Author Topic: Taylors Cattleman Difference?  (Read 4681 times)

Offline Slowhand53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Taylors Cattleman Difference?
« on: August 06, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
Just got my new Taylors Catttleman in .357 with 4  3/4 barrel. I know Taylors is a distributor and the name is marked on the top of my barrel. The site says their guns are hand picked but want to know if they change any of the internals as well such as springs, etc. or do any in house tuning. I have only used snap caps in it but it functions really nice. Its my first SAA so please bear with me.

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Taylors Cattleman Difference?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »
They are all Uberti guns. I have or have owned "cattleman" revolvers from Navy Arms, Dixie Gun Works, Cimarron, Taylor's,  EMF and a couple of importers that don't exist any more. They are all the same except for the barrel stamps.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 05:36:01 PM »
They are all Uberti guns. I have or have owned "cattleman" revolvers from Navy Arms, Dixie Gun Works, Cimarron, Taylor's,  EMF and a couple of importers that don't exist any more. They are all the same except for the barrel stamps.

Well, not entirely true.  The Cattleman from importers other than Cimarron will have the "hammer-block-safety", which is the linkage inside the hammer and the wedge-type block in the hammer face below the firing pin.  The Cimarron will have a standard Colt-style hammer.  There are a few other things, but they are mostly cosmetic, such as charcoal blue screws and hidden proof stamps.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:37:38 PM »

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 09:00:50 PM »
And the hammer block may not always be on all Taylors Uberti.   I don't think they are used on the Running Irons models. There may be others.  We have 4 Uberti Cattleman imported by Stoeger that have the hammer block safeties.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 09:16:47 PM »
Right, Taylor's upgraded models like Running Iron and Smokewagon do not have the hammer-block-safety.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:01:22 PM »
My first center fire handgun was a Cattleman with hammer block safety.   I've had it some 40 years. I ignore it for the most part. It's never caused a single problem.

The new cylinder pin safety is a nuisance and a potential problem.  Mary has had it slip back to safety setting while shooting.  And another time a Ruger owner tried to help her out by pushing the cylinder pin back in - not aware it was in proper position already.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 08:25:10 PM »
...The new cylinder pin safety is a nuisance and a potential problem...

Agree on that.  Fortunately it is a problem that is easily overcome by grinding off 1/8" from the rear of the pin and polishing smooth  :) (or just replace with a short pin)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »
I have Uberti's from different importers but prefer the Cimarron's and one reason is for the hammer without the safety. The Cimarron looks like a SAA is supposed to look.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com