.
internally all I need is the toggle links.  haha the search continues but coming along nicely.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com